It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Politically Correct

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Why is it that you Yanks - who else, have invented all this Politically Correct
crap?

Why have you Yanks invented the sue you - sue me industry?

What is the point? Why do it?

What do you hope to achieve - apart from alienating normal law abiding citizens and turning them in to criminals.

It's bad enough here in the UK with all the Health & Safety crap we have to put up with, without somebody telling me what jokes I can or can't tell.

I am so
teed off! What's wrong with me?

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 02:40 PM
link   
ive just read a previous post of ur fritz....i think no-one replies to ur posts...coz.......ur too good
ive posted replies to ur before so on somethings im right behind ya mate......
on this one, i dunno i dont think you can blame the americans mate for all that...coz after all we (well not me ) are all part of the eu (biggest load of crap going ) but thats another point altogether
for all the PC stuff you can lay the blame at that poxy government of ours who have tried to let the (un-informed) english people believe the eu is the best thing since sliced bread...

IT AINT...........it will be the death of ENGLAND , just wait until the euro-crats have got their hand on 'ol Blighty then we will see the changes (for the worse)

anyway thats me done
just thought i'd give you a helping hand with ur threads:

SAY NO TO THE eURO

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Spymaster, I know what you're saying and alot of it is true.

But who started it? The
Yanks!

I just don't understand why you can't call a spade a spade. If you call a shovel a spade by mistake, does the shovel get upset. Of course not - it's a genuine mistake - and they look the same.

But for the shovel to sue a spade for calling him/her a spade because his/her 'rights' have been violated - is, in my view,
stupid!

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 01:42 AM
link   
We didn't invent it..I swear.
Well, not the average "we" in the US.
Our lawyers invented it for us.
We didn't realize how offended we should have been, all these years.

I really appreciate the legal community for pointing out how offensive
we are towards each other.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 02:35 AM
link   
This ranks right up there with me finding out that I still owe people money, or have to be super careful of what I say because my great great great great grandparents might have owned slaves and I might offend them with my comments. Why should I have to worry about tiptoeing around subjects because it might offend someone, or why should I have to worry about something that happened how many hundred years ago? IT HAPPENED, get over it. I hate PCness, it's the dumbest thing to come around yet.:bnghd:

[edit on 1-9-2005 by Zaphod58]

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 07:54 AM
link   
It what happens when people mean well but dont understand what they are talking about.

For instance my girlfriends neice told me off for singing Baa Baa Blacksheep because shes been taught Baa Baa Greysheep.

What a load of arse, i asked her dad and he told me that someone at the nursery decided that black people may offeneded by a song because it has the word black in the title.

Morons. All of them. Political correctness has a place in making sure that rasicsts and scum arnt given to many oppertunities to shout their bigotry. Not kids nursery rhyms.

As for the compensation culture, thats American through, appealing tothe lowest common demoninatior in society, those petty and small mided individuals who refuse to either take responsibility or accept that accidents happen. My old school organised a trip for me and my friends to walk accross the country.Today its been cancelled because ifa kid sprains his ankle the school may be sued.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 08:43 AM
link   
The sue-me/sue-you mentality in America is so prevalent, because we are all so used to our citizens and businesses being incompetent on many levels, so that it is easy for people to desire to file civil suits. Seriously, the average American isn't that bright, but is highly specialized in just one or two things and nothing else.

We Americans are also quite conditioned to pursue anything that can obtain quick cash. Lawyers here advertise quite frequently to help us sue one another for any time we feel wronged.

[edit on 1-9-2005 by ben91069]

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by fritz
But for the shovel to sue a spade for calling him/her a spade because his/her 'rights' have been violated - is, in my view, stupid!

What rights? Political correctness is a social thing, not a legal thing. You can say whatever you want, but people get to respond to it. In the US, there are hate crimes, which perhaps is closer to what you are ranting about. If you, for example, beat the snot out of someone while shouting racial epithepths, its considered a hate crime, in addition to the beating. I don't see whats so terribly wrong with this. Infact, I don't see whats so terribly wrong with people say 'could you please not use that term, we're very much insulted by it'. Obviously you don't have to stop, but why not, if it is offensive and the intent is not to offend no?

And whats it got ot do with suing people? You can't be sued for being racey, short perhaps of being someone's boss or superior and doing that kind of stuff, and even then its the company that has the problem.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I absolutely agree with you Nygdan.

However, I still feel it's an insult to my status as a 'single, white male', to be continually told what I must and what I cannot say to people who are not white, Christian or from this country.

Never in my wildest days would I be intentionally racist.

Neither would I be a Homophobe. I have a couple of friends who are gay.

Neither am I a Xenophobe. I like people wanting to come to my country and settle here and contribute to our way of life and our economy.

What I can't and don't like, is the way certain members of the heirarchy - Government or otherwise, who tell me not to do this or not to do that!

It really
me off!

Another things that really
me offis the fact that we have to be nice to 'ladies'. I work with 4 women who can give as good as they take and in two cases, they dish out more. Yet if I am heard swearing in front of them, I get carpeted and receive a verbal warning.

My boss has just gone through an inquiry because his PA is trying to work her ticket and has dredged up incidents that happened over 6 years ago.

When he reprimanded her for continually being late for work and for knocking off too early, she complains that he is harrassing her.

This PC nonsense has gone on for far too long. We, the common people, must try to put a stop to it.

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Personally I think some lawyers got bored and thought of new ways to make easy money.

As far as politically correct nonsense...I would read what George Orwell had to say about language and politics. Ever read 1984? Ever hear of Newspeak?

Orwell was spot-on.

top topics

join