It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Looting vs. Survival

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by dr_strangecraft

Bush ordered the mobilization of FEMA and national guard units to "standby status," and declared Louisiana a Disaster Area more than 12 hours BEFORE Katrina's LANDFALL. This was only the second time in us history a president has declared a disaster before the event took place.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

I read the read the article you linked - it doesn't say anything you say it says. Hope you realize that blows your credibility all to heck.

The article DOES say that Bush addressed the issue after the mayor of New Orleans declared an emergency and ordered evacuation.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 05:41 PM
link   

I read the read the article you linked - it doesn't say anything you say it says. Hope you realize that blows your credibility all to heck.

Did you read the dateline?

Updated: 5:05 p.m. ET Aug. 28, 2005

That was 4:00 p.m on Sunday night in New Orleans. Katrina didn't make landfall until the next day, at about ~ 6:00 a.m.

Maybe that will assuage the blot on my "credibility rating" before the international tribunal of thoughtless anti-government hacks.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 05:47 PM
link   
They should send a few apache or cobra gunships in and see if the low life scum wiill take potshots at them

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Did you read the dateline?

Maybe that will assuage the blot on my "credibility rating" before the international tribunal of thoughtless anti-government hacks.

Don't care about the date. My point was that the article did not say what you said it did. Speaking of incompetent hacks.

...FYI - I am disabled and very sick - and know you and your sort prey on people like me at every opportunity - then justify your behavior by any means necessary.

So let's keep it civilized and shelve the abuse - okay, sport?

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 06:01 PM
link   
There were areas of NOLA that I was very nervous about driving through before the hurricane. I hated driving in the city period. NOLA has always had a high crime rate. The lawless element apparently decided to stay. They should just fill the whole city in then build it up several feet and rebuild on that.

Consider this, you are livining in a hole that is six to ten feet deep. You are surrounded by water so you have to build a wall all around your hole. You have to run pumps 24/7 to get rid of the water that seeps in on a daily basis. Now someone tells you that alot more water is on it's way. Just how economically challenged would you have to be to stay?

I had the choice to live in NOLA, but I chose Slidell which is about 12 feet above sea level. It meant a 1 hour commute to work and 1 hour home. I moved to TX back in January, but had I stayed, I would have evaced. There was a reason that people on higher ground north of NOLA were evaced. People who are not prepared to survive usually don't.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow

Don't care about the date.

In other words, you don't care to have it pointed out when someone else is right.

I never said "here's an article that says so and so." I made some claims about when and what someone (President Bush) did, and that he did it before the storm came aground, and about how that is unusual. I posted the story BECAUSE of the dateline, as evidence of MY OWN claims.

But then, I'm not about to waste any more effort on the likes of you, who comes to the table pre-convinced of your own omniscience.

In your world, to point out soficrow's mistakes is "preying" on you. But you're sure as hell looking for a mistake you think I made.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Bush ordered the mobilization of FEMA and national guard units to "standby status," and declared Louisiana a Disaster Area more than 12 hours BEFORE Katrina's LANDFALL. This was only the second time in us history a president has declared a disaster before the event took place.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

Your presentation implied the link substantiated your claims.

As you admit, the article doesn't say anything like what you said.

The article DOES say that Bush addressed the issue after the mayor of New Orleans declared an emergency and ordered evacuation.

Have a good day.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Phew!... Finished?
YOU'RE BOTH CORRECT!

It's about being civilised when you're world goes wrong.
Do you do anything to protect yourself and your family from disease, hunger
and depravity... or do 'tow the line' and hope that you're next for the rescue
from a goverment of the world's most powerful country?

From abroad I say, put the guns down, there are no bears or wolves swimming in the
mire.
I say this, aware that it's not me or my loved ones in danger... Let New Orleans show the true American spirit.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I would like to saying something

I don't think anyone has stepped back to really look at what has happened to these people and thier mind set right now.

When they get in the stores if what they want isn't there I'm sure thier first thought is goin to be take anything of value because I can sale it and get the food I need.

