It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tupolev joins team creating Russia’s next generation jet, the MS-21

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Plans for the joint development of a new-generation Russian single-aisle airliner are gaining momentum following an agreement between Tupolev and its two rival design bureaux. If the plans are successful, the first of a three-model, 130- to 170-seat airliner family – dubbed the MS-21 – could enter service in 2012.

The Russian federal agency for industry awarded Ilyushin and Yakovlev an initial contract for development of the MS-21 in June covering the cost of preliminary design, due to be completed by mid-2006, after which a decision will be made on whether to proceed to a critical design review, to be complete in 2008.

The project team includes production plants Aviastar, NPK Irkut, Smolensk Aviation and VASO, as well as lessor Ilyushin-Finance and the National Reserve Bank. There are two potential powerplants being studied. ZMKB Progress, Motor-Sich, MMPP Salyut and UMPO are proposing the D-436TX geared fan and Perm Motor is proposing the PS-12 turbofan. Both promise 7-8% specific fuel consumption reduction compared with the CFM International CFM56-7.

The MS-21 and the Sukhoi RRJ regional jet are the two projects being used to drive major technology breakthrough efforts to restore Russia’s position in the global commercial airliner market.

MS-21 chief designer Andrei Matveyev estimates the airframe would cost around $1.3 billion to develop, with a further $300-500 million for the engine.

Target price for the mid-sized MS-21-200 is $35 million, compared with $56 million for the similarly sized Boeing 737-700. Among the design targets are 15% better structural weight efficiency, 20% lower direct operating costs and 15% lower fuel consumption than that of the Airbus A320.

Almost one-third of the MS-21 would be composite by weight at the time of its service entry, including the centre wing box. This ratio would increase to 40-45% by around 2015 when a composite wing structure is adopted.

Fu ll article ...

Hmm... very interesting and very cool

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 05:44 AM
link   
While I think it's great they're coming out with a great new commercial jet, NO WAY will I fly it if it has Russian built engines on it. I've heard the horror stories from Russian flight crews about the engines.
The Condor has to sit for two minutes at full power to make sure the engines don't fail on takeoff.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
While I think it's great they're coming out with a great new commercial jet, NO WAY will I fly it if it has Russian built engines on it. I've heard the horror stories from Russian flight crews about the engines.
The Condor has to sit for two minutes at full power to make sure the engines don't fail on takeoff.

There's nothing wrong with Russian stuff, its the old Soviet stuff you gotta watch for... Hehehe... In like WWII they had a few thousand war planes that were ready to go-Engines not included!

Great post. Tupolev always did may cool airplanes, its good to see them on civilian use.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 12:21 PM
link   
The russian civilian airplanes were crap. They were unrelieble, extremely loud and inneficient. Let's hope this one will be better.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 08:48 PM
link   
It seems this is a pride project. I am not sure that it has a lot of commercial potential apecially since the only customers will be Russian airlines...

I doubt any international airline will seriously consider buying one of these...

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by longbow
The russian civilian airplanes were crap. They were unrelieble, extremely loud and inneficient. Let's hope this one will be better.

Yes, like the Tu-144 that was out BEFORE concorde, bigger, and faster. Plus the saftey record was pretty much the same, shame the French got jeous and forced one to crash.

Either way, Aeroflot had one of the best saftey record ever up until the late 70's.

It is good to see Tupolev coming back into the market though (Y) Could use more than just Airbus dominating the scene...

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Russia jsut closed a deal for some jets to be sold to a country in south america I think..Don't remember which one though..
So the market's there..

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Hmm, I read some stuff about the increasing life-cycle costs of Russian Aircraft. So after a normal 25-30 year lifecycle you might end up having spent more than on an aircraft originally more expensive but cheaper to maintain. But I am too lazy to find a source for this

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 07:13 PM
link   
en.rian.ru...

Russia offers China advanced aircraft project

13:42 | 24/ 09/ 2005

DALIANG (China) (September 24 - RIA Novosti) - Ilyushin and Tupolev corporations invited China to join a series of projects to develop state-of-the-arts avionics and aircraft, Vladimir Belyakov, Ilyushin deputy director general, said at the Forum of Russian-Chinese Interregional Cooperation in Daliang on Saturday.

"In particular, work is in progress on the MS-21, a medium-haul jet that is expected to be 20% to 25% more efficient than Boeing or Airbus aircraft," Belyakov said.

These airplanes should replace the Russian-made Tu-154s, more than 600 of which are currently in service. Furthermore, the PRC could buy about 400 such aircraft.

"If everything goes according to plan, first new airplanes will take to the skies some time in 2012," Belyakov said.

Russia is offering the project on a shared financial risk basis, with the aircraft to be manufactured in China. "Neither Boeing nor Airbus has offered the PRC such terms," Belyakov added.

In early September, China signed a contract to buy a large number of Il-76 transport airplanes for the People's Army of China.

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I'm a bit of a cynic as regards the Russians launching an airplane of this size at this point in time. Airbus and Boeing are both working their next generation single aisle airplanes, and I've gotta beleive they have the technologies, dollars, and industry clout to do a better job than the Russians. In addition Bombardier is looking seriously at launching their CSeries for entry into service circa 2010.

I can only see two good outcomes for this:

1) its just a Russian PD study...little implications, little dollars

2) if they are serious, it's success would probably be confined to Russia/China. It won't compete well against the Boeing's of the world. Its one thing to talk about 20%-25% better than Boeing and AI, its another to actually deliver.

Anyhow, if anyone comes across more info on MS-21, would appreciate if they would pass it along.

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by longbow

Dream, my fellow Americans dream.

I flew US, European and Soviet/Russian Aircraft. There is no difference for passenger comfort, although the European were less noisy - but the Tupolev 154 which was in the air 4 years before the Boeing 727 was much less noisier.

Soviet/Russian pilots do not slam their aircraft on the landing strip, and pbviously take a pleasure in sailed landing - unlike their US and SOME European pilots.

Given the massive route the civilian airlines have in Russia, and the relatively fewer accidents per passenger-miles than their US counterpart, I can only presume that the noise I hear is just dreams of supremacy awaiting either waking up, or realizing that you cannot compete and win by ignoring the merits of your competitor!

top topics

join