It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South Korea launches its T-50, the world's first supersonic trainer jet

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 04:25 AM
link   

South Korea began mass production of the world's first-ever supersonic trainer jets, named T-50s, Tuesday under a 6.4-trillion-won ($6.2-billion) project aimed at promoting its military aviation industry. The project includes the development of supersonic fighter jets.

President Roh Moo-hyun visited a factory of the Korea Aerospace Industries (KAI) in Sachon, South Kyongsang Province, which rolled out the first T-50 in the morning, to congratulate the nation for becoming the 12th country to produce supersonic aircraft.

"T-50s are one of the world's best trainer jets, whose capability and stability have been proved", he said in a speech during a ceremony.Defense Minister Yoon Kwang-ung and several lawmakers also attended the event.

"The country's Air Force will acquire a state-of-the-art weaponry system when A-50 attack planes are developed and the procurement projects of next-generation fighter jets and the airborne early warning and control system are completed in the future", Roh said.

The KAI plans to produce and deliver 94 T-50s to the Air Force by 2011, starting with two jets by the end of this year, according to officials at the state-run company.

South Korea launched the T-50 project in 1997 in a technological partnership with U.S. manufacturer Lockheed Martin. The local content of the craft, which currently stands at about 60 percent, will increase on a gradual basis.

The 13.13-meter-long, 9.45-meter-wide and 4.94-meter-high plane can fly at a maximum speed of Mach 1.4 and as high as 14,630 meters. The T-50 is equipped with a range of advanced systems to train pilots in both current and next-generation combat jets, as well as featuring sophisticated anti-air and anti-ground weapons systems.

Citing a market study by Teal Group, an aerospace and defense consulting firm based in Virginia, the United States, KAI officials said T-50s would dominate the world's trainer jet markets.

The report predicted South Korea can expect to sell about 800-1,200 T-50s by 2030, which will account for 27-41 percent of the world's trainer jet market. Each T-50 costs $22-23 million, higher than other competitive trainer jets.

Full article >>

Very cool and congrats to the Koreans for this new achievement.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Its a nice design and would make a decent cheap fighter (maybe for NZ etc) BUT......

The first supersonic trainer was the Northrop T-38 which has been flying since the 1950's.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Yeah, I love the T-38 BTW, it looks good, it's been in the Thunderbirds and NASA has also used it to train astrounauts...

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Nice-looking jet. I have done no prior research to this before posting because I have 28.8 dialup and I am somehwat lazy at 6 in the morning.

This looks like it stemmed from the T-5 or something like it. I know there is a jet with the same fuselage and stuff, but I don't think it had delta wings.

Can anyone clarify my mad rants?

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Darkpr0
Nice-looking jet. I have done no prior research to this before posting because I have 28.8 dialup and I am somehwat lazy at 6 in the morning.

This looks like it stemmed from the T-5 or something like it. I know there is a jet with the same fuselage and stuff, but I don't think it had delta wings.

Can anyone clarify my mad rants?

T-50 GOLDEN EAGLE JET TRAINER AND LIGHT ATTACK AIRCRAFT, SOUTH KOREA
The T-50 Golden Eagle, formerly known as the KTX-2, jet trainer and light attack aircraft is being built for the Republic of Korea Air Force, RoKAF. The aircraft is being developed in the T-50A advanced trainer, T-50B lead in fighter trainer versions. The T-50 LIFT is called the A-50 by RoKAF. The T-50 is designed to provide pilot training for current and next-generation fighters like advanced F-16s, F-22s and the Joint Strike Fighter.

The first flight of the T-50 took place in August 2002. The RoK Air Force has a requirement for 50 T-50 trainers and 44 T-50 LIFT. The trainer achieved Initial Operational Assessment in August 2003. RoKAF placed a production contract for the first 25 T-50 in December 2003 and delivery of the aircraft is scheduled to take place from late 2005 to 2009. 1,000 flights have been completed in the test program. The Lead-In Fighter Trainer (LIFT) version took its first flight in September 2003 and has begun weapon delivery flight testing.

Here's the links,

www.airforce-technology.com...
www.globalsecurity.org...
www.aeroflight.co.uk...

