It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: 12.5% of Americans live in poverty

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 08:31 AM
link   
There are now 35.9 million people living in poverty in the US, up 1.3 million from 2002. The ranks of those living without medical insurance also rose by 1.4 million, to a total of 45 million uninsured.

www.msnbc.msn.com
By Martin Wolk
Chief economics correspondent
MSNBC
Updated: 6:04 p.m. ET Aug. 26, 2004

The nation’s poverty rate rose for a third straight year in 2003 and the ranks of the uninsured swelled, the Census Bureau said Thursday in a report sure to fuel election-season debate over President Bush’s handling of the economy.

Although the economy completed a second full year of expansion in 2003 after a recession that ended in November 2001, median household income just barely kept up with inflation and was statistically unchanged at about $43,300, the bureau said.

The number of people living in poverty rose by 1.3 million to 35.9 million people, or 12.5 percent of the population, up from 12.1 percent in 2002.

The rise was more dramatic for children. There were 12.9 million living in poverty last year, or 17.6 percent of the under-18 population. That was an increase of about 800,000 from 2002, when 16.7 percent of all children were in poverty.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The numbers for children in poverty and the uninsured are especially alarming. Ordinary people barely have adequate means to support themselves anymore, and the number of those in true poverty is growing at an accelerated rate. I'd like to see a survey to determine those at risk or on the verge of falling into bankruptcy and/or poverty. I suspect those numbers would be equally alarming.

[edit on 31-8-2005 by Icarus Rising]

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Okay, so the economy is expanding, but the poor are becoming more in number as well; where is all that new money from the housing expansion and the generally upbeat economy going? My guess is its not going to anybody in danger of being moved to the poor category at all but rather those already in a higher tax bracket altogether. Maybe some of that world aid we've been spreading around could have went to making the number of those living in poverty go down instead of up.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 08:47 AM
link   
What people dont understand is that there will ALWAYS be poverty. It takes the poor to make the middle and uper classes. We need all to make the system work.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 08:57 AM
link   
As Long as Other Countries are Liberated - everything is Fine and Dandy...

Gee - as I remember the US Military Budget was WAY up high.

And Looking at thigs today, the Cost of Iraq War has exceeded the Cost of Vietnam war per Day.

Well, somebody is receiving this Big Bucks - just not the ones who need it.

The War in Iraq Costs: $191,258,412,324

Instead, we could have built: 1,722,102 additional housing units

costofwar.com...

[edit on 31/8/05 by Souljah]

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 04:26 PM
link   
The issue here is what?
In 1998, 12.5% of Americans lived in poverty.
In 2003, 12.5% of Americans lived in poverty.
It simply fluctuates and military spending, which represents only 3.6% of the 11.7 billion dollar total GDP [the total world GDP is between 41-55 billion], has no bearing to and on poverty rates, Souljah.

Comparative:

Poverty Rate, 1973 to Present
Poverty in the United States

seekerof

[edit on 31-8-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
11.7 billion dollar total GDP

11.75 trillion

I reject the notion that poor people are inevitable. A country has an obligation to provide for all of its citizens. That extends to jobs, not hand-outs and any one who is working and still under the poverty line needs to take their employer to court.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 05:02 PM
link   
How do people explain Sweden, Switzerland, etc if poor people have to exist?

Even their poor have a higher standard of living than most people in other Nation's will do or dream of having. Free health care, relocation money for jobs, lower rates of tax, etc, etc.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Every country has a population of poor people, 12.5% isn't that bad actualy. Also the standards of living in the united states is pretty high. A family here you may consider as living under poverty would be considered wealthy if you compare them to some other parts of the world.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I just came to change that "billion" to "trillion", subz.
Thank you for correcting that for me.

My apologies.

seekerof

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Ahh but the rich are far richer in America than they are in Sweden. Thats what makes America a much better system.

Don't forget for many people poverty is only an illness / accident / disease away. With the outragious medical bills, that seems to be uniquely American, draconian, and barbaric. .

[edit on 31-8-2005 by Netchicken]

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I've never been able to understand how a country as wealthy as the USA can accept 1/8 of their people living in poverty so absolute that if they get sick they basically curl up and die.

In Australia we also see the haves charging far ahead of the have-nots but at least there are free public hospitals and welfare doesn't cut out after a certain time,although one now has to do volunteer work to stay eligible.

On latest figures the top 3% of the population controls 50% of the nation's wealth.On a planet that can provide for all of us easily it is a disgrace to see people dying because of a lack of money.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 03:00 PM
link   
There are no poor in USA. If you really want to see poor people visit some 3rd world coutry.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 03:23 PM
link   
to those who dismiss the rising poverty and refuse to recognize how the military budget hampers social works programs then please watch this and I WOULD LOVE TO SEE A NEOCON, REPUBLICAN, DEMOCRAT OR ANYONE ELSE DEBUNK THE FACTS.

truemajorityaction.com...

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Odium
How do people explain Sweden, Switzerland, etc if poor people have to exist?

Even their poor have a higher standard of living than most people in other Nation's will do or dream of having. Free health care, relocation money for jobs, lower rates of tax, etc, etc.

I have a "funny" Swedish story, really. My mother was recently there to visit some friends - who, to the naked eye, appear to be doing fairly well. So, when my mother went grocery shopping with her friends, she noticed that one of them was pocketing bread, cheese, etc... in her coat. So my mother asked her about it when they were eating that evening, and her friend said that most people in Sweden have to result to theft for a meal because the prices are so outrageously high. It is common-practice by most, and no one is usually arrested for it, if caught - even police have to do it as well.

As far as taxes go, the reason why they have free health care, relocation money, etc. is because they pay up the ass in taxes! The common folk of Sweden/Switzerland are not living in the lap of luxury. The poor may appear to live better than elsewhere, but poor is poor, and people will do anything to survive.

There are good things and bad things about America (just like any country), but again, poor is poor, and many of us here live far better than most people in other countries.

[edit on 9-1-2005 by EmbryonicEssence]

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 11:46 PM
link   
More from wikipedia on poverty:

There is significant disagreement about poverty in the United States; particularly over how "poverty" ought to be defined. Using radically different definitions, two major groups of advocates have claimed variously (a) that the United States has eliminated poverty over the last century; or (b) that it has such a severe crisis of poverty that it ought to devote significantly more resources to the problem.

en.wikipedia.org...

new topics

top topics

join