I think they are all in shock and I don't think they realise, after seeing everything they own be destroyed, that the city is not goin to be back up and running in a few days... I don't think they realise that it could be months... I think thier taking anything of value may have been with the motive to sale it the next day the next week and buy the food and necessaties that they require that were already taken from the store. It probably didn't even cross thier mind that the whole city was without electricity and that tvs wouldn't work... without radios or tv themselves they may have thought that a few blocks over or a mile away there was some sanity...

Come on people, no one there can be thinking striaght right now and while distruction of property should be stopped... they should open all the doors wide on every store there and look the other way... These people are poor and have no transportation or they would have been out of that town before the storm hit....

To those who took tv's and shoes or whatever.... that may be the only thing in this damn world they can still claim ownership of...

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chevy
I would like to saying something

I don't think anyone has stepped back to really look at what has happened to these people and thier mind set right now.

When they get in the stores if what they want isn't there I'm sure thier first thought is goin to be take anything of value because I can sale it and get the food I need.

I think they are all in shock and I don't think they realise, after seeing everything they own be destroyed, that the city is not goin to be back up and running in a few days... I don't think they realise that it could be months... I think thier taking anything of value may have been with the motive to sale it the next day the next week and buy the food and necessaties that they require that were already taken from the store. It probably didn't even cross thier mind that the whole city was without electricity and that tvs wouldn't work... without radios or tv themselves they may have thought that a few blocks over or a mile away there was some sanity...

Come on people, no one there can be thinking striaght right now and while distruction of property should be stopped... they should open all the doors wide on every store there and look the other way... These people are poor and have no transportation or they would have been out of that town before the storm hit....

To those who took tv's and shoes or whatever.... that may be the only thing in this damn world they can still claim ownership of...

Yep Chevy, I think you're right on that.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I was talking with friends on Friday night about the impending doom on New Orleans. The Weather Channel said on Friday night that they expected the hurricane to head directly for New Orleans and that it would strengthen to at least a Category 3 but it would probably be a strong 4. Our government knew that it was going to cause devastation over a huge area. It was a very large hurricane just in sheer size.

How long does it take to fly and drive in the National Guard?

How long does it take for FEMA to respond?

How long does it take for the leader of our nation to crawl out of his Crawford vacation home to address the nation and help calm the fears of the survivors?

Why did our loving President go against the recommendations of the State of Louisiana and the Army Corp of Engineers and cut the funding to repair and reenforce the levees protecting New Orleans knowing that the hurricanes are becoming more numerous and more fierce?

Why was The American Red Cross the only agency waiting for the storm to arrive? They were ready to act on a moments notice.

There was a report on CNN that talked about some Air Force personnel playing basketball at a park while homeless survivors of Katrina were being bussed in to an Elementary School. Why weren't they helping? According to the report is that they were not under orders to help in the effort. Why would these military men living and serving so close to the devastation not be ordered to help in the effort. If you had lost everything would you not be upset with the government for not having these men who signed up to protect America and its citizens not help? It baffles me that the resources closest to the devastation would not be involved.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 07:00 PM
link   
This city has always had a high crime rate. I'm not the least bit surprised at what is going on there. As usual, the bad element is getting most of the press and alot of good stories are not making it to the news.

The city’s murder rate is still far lower than a decade ago, when New Orleans was the country’s murder capital. But in recent years, the city’s homicide rate has climbed again to nearly 10 times the national average.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

These people are NOT NOLA. They are the handful of opportunist that are present in any city. This city has a high low income population and there is alot of gang activity. Some people are just trying to survive. Others are out to get what they can. Put the population of any other city in NOLA right now and you would see the same results.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Um, yeah. Compassion-shmassion. Firing on Coast Guard rescue helicopters is a PERFECTLY rational response by people who are obviously in such a state of shock that they can appropriate firearms and organize themselves into small roving bands to take whatever the hell they want. Kill these people. Gun them down where they stand. The human race is going to be better off when they are not around to contribute to the gene pool any further.
And there are people down there who are complaining that their MREs were not good enough to eat. Are you F****** kidding me? This entitlement society takes it this far even when they are in a disaster situation. My God. Why don't you thank the deity that you have food, you savages. Your government doesn't owe you # you thankless welfare recipients. Oh, wait. What am I saying? We should perpetuate your sedentary lives so you can consume more resources on our dollar and just breathe in and out in your stellar contribution to the rest of humanity. Wow. Let me go down there right now with my moms jewelry and I'll just pass it out because you obviously deserve it.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Boondock78
cnn just reported that there are a couple high schools with severl hundred in each school trapped on the upper levels. they need food, medical care and need rescued. sorry but that type of stuff should be the proirity no the looters. all these guardsman are coming in and they are putting them on the street to stop the looters instead of rescuing these people. thats messed up

