It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poverty and None hispanic whites

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 08:27 AM
link   
I found this article interesting, it seems that poverty among none hispanic whites is growing in the US.

But who are "non hispanic white"? what is considered "Non hispanic white"

Why is this happening?

1.1 million more Americans in poverty
37 million Americans total living in poverty in 2004, according to the Census Bureau.

It seems that Asians had the highest income per household compare to all groups.

Why is this?

Could it be that professional jobs are becoming scarsed.

Black households had the lowest median income among race groups, at $30,134, while Asian households had the highest, at $57,518. The median-income for non-Hispanic white households was $48,977 and was $34,241 for Hispanic households.

Could it be that outsourcing is hurting the non hispanic whites more than any other races?

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Outsourcing is definitly hurting us. I have a major problem with them calling us non-hispanic whites. Why are they calling us that? This race thing has become way to much with way too much emphsis on what color a person's skin is. Not to mention that calling people non-hispanic whites is like saying your not as important as hispanics. Also has the over tone of making caucations or whites a sub-race. What are they trying to do make another race rift between people?

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 04:35 PM
link   
You know I am as surprise as you when I came upon the article I had no clue that it was such think as none-Hispanic, whites taking in consideration that Hispanic is a race on itself.

I have been looking into the definition of none Hispanic white and I can not find an specific one.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 12:33 AM
link   
I found a definition for you using the dogpile search. It is better than google, since looks through all major search engines including google.

www.census.gov...

WHITE NON-HISPANIC -- Whites who are not of Hispanic origin. Subtracting this group from TOTAL gives the total of all individuals who are Hispanic and/or a member of a race group other than White.

It is interesting how your news source switched the words around. Either way it doesn't settle with me.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 08:11 AM
link   
thanks for the link, it seems to me that the whole deal of the naming is to create more confusion as what racial background they are actually targeting.

I am Hispanic but I will said that this is very confusing.

Hispanics who are either Black,
American Indian or Alaska Native, or Asian or Pacific
Islander.

Excuse me where I am from we are all Hispanic regardless of colors.

I guess the census micro manage everything and create subgroups that may help with the data collected and may even look better when they add their results.

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
But who are "non hispanic white"? what is considered "Non hispanic white"

Who you ask? Well people like me, in other words white people basically european americans people who's ancestors came from europe from 1600 until now.

taking consideration that hispanic is a race on itself

Well actually not, there are technically only three races african, asian and caucasian(everybody who isn't african or asian such as whites, hispanics and arabs etc.

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Well my ancestors came to Jamestown in 1622. Before that they were in Germany. I am so sick of this BS. Either you are an American or you are not. PERIOD.

No offense to people on this board who are not from the US. I am just getting tired of the rantings here over nothing. If you live in the US you are an American. Not black, gay, hispanic..........AMERICAN

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by just_a_pilot
No offense to people on this board who are not from the US. I am just getting tired of the rantings here over nothing. If you live in the US you are an American. Not black, gay, hispanic..........AMERICAN

No offense taken. The problem is that it is not regular citizens who are catagorzing ourselves. It is the government who is doing the catagoritizing for us. Fill out any from from taxes to employment and the race question is asked. It is used in concenses, polls, marketing, and etc.

I always felt all questions that are related to race be removed from all forms, polls, and etc. It just helps people to focus on race, and makes them identify themselves with a particular race. How can the government expect us to let go of all race issues when they themselves won't.

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by danwild6
Well actually not, there are technically only three races African, asian and caucasian(everybody who isn't african or asian such as whites, hispanics and arabs etc.

You should tell that to the government because when I have to fill out papers it does ask what race I am and "Hispanic" is in the there many will even ask "Hispanic, Caribean"

And by the way have you heard before about "La Raza"

Mexicans consider themselves a race on their own.

I am Spanish from the Islands of the Caribean PR.

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 02:31 PM
link   
The government does things for political reasons. The government does things to satisfy their particular constituents. Not to be scientifically accurate. Just a pilot it's nice to see someone with a good sense of patriotism. You got my vote for way above

[edit on 23-9-2005 by danwild6]

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by just_a_pilot
Well my ancestors came to Jamestown in 1622. Before that they were in Germany. I am so sick of this BS. Either you are an American or you are not. PERIOD.

Hum. . .no so fast. . .

The entire continent of the "New World" was called the "Americas" in the name of Americas Vespusio that was the one that first pointed out that this land was not the Indies like Columbus though but a brand new continent.

So in reality anybody that live in the "Americas" regardless if is north, central or south of it.

Its considered an American, North American, central american, or south American, we all Americans.

Now if you want to exclude yourself from the rest of "America" then you should emphasize US of America.

Funny right?

[edit on 23-9-2005 by marg6043]

posted on Oct, 16 2005 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Are saying that the only category for Caucasians now is called non-Hispanic whites? Are there non-Hispanic blacks and non-Hispanic Asians too? Or are only the European Americans lumped together in this way?

Are saying that the only category for Caucasians now is called non-Hispanic whites? Are there non-Hispanic blacks and non-Hispanic Asians too? Or are only the European Americans lumped together in this way?

This sounds like just another way to punish "whitey" for the sins committed by the white elitist government. But why should America's white people take the blame for the crimes of the rich and powerful who number only one percent or so of their kind? Does this form of ass kissing give the oppressed minorities some sort of perverse satisfaction to finally see whites forsaken by their own government as they have been?

But instead of letting our fear and resentment of each other divide us further, we can choose to use this to our advantage. Now that the playing field has been leveled so to speak, can't we finally learn to embrace and accept each others differences once and for all. We're all victims now and were all in this together. By uniting we become a force to be reckoned with and that's exactly what our government fears.

new topics

top topics

join