Cool Aircraft (mini F-16)

[edit on 31-8-2005 by Jezza]

NR

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 12:13 PM
link   
looks like most countrys nowadays are going with the F-16 design, fighter versian will only be bigger but atleast it be better than NK's MiG-21 still used as of today.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 05:47 PM
link   
How do you expect mankind have wait upto 2005 to get its first supersonic trainer ?

as far as I know there are a lot of supersonic trainers in the market
of them are
the Russian S 54 and the US T-38 Talon there must be others too

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by NR
looks like most countrys nowadays are going with the F-16 design, fighter versian will only be bigger but atleast it be better than NK's MiG-21 still used as of today.

North Korea has MiG-21's? Didn't realise they were THAT advanced yet, thought they were still using the 15?

21 is too good for them when they use the T-34 on the ground, really.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I'd rather said that looks like MAKO training jet which was designed by Germany. Who has more news about MAKO?

[edit on 1-9-2005 by emile]

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 01:53 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 03:49 AM
link   
[QUOTE]Korea Aerospace Industries (KAI) rolled out the first production T-50 supersonic trainer last week and is preparing to deliver the aircraft to the South Korean air force in mid-October, although flight testing has been extended into early next year.

KAI completed the last of 1,146 sorties required as part of its full-scale development contract on 26 August, but the defence ministry has asked the company to conduct about 200 additional sorties, primarily to further test weapon delivery of the A-50 attack variant. KAI says it is negotiating a modification to its original contract that is expected to extend the test programme until late January, with the company to pay for the extra flights.

The manufacturer, which jointly developed the T-50 with the USA’s Lockheed Martin, is seeking to deliver the first production aircraft after about five extra sorties have been flown. These are needed to fully validate aircraft and engine operational limitations and prove the T-50 is safe for the entire flight envelope.

KAI is trying to convince the air force that the remaining sorties can be flown after delivery because weapon testing is needed only for the A-50, which will not be delivered for four years.

KAI is now aiming to conduct the first of 11 acceptance test flights on the initial production aircraft, originally scheduled for 18 August, on 10 September. If the current schedule holds, the last of the test flights will be completed in mid-October, allowing the aircraft to be delivered before the Seoul air show begins on 18 October.

The air force says it plans to begin using the T-50 at Kwangju airbase in 2007. The service had planned to begin flight training for the first batch of instructor pilots this month, but this is likely to be delayed because the two A-50 prototypes are needed for the extended flight test programme. One of the two T-50 prototypes and the first production aircraft are scheduled to be demonstrated at the Seoul air show and then be disassembled for shipment ahead of November’s Dubai air show.

The United Arab Emirates is one of four near-term export candidates for the T-50, along with Greece, Israel and Singapore. KAI says it is now negotiating with vendors in an effort to reduce the aircraft’s price and make it more attractive to potential buyers.

“We are actively marketing it in Europe, the Middle East and other parts of the world,” says KAI chief executive Hae Joo Chung.

South Korea ordered 25 T-50s in December 2003, and KAI expects to receive a follow-on contract next March for 25 more T-50s and 22 A-50 lead-in fighter trainers.

Article ....[/QUOTE]

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 03:50 AM
link   
South Korea plans to decide by year-end on an advanced configuration for the Korea Aerospace Industries (KAI) A-50 for close-air support (CAS) missions, and will also respond to a company proposal to simultaneously develop an F-50 fighter variant to replace its air force Northrop F-5s. KAI hopes to launch development of the A-50+ for CAS roles in late 2006.

Seoul has included 22 CAS platforms in its initial 96-aircraft requirement for the A-50 and T-50 trainer, but since 2003 has been evaluating several items of equipment to improve the A-50’s survivability and lethality. KAI says some additional equipment has won tentative approval from the South Korean air force, but a configuration will not be finalised until later this year.

Equipment under consideration includes a radar warning receiver, countermeasures dispensers, night vision capability, a forward-looking infrared sensor, datalink and Textron Systems’ CBU-105 Sensor Fuzed Weapon. The same equipment, plus a third multifunction display and several heavier weapons, are also included with the proposed single-seat F-50. KAI says Seoul may purchase up to 160 F-50s and a decision is due by year-end.

Hinting at a positive decision, South Korean president Roh Moo-hyun says: “The T-50 will be a cornerstone of the superiority of our air force’s air defence power and allow it the ability to change or improve the configuration of the aircraft, which will ultimately allow us to develop an indigenous fighter in the near future.”

