It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gasoline seperating the masses.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Is anybody else starting to get a sinking feeling in regards to gasoline prices? If the prices keep going up it is going to become more unaffordable (if not already) for the poorer people in our country to afford gas. This is going to drive an even larger wedge between our people. Inflation and poverty is coming if we dont get these prices down. It is very unfortunate that right now the world is balance on the price of oil. Very scary stuff. It will soon be valued more than gold. Soon people wont be able to afford anything. What is going to happen when brick and morter business close down because everyone has to shop on the internet because they cant afford to drive anywhere. It is looking like dark times ahead.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 11:38 AM
link   
i don't recall gas prices going up alot with the other huricanes..i know this one was bad buit i didn't know that new orleans was sooooooooooooooo important to the oil infrastructure of AMERIKA. is there that much oil coming off of the oil rigs that were lost in the gulf?? it would be interesting to find out where that oil goes.

with all that we have seen about oil corps....why would we believe that they aren't useing this as ANOTHER reason to bilk people out of more $$$...you know the oil corps and hard pressed for cash.......

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by clearmind
i don't recall gas prices going up alot with the other huricanes..i know this one was bad buit i didn't know that new orleans was sooooooooooooooo important to the oil infrastructure of AMERIKA. is there that much oil coming off of the oil rigs that were lost in the gulf?? it would be interesting to find out where that oil goes.

It wasn't that New Orleans was so important as a city, but the gulf region, do you realize how many off shore drilling platforms are there and that they ALL had to be shut down because of the storm?

Not to mention the oil refineries that were shut down in the area.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 11:49 AM
link   
This is the scary part, are we so hard pressed for oil that we are using it as it gets pumped out of the ground? The storm just hit, and prices of oil and gas jump up almost immediately. Why? At this pace logically we will not have enough oil to meet demand, and then what?

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 12:06 PM
link   
What I don't get is why the pricers are going up now seeing that the gas we are buy from the pumps has been bought and payed for and in the gas station tanks and other storage unit.

Shouldn't we not see a price raise until these stocks have been depleted and not until then, same as fuel going up on long weekends, whats with that?
It's a rip off no more no less as far as I am concerned.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Gas is bought and sold based on prices determined by a futures market. So, when something happens that analysts think will effect the future, the prices react immediately. All those offshore wells were shut-in. That represents millions of barrels of oil that will not be produced on time. Supply will drop, but demand is expected to stay the same. The prices jumped up because of what is expected to happen in the future.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Look, i know this may sound a bit, way out there! But could this latest hurricane, and every other crazy types of weather the world is having, be man made!?

I am really not convinced, that every major weather related catastrophe is linked to, "climate change", "mother nature", or the normal patterns of weather on planet earth, over a long period of time. What do you think?

Is there more to this than meets the eye?

[edit on 31-8-2005 by veritas 7]

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 03:32 PM
link   
^There's a very good documentary on weather control called "Holes in Heaven". Try googling for it. It is about a government funded organization called Haarp who experiments with the Ionosphere, which could potentially alter weather and affect emmotions. People have been fearing weather control for a while now, in fact as early as the 70s they were signing treaties not to use weather control as a form of warfare. If they had that kind of knowledge then, imagine what they can do now!

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 03:35 PM
link   

What is going to happen when brick and morter business close down because everyone has to shop on the internet because they cant afford to drive anywhere. It is looking like dark times ahead.

Unfortunately, your logic is slightly flawed. Remember, Internet companies have to ship their products to you, meaning it still takes 'gas' to get the product to your home. Thus, regardless of wether or not you personally drive to a location to pick up the product, or simply purchase it online, you will still be indirectly paying for increased gasoline prices...

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Yeah thanks, barcs, but am aware of "Haarp" programme, which really does make me think this all could be a weather weapon in use.
I mean there are still many questions to be answered over the Tsunami, at Christmas.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I am a small business man and my van is an interagle part of my business.

If gas goes much higher I will not have any profit left and my only option will be bankruptcy.

I can only imagine the impact on folks that have to commute to low paying jobs.

I'm glad though that the oil companys can see record profits.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I suspect that if the oil keeps going up that the economy will end up like it is in Great Britain, with many local shops again. Or some variant of that. Not a lot more driving 20 miles to the mall (like I have to do because of location). This higher gas price thing is going to impact a lot of jobs... e.g. My daughter works for Applebees, and she has already stated that folks eating out is voluming down. We are losing our discretionary income quickly.

Either way the things go down, it will be interesting, to say the least, to see how it washes out.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Refining the oil into gasoline is the problem. 8 refineries have shut down due to the hurricane.

What I want to know is what good will releasing more oil from the Strategic Researves? Currently the U.S.A.'s refineries where operating at over 98%. We need more gas not oil. What the government should do is cut gasoline taxes temporarily and that will drop the prices.

When gas hits $4.00 a gallon, $1.98 is for taxes. Cut the gas tax and prices will drop...............

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by ferretman
Refining the oil into gasoline is the problem. 8 refineries have shut down due to the hurricane.

What I want to know is what good will releasing more oil from the Strategic Researves? Currently the U.S.A.'s refineries where operating at over 98%. We need more gas not oil. What the government should do is cut gasoline taxes temporarily and that will drop the prices.

When gas hits $4.00 a gallon, $1.98 is for taxes. Cut the gas tax and prices will drop...............

Exactly that's the story. My question is it true or are the oil companies using the hurricane as an excuse to cut refining much like enron did to inflate energy prices in Cali.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 04:56 PM
link   
quote: Originally posted by ferretman

You have voted ferretman for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have two more votes this month.

[edit on 31-8-2005 by siFtInG]

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by clearmind
iwith all that we have seen about oil corps....why would we believe that they aren't useing this as ANOTHER reason to bilk people out of more $$$...you know the oil corps and hard pressed for cash.......

Don't know if you're being facetious or not, but ExxonMobil is not exactly hurting for cash:

finance.yahoo.com...

Balance Sheet
Total Cash (mrq): 25.65B
Total Cash Per Share (mrq): 4.068
Total Debt (mrq): 9.09B
Total Debt/Equity (mrq): 0.087
Current Ratio (mrq): 1.493
Book Value Per Share (mrq): 16.589001
Cash Flow Statement
From Operations (ttm): 43.74B
Free Cashflow (ttm): 29.00B

But, be nice to them -- my inheritance is 75% XOM stock as my father worked for their minerals division (phosphate mining).

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Just so everyone knows, energy (ie oil and alternative fuels) stocks have been going crazy for the past week. Ever since Katrina hit. It is ashame that these companies are profiting off of other peoples loss, either indirect or direct. We struggle to pay for gas and corporations and stock holders get really weathy.

new topics

top topics

join