It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

National Guard to take over the south security

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 09:02 AM
link   
We are having a crisis of magnitude proportions in the south with the devastated areas of the hurricane.

The National Guard is to be mobilized to stop the looting and random sporadic violence that eventually will come when is not authority control in an area.

Yesterday the news media show even police officers looting in a wal-mart in New Orleans.

Are we facing heavy security problems in the south? When a city as big as new Orleans has to take its citizens and move them to another area for safety unrest and violence are to erupt, you can not have 100 of thousand of people around in a desperate mode without some complications.

Is our nation ready for something of this magnitude?

NEW ORLEANS, Louisiana (CNN) -- National Guard troops moved toward the French Quarter in an effort to stop rising unrest in flood-stricken New Orleans late Tuesday as police reported looting, attempted carjacking and shootings near the city's main shelter.

Some citizens are carrying weapons in open displace in many areas some to defend themselves others to cause damage.

How many National Guard troops we are going to need to take control? Are we ready for it? Do we have enough?

Hundreds of people were looting businesses downtown, throwing rocks through windows and hauling away goods from stores. Some looters were brazenly trying on clothes in the street. Police said the looting was happening citywide.

This is going to be the biggest test a president will have to go through in his term in office the stress of the situation most be incredible.

www.cnn.com...

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 08:43 PM
link   

as posted by Marg
How many National Guard troops we are going to need to take control? Are we ready for it? Do we have enough?

Marg, my understanding, based on what my wife has told me, there will be nearly 22,000+ National Guard converging on New Orleans. The numbers will vary per sourcing, I suppose. Her unit leaves Sunday a.m.

seekerof

[edit on 2-9-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I guess my thread is a littler bit old by now Seekerof, the latest news on the arrival of the national guard came from Iraq.

The first 300 troops were troops that just came back from Iraqi tour.

At least they are getting there better late than never.

Is nice to see them in the city it give people a sense of security, if is something I miss the most since my husband retired is having the troops all over the base all the time.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 08:55 PM
link   

as posted by Marg
I guess my thread is a littler bit old by now Seekerof, the latest news on the arrival of the national guard came from Iraq.

Yeah, I saw, but wished to reply anyhow.
I wanted to relay what I had heard.
The recovery process for New Orleans and the surrounding areas affected by Katrina will be long and heart wrenching for all of us.
Cut me some slack next week while I am gone.

seekerof

top topics

join