It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Suicide?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 01:51 AM
link   
ATS is slowly cutting her own wrists. It seems everyday is a new post explaining what we are and are not "allowed" to do. Theres sarcastic/arrogant posts made about "so you want to make a post" or condescending lectures about whats allowed. I think what the staff fails to realize is that while its their board, its NOTHING with out us. And slowly, the people are leaving.

What the admistration (I think) just doesnt get, is that the majority of the people dont want to post there(PTS). They(me) want to post on ATS. If theres bickering, so be it. Let the people argue. If someone is truely out of line, lets the mods handle it. Thats what they're there for. Dont give me a line about how they cant be there all the time, either. BS. Get more mods then. If you are one and cant spend the time, then let go of the ego, and resign. But handle it.

The thought of keepin ATS strictly for conspiricies is just wrong. There are no more. Everything has been done to death. 9/11, kennedy, UFOs, its all the same. Its all been posted so many times that within minutes of anyone makin a post, someone chimes in with "we've discussed this on this thread.."

PTS is lame and dead. Why not just make a new forum on ATS for politics, ban the jerks who swear and threaten, fine the sh*t out of thread hijackers and leave it at that.

The powers that be seem to think they are helping the board. Theyre not. Theyre killing it. Or according to MY conspiricy: Simon wants to make the board a news only forum, obtain huge numbers so someone like FOX or MSN takes note, makes him offer and hes rich! But thankfully since the board has been taking small doses of poison, it dies quickly after being bought. With all the loot simon made, he relaxes in the islands, and starts another small little board and watches it grow up......just like this one...

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 02:03 AM
link   
If you don't use PTS then it will wither and die. PODCasting is the future. I expect it to be reinvigorated when we get some good political podcasters from lots of different angles.

I don't use PTS because I usually avoid political discussions ... most of the time

Why do you feel Political Baiting and Sniping is a good thing?

Oh yeah Simon doesn't completely "own" ATS anymore it's a Limited Liability corp or some such with Simon, SO and Springer as part owners.

Thus we decided to create the ATS, L.L.P. (Limited Liability Partnership) between Simon Gray, Skeptic Overlord and myself, Springer.

From here

[edit on 31-8-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 02:09 AM
link   
I do agree that either ATS should be open to national news as well as consperacy or someone should create a sight like this and be open to consperance and news. Im not sure ATS realizes that if they do not allow such news reports as the NO Hurricane Katrina, people would not be able to give as much support to those in need, and we would be off in another fantacy land while New Orlands is being washed away by a hurricane. As you can see, there is consperacy in everywere you go, so please let news articles sustain there vitle roll, and as long as the people know that this is a consperacy based sight, they will keep thinking of what may happen and biuld there own consperacys in each news article.

I dont understand either why some people have a problem with bringing up the same topic, there are allways new idias, and everyone is not informed in the same thing. Life would become very boring if it was.

The Surrealist

[edit on 31/8/05 by The Surrealist]

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Why do you feel Political Baiting and Sniping is a good thing?

Me, I dont....but if two want to duke it out, it IS a discussion board, afterall. But like I said, ban the hijackers. Simple. No need for condescending posts scolding the whole place like kids. Mods-- do your job...simple...

Oh yeah Simon doesn't completely "own" ATS anymore it's a Limited Liability corp or some such with Simon, SO and Springer as part owners.

So? Just more power and room to grow. Trust me, I can almost smell a sale of this site. Thats why they are pumping it as a news portal with a "conspiricy slant". Once one of the big boys takes note of it, they'll all make out like bandits.

But since they regulated any life out of it, it will quickly die. But they'll be there to fill the void with a new board........(of course, I could be off on this)

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Saddly, spliff2040, IMCO it ain't just politics that they don't want "disscussed with passion" on ATS. Another Australian politician just tried to take his own life AFTER resigning, Victoria Police is leaking like a sieve and baby%#@*#*@ (sorry but I can't call them the "P"word as what they do is not love) are let out ahead of their short sentanced time to live among kids, but there are those who don't want these topics even brought up without "proof". The issues that need real attention paid have to be all but a final court transcripts before certain members will even give them serious concideration let alone let the topic run without interference. It strikes me as telling that the felling of the twin towers still garners more interest than stopping organizide child sexual abuse. Remember folks, before any "proof" comes a hearing but if we can't even get a hearing.....

