It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NO Dome

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 12:40 AM
link   
There are so many threads on Katrina, don't know of this has been discussed.

Does anyone know if they will let people voluntarily leave the Dome at any time? I personally think that with the deteriorating conditions there, that would be the last place I would want to be at this stage....

I expect that it is a ticking time bomb waiting to go off...

I did see this....

www.nzherald.co.nz...

but, somehow I am very skeptical that they can really deal with the scale of such an evacuation...

[edit on 31-8-2005 by loam]

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 12:44 AM
link   
well of course they will let them out soon enough, but it's a security factor, they cant let them out if the risks are to high. they are not holding them hostage, they are just holding them to protect them.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Interesting question. I believe the answer is no, people are not allowed to leave, except by evacuation. They won't be allowed back into the city for at least a week, maybe several months.

There have been some..incidents at the dome already. I imagine things will only get worse.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 12:45 AM
link   
So if you chose to sensibly leave before things really hit the fan, you are saying they wont let you?

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Yes. I believe that's the situation.

The men with guns are making sure nobody leaves, because it's dangerous outside.

Those nice men with guns will make sure nobody gets hurt, even if they have to kill them as a precaution.

That's my understanding anyway. I'm more than a thousand miles away, in the misty mountains, so my understanding could be way off base.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 02:42 AM
link   
The situation is very dismal in the dome. I've been reading about the conditions, they're deplorable.

One woman commented that it was worse than prison, seeing as in prison you get to use the toilet, eat, and drink water when you're thirsty.

Here's a couple of links.

Link 1

Link 2

Lemme know if those links work. They do for me, but they may not for others.

In any case, there are reports of rapes, a suicide jumper, armed civillians running through the corridors, feces on the walls, along with blood, people banging on metal shutters and screaming at guards to bring them water.

Nasty indeed.

One woman claims to have witnessed a rape in the women's bathroom, along with others. They apparently didn't stop it, and the culprit disappeared back into the crowd without being apprehended.

Others have been without necessary medicine for days. People suffering asthma who don't have their inhalers have to suffocate in the nasty heat building up inside that place.

It's hard to sleep without fear of theft or assault, so people are not only dehydrated and hungry, they're scared and suffering from a lack of sleep.

It's bad and getting worse, from what I can tell.

I can say this much, if I lived in the area when the storm hit, I certainly wouldn't have gone to the superdome. There's an interesting line in one of thsoe links above, it gives the impression that people aren't told they won't be able to leave the dome until they're already in the dome.

Did anyone else get that impression?

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 07:37 AM
link   
This is actually a very interesting question. I'd like to reach a little further though.

At this point, if you're in the SuperDome, do you have the freedom to refuse to be bussed to the AstroDome? OR, are you basically forced to go?

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 07:45 AM
link   
I just saw on MSNBC that chopper evacuations of the dome have been halted because of gunfire aimed at these choppers.

This whole situation is way out of control.

Moreover, I think what is happening with this dome situation is VERY instructive as to what (or where) you may not want to go/be during any future disaster.

------------

Adding link...

news.yahoo.com.../ap/20050901/ap_on_re_us/katrina_superdome_evacuation_hk1

Superdome Evacuation Halted Amid Gunfire

NEW ORLEANS - The evacuation of the Superdome was suspended Thursday after shots were fired at a military helicopter, an ambulance official overseeing the operation said. No immediate injuries were reported.

"We have suspended operations until they gain control of the Superdome," said Richard Zeuschlag, head of Acadian Ambulance, which was handling the evacuation of sick and injured people from the Superdome.

He said that military would not fly out of the Superdome either because of the gunfire and that the National Guard told him that it was sending 100 military police officers to gain control.

"That's not enough," Zeuschlag. "We need a thousand."

He said that shots were fired at a military helicopter over the Superdome before daybreak.

He also said that during the night, when a medical evacuation helicopter tried to land at a hospital in the outlying town of Kenner, the pilot reported that 100 people were on the landing pad, and some of them had guns.

"He was frightened and would not land," Zeuschlag.

He said medics were calling him and crying for help because they were so scared of people with guns at the Superdome.

[edit on 1-9-2005 by loam]

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 08:41 AM
link   
call it what you will, but if you can no longer make desissions about where you wont to go, You ARE a prisoner!

Granted it may be for there on saftety, but those in the Dome are prisoners of FEMA

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freedomrik
call it what you will, but if you can no longer make desissions about where you wont to go, You ARE a prisoner!

Granted it may be for there on saftety, but those in the Dome are prisoners of FEMA

I can't help but to agree. Under circumstances like these, I would not want the government to seize control of my ability to protect my own saftey interests. I suspected all along that the DOME would be the worst place to be under these conditions.

I may have mentioned previously that my family surviived Hurricane Camille. The lesson learned from that experiance was that what happens AFTER the storm is far worse....Ask anyone who has actually experienced one of these....They will all agree.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freedomrik

Everybody likes to pile on FEMA. Hell, FEMA isn't even there yet, it is the city government of New Orleans who is calling the shots. The other thing is GO WHERE? The only way out of the Superdome is by helicopter and boat. Watch, soon you are going to start seeing helicopter gunships with orders to take out anyone with a weapon.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by JIMC5499
Watch, soon you are going to start seeing helicopter gunships with orders to take out anyone with a weapon.