An F-50 purchase would sustain KAI’s T-50 line beyond late 2012, when the last of South Korea’s 22 CAS-configured A-50s will be delivered following a recent one-year slide in its production schedule. The air force has also delayed the delivery of its last A-50 lead-in fighter trainer from December 2010 until mid-2011.

article>>

[edit on 7-9-2005 by Stealth Spy]

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 09:43 AM
link   
It looks a bit like tha Hawk...
If anybody is interested...

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Not the first supersonic trainer. Please read about SEPECAT Jaguar..that's just off the top of my head.

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 11:48 AM
link   
T-50 MAKES ITS FLYING DEBUT AT THE KOREA AEROSPACE & DEFENSE EXHIBITION 2005

The T-50 Golden Eagle advanced jet trainer made its aerial debut and showcased its versatility today at the Korea Aerospace & Defense Exhibition, also known as the Seoul Air Show. The aircraft was developed and is being marketed worldwide by Korea Aerospace Industries (KAI) with the assistance of Lockheed Martin.

Noted for its maneuverability, supersonic speed and ease of operation, the T-50 is an economical solution to prepare pilots to fly current advanced aircraft, such as Lockheed Martin’s advanced F-16 or fifth generation F-35 Joint Strike Fighter.

“I personally hope the T-50 is recognized as the most powerful, high-energy jet trainer in the world through this air show demonstration flight,” said Lt. Col. Choong-hwan Lee, Republic of Korea Air Force (ROKAF) T-50 test pilot. “The demonstrations of high-G turns, inverted flight, loop, loaded roll, slow flight and a short field landing during the flight were incredible.”

The T-50’s advanced performance features make it an outstanding, cost-effective trainer and provide the key building blocks of operational flexibility and supportability. Its systems form an overwhelmingly capable lead-in fighter trainer and light combat aircraft, soon available to air forces around the world subject to U.S.government approval.

“We are very proud to demonstrate the capabilities of the T-50 at this air show,” said Hae-Joo Chung, KAI president.

With a robust integrated logistics support system, the T-50 provides a cost-effective bridge from primary trainers to high performance operational fighters.

Full article >>

^^Lt. Col. Choong-hwan Lee at the Seoul Air Show after the debut flight of the T-50 advanced jet trainer, which was displayed at the show Oct. 18.

JPG, 3.6 MB High Resolution Photo

NR

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I think Shafagh is the best trainer so far, its already made but the fighter versian is yet to come out.

external image

Mod Edit: Image Size – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 19/10/2005 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by NR
I think Shafagh is the best trainer so far, its already made but the fighter versian is yet to come out.

x 100 times.

Is that a joke ? ...This Iranian airplane is the best trainer ...
... this is a joke, right ?

is it proven that this thing can even fly ? Heck..its never flown as yet ... all that exists of it is a fibre glass mockup of it...what is the basis for your far fetched - baseless claims ?

BTW : here are some other pics of the Shafagh .... a iranian continuation of the Mig- I 2000 (or the Viryaz 2000).

The original russian Viryaz :

The iranian variant :

another mockup :

P.S : This thread is about the T-50. Please dont bring up some unrelated aircrafts and try to hijack the thread.

[edit on 19-10-2005 by Stealth Spy]

NR

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 12:33 PM
link   

x 100 times.

Is that a joke ? ...This Iranian wannabe airplane is the best trainer ...
... this is a joke, right ?

is it proven that this product from an islamic nation like iran can even fly ? Heck..its never flown as yet ... all that exists of it is a fibre glass mockup of it...what is the basis for your far fetched - baseless claims ?

first off all Shafagh trainer is based on yak-130 so it is exceptional and better than your countrys crappy fighter LCA= last chance aircraft
the reason why its not flying its because its first flight is to be by 2008 so dont worry about it and theres another prototype to be out so calm down buddy.

[edit on 19-10-2005 by NR]

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by NR
better than your countrys crappy fighter LCA= last chance aircraft

I am sorry but i reject your warm invitation to a flame war.

NR

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stealth Spy

Originally posted by NR
better than your countrys crappy fighter LCA= last chance aircraft

I am sorry but i reject your warm invitation to a flame war.

I expected something better for you to say but when you say things like these ''This Iranian wannabe airplane is the best trainer '' than you would know how i response. Keep them to yourself next time than there wouldnt be a flame war or something close to it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join