I have to disagree. Since this was not handled at the onset, the criminal element has been emdoldened by the lack of order, resulting in even more difficulty in getting help to those who need it.

I understand that folks are hungry and scared, but why the heck are the rescue crews being shot at? Why are there now reports of kids being raped in shelters? I am sorry, but I do not see the logic in any of this and think that FEMA needed to put NO under martial law as soon as they saw there were going to be problems.

My understanding of the situation is that a large group of the criminal element (the people who were stealing TVs to feed their families, um...) have comandeered a hotel to use as their "base" and are threatening to kill people if they are forced to evacuate. I am not talking about the shop owners, I am talking about people running around with assault weapons

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 09:37 PM
link   
The National Guard is great for responding to such crises at home. Traditionally, that is one of their major roles. But where are so many thousands of them? Of course, Iraq, fighting an abnormally expensive war of dubious necessity. Of course, makes perfect sense when it comes to the security of the homeland.

How much less anarchy would be going on if they were deployed in New Orleans?

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 10:16 PM
link   
A day after declaring an emergency for Louisiana, Bush declared an emergency for the state of Mississippi. Federal emergency workers were sending water, food and other supplies to staging centers in the Southeast expected to be affected by the powerful storm.

Bang. There it is. In the same article you scrutinized so closely.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Lets take the Superdome for instance...

All of these big shots from FEMA, and the National Guard keep saying that they have delivered all these supplies and the people are being taken care of....however, the reporters and the homeless people at the Superdome have said that everything is failing. There is no food, water, or supplies coming in.

Ok, lets look at the NO Convention Center.

One of the head FEMA people was talking on TV tonight live. He said the reason that no supplies have gotten to the Convention Center is that they just learned of the location today. Hmmmm...does the government not watch TV? They have been talking about the convention center since Tuesday. Why is it 48 hours before FEMA finds out. Is communication that bad?

Regardless, there is a major difference between what are leaders say is being done and what the reporters and people on the ground say is being done. Paula Zahn of CNN has been putting these leaders on the spot and they are stuttering a lot. Watch some of these people talk.

Remember, none of the people in NO have radios, TV's or phone service. They are completely cut off. They have no clue what is in store for them. They can only guess they are f**ked more than just losing everything they own with no food, water, or sanitation.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misfit
TV's/stereo's/anything not neccessity ...... lock 'em up and book 'em.

Diapers and baby milk ...... jeez, help the lady get it !!!!

This is where the difference between a Police Officer and a Pig come into play. This one was obviously, in my thoughts, a genuine Pig.

Oink oink SQUEEEEEL !!!

Misfit

Yeah, a lot of good those TV's will be when there is NO ELECTRICITY!

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Well the VERY FIRST Federal Government supply helicopter with water arrived in Biloxi today so maybe that's why they're looting everywhere!

We just filled up the Astrodome about an hour ago. We're at capacity according to the County Judge, something like 25,000. We're full. San Antonio is still available as is DallasI think.

(EDIT): I just found out the fire marshal and not th county judge shut down the dome and there are less than 10,000 people there. I don't know why they didn't take the 25,000 as thought.

[edit on 1-9-2005 by TexasConspiracyNut]

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by TexasConspiracyNut
Well the VERY FIRST Federal Government supply helicopter with water arrived in Biloxi today so maybe that's why they're looting everywhere!

Amen, finally....someone that is watching television. The people in Biloxi have been without water since Sunday night. Let's see how we all act after 4 days without water.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join