Oh wont that make a lovely vidoeo clip for the evening news; gunships opening fire on people and mowing them down... If they are taking people out via helicopters its no wonder they are mad, thats a very slow and limited method for removal. Oh well, time to sit back and watch the new rulebook be played out first-hand.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 09:37 AM
link   
i think it's going to get way worse. i told my wife yesterday that in teh coming days people will start dying and not from injuries from katrina. people are being forced to stay in the dome and they are gonna get pissed. people outside the dome are not being let in and they are going to start going off. they are already starting fires outside the dome, shooting at a chopper. it's a sad, sad day. what can be done though? no matter what is done it will not be fast enough.

i would think that my instincts would have kept me away from the dome. i probably would have made sure i had my few arms and went off on my own with my wife to just try and survive and get out o fthe city. 60k people rushing to the same place is not a good idea. thats how problems start

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by alternateheaven
Oh wont that make a lovely vidoeo clip for the evening news; gunships opening fire on people and mowing them down... If they are taking people out via helicopters its no wonder they are mad, thats a very slow and limited method for removal. Oh well, time to sit back and watch the new rulebook be played out first-hand.

I am not talking about MOWING THEM DOWN. I am talking about returning fire if they are shot at. There are armed mobs down there who are stealing the food supplies from hospitals and nursing homes, busting into drug stores, setting fires, robbing and raping people. If they have so much energy how hard is it for them to start hiking out of New Orleans? I'd give them one chance to put down their weapons and if they don't TOO BAD. An Apache has a nice accurate gunsight.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 11:15 AM
link   
it almost sounds like it is worse at the dome. the guy from cnn is saying that people are starting to drop dead. these people don't have food or water and they are not allowed to leave. he said it don't appear that there are any officials in charge of anything. he said every so often swat will roll by and that about it.

that sounds like a bad scene

*edit, the convention center, not the dome

[edit on 1-9-2005 by Boondock78]

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 11:33 AM
link   
This whole ordeal is f____ disgusting. People are being held against their will in that dome, and all that talk about "it being for their own safety" is bull. They are keeping everyone there so looting doesn't get out of hand, the gov will try their best to salvage what's left of NO. Sure originaly people where better off in the dome, but it is obviously getting out of hand, all those people need food and water to stay alive. I don't know what the architecture of the dome is but it must be crowded, hot and detremental to your mental well being. People will obviously start freaking out creating a chain reaction of unfavourable events. I say people should be able to leave and make their own way out of the city, sure it's risky but I think they have a better chance then being caged in that place.

**Alot of of NO is poor already, WTF will they do when it comes the time to start their lives again?

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 11:50 AM
link   
i agree with the obove post. people should be allowed to leave the dome/convention center or whatever. i think they are doing just what yu said. keeping them there so that they know that those people are contained and can not cause trouble even though in a sense it is killing them one way or another

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 12:12 PM
link   
1st off I'm not american so if my inaccuracies offend you forgive me. I do beleive I heard on cnn (pfffff Cnn) that 25 000 people from NO will be "shipped" to texas to stay in the "whatever dome". Now I don't know if anyone noticed but alot of the population in NO is black, and texas population, being a southern state (is it a southern state?) is predominantly antisemetic white. Now all of these people with virtually no possessions or money are going to go to texas to rot in another dome, untill what? Another disruption occurs untill those people can no longer be held in TX......then what happens???

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 12:15 PM
link   
after seeing people sitting outside a dome rotting i don't see why the ones that are able sit there. why don't they get up and walk their asses out of the city. maybe instead of looting tv's they could have looted a raft so if they hit water they can float their asses out of the city. they are sitting outside the convention center rotting and dying. they said that there are guys that are getting drunk all day and then fighting with each other all night. good idea to get wasted when you're dying.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
OR, are you basically forced to go?

I hope they're forcing people to go. They want to evacuate the entire city, these people need to be moved into camps and shelters, not returned to the wreckage of a city.

Freedomrik

Irrelevant.

loam
I would not want the government to seize control of my ability to protect my own saftey interests.

What ability? Your city has been demolished and then flooded. Its streets are filled with sewage, looters, and violent gun firing mobs. Stay in the dome, deal with the stink of urine. Your 'house' is just a pile of vinyl, urine, and feces now anyway.

people should be allowed to leave the dome/convention center or whatever

Absolutely not. The city has been devastated, its under martial law, they're going to stay in that dome until another shelter can be readied, and then they are going ot be moved there. Once a security permited is set up around the destroyed city, then people can be released to find their own shelter outside the city or choose to stay in the camps/shelters. The city has to be off limits, the population needs to be removed, the situation needs to be stabilized, food and medecine needs to be disbursed, and then people can start applying to go back to what was their home and retreive property.

but alot of the population in NO is black, and texas population, being a southern state (is it a southern state?) is predominantly antisemetic white.

Um, no. There are black people in texas, there are white people in new orleans.

Another disruption occurs untill those people can no longer be held in TX......then what happens???

They're not permanent wards of the state. Also, martial law is in effect in new orleans , not texas, once transported to texas or wherever, the military can not hold them.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join