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 02:29 AM
link   
4020, ats has certainly changed since i came here. it does seem like the same old stuff repeated over and over. if you stick at it long enough, one can read every angle on every conspiracy. after that, its not too exciting anymore. I agree the podcasts should rejuvinate ats a bit.

there does seem to be a lot of rules lately. but this thread is part of the problem i think.. we discuss things like this because weve already done everything else... oh well.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 02:29 AM
link   
suzy ryan--

U seem pretty worked up about that! Weve got some pretty tough laws on predators here. Theyre getting tougher to. Im sure theyd welcome a post about it. I would make sure the grammers in check though. Your post was little hard to read at first. Have you tried posting it on here? Also, under what section was it posted?

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 02:30 AM
link   
I can't speak for Simon or SO or Springer but from interactions with the latter two I am confident ATS is going in the right direction.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 02:33 AM
link   

but this thread is part of the problem i think.. we discuss things like this because weve already done everything else... oh well.

Naa, I love the fact I can bitch about this site to them. Its kinda cool. Alls Im sayin is that they need to merge PTS back into ATS. Just a new folder. It would end all this nonsense. Let em fight, but keep it clean. PTS wont do anything till 08. For all the worry about saving server space, they should just dump PTS.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
I can't speak for Simon or SO or Springer but from interactions with the latter two I am confident ATS is going in the right direction.

Yup...the right direction to fluff it up and make some $$$$...Hell, you can even buy a coffee cup now!

Look, you have your conspiricies, I have mine. I bet theres more truth in mine than in any "Bush is a reptillian" threads....

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 02:36 AM
link   
I read new level?
www.abovetopsecret.com...l
I think ATS dropped a few levels really....
I look at the threads and they seem to be moving more slowly than before. I need more content not censorship. The Mod's should just ban the political bashers and stop moving threads around... this place is starting to get a little boring for me.

But of course I never tried PODcast..... But I like listening to C2C while reading the threads... will see how that works out.
I wish the best for ATS, hopefully it will be better in the long run.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 02:36 AM
link   
I have posted a few times at PTS. A few threads.

They all pretty much die out.

I have noticed that there is no Canadian politics section, but global politics.

oh well.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 02:41 AM
link   
You mean Bush isn't a reptillian?

ATS may indeed be sold. I'm sure they'll recieve offers, maybe they'll even accept one of them. I would, if I were them. Man's gotta eat.

It's the natural order of things. They grow and grow and grow until they collapse and die.

It's nothing to get all worked up over, honestly.

In any case, you're supposed to be argueing the race issue with me in a Katrina thread, what the hell are you doing creating threads about melodramatic nonsense and loafing around in them? People are depending on you spliff.

Chop-chop, back to work with you.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 02:50 AM
link   

In any case, you're supposed to be argueing the race issue with me in a Katrina thread, what the hell are you doing creating threads about melodramatic nonsense and loafing around in them? People are depending on you spliff.

Well, there we go..........another thread where racism is brought up..

lol...

And honestly, Im not refering to anything that has happened to me, personally. Its just a general feel. Its just a post by some late-night, hopped up on Vicodin, because he got in a fight with a cat and lost, badly, guy who misses the old days on here, when everyone was still scared from 9/11. Theres like a whole core of old posters who have gone. I wonder why...

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Quality Versus Quantity

I've been following this process closely, both as a member and as a Councilor. In particular, I have been following warns, bannings and the associated complaints, and am a witness to much of what has been going on.

Despite the fact that I support the recent crackdown on baiting, sniping and political trollery, it's still my job to represent member interests to the staff. So far, I have found the staff to be very fair about warns and bannings.

Perfect? No, but reasonable to an almost uncanny degree.

Some members prefer to beat their chests and distort what's going on for dramatic effect. Whatever. If you really feel put upon, it's more your own interpretation than any official policy.

If you're having a lot of heartburn over this, my opinion is that it's not exactly fair to blame the staff for your own desire to quibble.

Are post counts going down? Is board activity slowing? Maybe. I'm not really paying close attention.

But my sense is that all of the Three Amigos would rather see fewer posts of higher quality than more posts of lower quality. If there's a decrease, it's a decrease in cut-and-pastes, trolling threads, one-liners and flame wars.

The senior staff are apparently willing to exchange quantity for quality, and if that's “suicide”, then sign me up.

Police Brutality

On a related note, some members have expressed concern about moderators not practicing what they preach and taking liberties in threads that members cannot take. I have been all over that issue, I can assure you, and there has been some candid discussion of this behind the scenes.

My report to the members is that the staff is sensitive about this issue just as I am, and are keen to avoid giving so much as an impression that they are being bullies.

That said, some members have filed complaints that have caused me concern as well (mods are people too). The staff sees them, we discuss them case-by-case, and they do care.

From the other side of things, I ask my fellow members to bear in mind that mods deal with the worst behavior members have to offer, and it's a grueling job. After a hard day of seeing the same people doing the same irritating (read “boneheaded”) things, mods can sometimes come off as brusque in the threads. You can only sugarcoat warnings and corrections so many times before you get diabetes.

The mods know about this phenomenon and are mindful of it. If you see moderator behavior that you think is wrong, I encourage you to submit a complaint.

If your complaint is bogus, it will tend to be ignored. Don't expect to hear back if you're just venting or (horrors!) disagree with a mod on some topic or another.

But if your complaint is valid, action will be taken -- though it is rarely publicized to avoid unneeded drama. Behind the scenes, however, mods keep an eye on each other, and when someone makes a bad call, other mods aren't shy about saying so. It's not exactly a brutal environment, but they don't tend to mince words about it, either.

The admins, supermods, mods and Council staff all look at complaints, and most members would probably be surprised at how much discussion each one gets. I know I was quite surprised when I first started following the complaint forum.

The staff and Councilors do listen, and we do care.

We also read the forums, and we see what goes on in them.

We act accordingly.

P.S. Speaking as an obviously major fan of ATS PODcasting, I am very excited about the feature, and plan to spam my contributions to it as long as my muse commands. But PODcasting is not a substitute for the discussion forums. As much as I love the bully POD pulpit, I still come to ATS for the discussion, and I still see that as the foundation of ATS's future.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 04:15 AM
link   
Well, majic thanks but I think you completly missed my point. Im not bitching about a warning or a thread being moved. Although I do get offended long winded, arrogant posts directed at everyone. This isnt a classroom and we dont need scolded. Deal with the offenders, let the people post...its simple.

I dont appreciate the condesending tone. Such as "oh the drama" Your a mod, get used to drama.

The podcasts have potential, but the 5 or 6 devoted to you pumping your new album is nothing more than free advertising for you and has nothing to do with anything consprical. Perhaps if you spent more time checking threads (since you admit you dont) youd notice the decline.

The reason? Its not fun anymore. Its almost as if posting on here has become a privilidge. If someone is a problem, then ban em. Simple. But alls you gave me was the standard form answer, to a question I didnt ask.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 04:23 AM
link   

I dont appreciate the condesending tone. Such as "oh the drama" Your a mod, get used to drama.

No he isn't he's our elected representative not a mod, an intermediary if you will. This is one of the reasons the council was created to address issue like this.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Just something to add.....

dont be sarcastic

dont post one line

dont swear

dont throw in a cheap shot

dont go off topic

dont turn it political (unless its on the other site we're trying to pump up)

My point is that its turning waaaay to PC around here. I understand the swearing bit, but as .38 special once said "hold on loosely, but dont let go...if you cling to tightly, your gonna lose control"

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 04:25 AM
link   
As much as I don't like Splif4020,
As much as I think he's a racist bigot that trolls around threads in order to promote his primitive white idealistic agenda on the members of ATS,
As much as I think he needs to stop making ignorant, general assumptions about a group of people based on the color of their skin,
As much as I think he will only listen to his side of the story because his belief system is so baked on old, southern doctorines.
As much as I believe that 99.9% of the time he brings absolutely nothing to the table of ATS.
As much as I think he views the status of an ATS member based on points and post.
As much as I think he will try to deny everything thats stated above.

I think this is a great post, splif4020 is indeed onto something.

The paradigm of ATS has shifted from a conspiracy site to a site dictated and organized by laws, rules, and clauses.

An organized government on a message board? Are you serious? Did that really happen?

I was nomitated for several categories on the council, I think I was the only nominee who didnt give a 'political speech' because I think the entire concept is overly silly.

It's enough that evertime I turn my TV on I cant escape the political banter that is polluting my set, but now they get my message boards also?

I'm not saying that its detrimental to the development of ATS, not at all. But its sure as hell not helping. The concept is just...I mean, am I the only one who thinks that an organized government, a council on ATS is just absurd?

If mods have a lot of work, make more members mods. Simple as that.
The concil is here to create new ideas for the community...ok but wouldnt it be more logical for the community to manifest new ideas for the community?

And then the limited liability...Jesus Christ. I think ATS should keep their buisness deals seperate from 'board buisness' because it has no relevance to us.

I'm not going to continue like this for much longer but I will say that the content of ATS has approached a level of absolute stagnation, spliff4020 made a good post about this, it probably will be overlooked as another 'doomsday of ATS' subject.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000

No he isn't he's our elected representative not a mod, an intermediary if you will. This is one of the reasons the council was created to address issue like this.

greeeat. Then discuss it. But when you start postin drama pics, your really settin an awesome example and really opening the floor up for discussion. When you post like your learing down the front of glasses at me, your just baiting.... The post was made as if Im complaining about receiving a warning or something.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join