Looting vs. Survival

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I am not advocating the shooting of looters although it may be legal. What I am referring to is the attitude that looting businesses doesn't hurt anyone because they are insured or that they make too much money. One of the main rules of business is that all costs are transferred to the consumer. That is you and me. I could understand someone taking food and water, but what I have a problem with is all of the additional destruction. When the door is already open why smash out the windows?

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by DARKJEDIG
Oh well, its just inherent in some people to steal, the poor taxpayer is screwed I truly feel sorry for you. I hope they set up a donation scheme, I would surely donate a few quid!
Very nice sentiment, and I'm sure your donation would be put to good use. There are several organizations that are assisting in aid, and one that has been prominently promoted by many civic leaders is The American Red Cross.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Let em take what they want.....like some have already said...they can't take it far.....plus like you or I are gon'a go to one of those stores and bye a TV there....I would not spend Thousands of dollars on a large plasma TV from that area.....got get it in a Dry part of town ....or clothing...the smell would be great of sewage/fuel/stale water....ok the jewllery that's another story
NOT...if it was my store I'd take my gems out'a there
....let em' have something now...they have all suffered enough.

Y'r Canadian friend,
Sven

I hope that man and the children that lost there wife/mother...hope they get the Biggest Jumbo/Plasma TV they can find.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 06:37 PM
link   
see something wrong with these pictures
Edit: wrong links

[edit on 31-8-2005 by Conspicuouz]

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Conspicuouz

Your links go to a login page.

Misfit

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misfit

Originally posted by Conspicuouz

Your links go to a login page.

Misfit

sorry about that, updated it.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan

Rather than everyone else having a heart, she should've had a brain. This hurricane didn't spontaneously form out of the bright blue sky over new orleans. She should've stocked up. She should've gotten some washable diapers so as to not have to replace them.She commited a crime.

Its especially important to be heavy handed with theives at a time like this, when the whole city could turn into a looting riot.

Also, survival? No. There are shelters and soup kitchens and fema. She choose to steal, rather than prepare or accept the help that is being offered. She's the grasshoper, the ants shouldn't feel sorry for her, let her play her fiddle in jail.

You are basing her actions on your state of welfare within your current way of life, not to mention - from your damn computer. I guess you know the lady, to think she could have left, or stocked-up, or was even fully cognative of the scope of this pending hurricane [perhaps having dealt with several before this].

Of stocking up, ie: washable diapers ....... I guess you don't really watch the news - you going to put a diaper back on your baby that you just washed and rinsed in fuel, feces, urine, blood, toxin infested water?

Misfit

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Most of the people left in NOLA had nowhere to go to begin with. Unless you consider that they could have gone to the superdome with the other 10,000 plus folks. Most of the people you are seeing are very low income folks. They are looting their own neighborhoods which may not be there much longer. Non-violent looting was allowed until folks started getting violent.

The psychology of it is that many of them are giving up and going into survival mode. It it sheer animal instinct now. You can't possiby judge it unless you've been there.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Many people in the "projects" of New Orleans had no access to leaving the area. Many of those who survived the storm have no way of getting to safety. There is no transportation because of the high waters. Many are isolated to a small area that they can get around. They have to use the supplies they can get their hands on.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by svenglezz
I would not spend Thousands of dollars on a large plasma TV from that area.....got get it in a Dry part of town ....Y'r Canadian friend,
Sven

Now that Canada receives the FOX network, you'll want the biggest TV you can get, my Canadian friend.

How do we compare price-gougers with looters? What they do *may* be legal, but is it right? Should they also be penalized?

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Conspicuouz,

So the blacks "loot" and whitey "finds". Is that the point you are making?

nothing to see here...move along.

peace

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 10:08 PM
link   
the proof is in the pudding.
i report, you decide

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Can't wait for a picture of a Mexican

Bet labled as one of those Gang members

Y'r Canadian friend,
Sven

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Timcouchfanclub
THEY ARE BREAKING ONE OF THE TEN COMMANDMENTS.

But the people who own those peoperties (TV, stereo, clothes...ect) Have every bit of right to sit there with a gun and kill them. PROTECTION OF PROPERTY

According to you they should have no right to kill, Because that would also break a commandment.

I was thinking more department store then personal porperty, as department stores have multiple floors, some stuff might be unharmed. Still I would have to be in that state of mind to tell you if I would pass up getting stuff for my survival from others houses.

Its a bridge I never want to come to either.

[edit on 1-9-2005 by 7th_Chakra]

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 02:26 AM
link   
There has already been a police officer shot in the face, he's expected to survive thank god, and a police station got shot up by an AK47. Because of this, there are now probably a couple of hundred police officers taken off rescue detail, so that they can be in the city at night to make sure no one is on the streets after dark, until sunrise. Personally I'm with the "Shoot looters on site" crowd. I don't know what I would do in their position, but I like to think that I would have been smart enough to find a way out of there, or barring that I would go to a shelter or find some way to get help.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 04:23 AM
link   
The looting makes me sick. I can understand people stealing food and essentials if they are desperate, but appliances? Come on, you don't even have electricity right now!

I can see it now:
Officer: Scumbag, drop the flatscreen TV NOW!!
Looter: But officer, I need this to feed my family!
Officer: What you gonna do, put ketchup on it?
Looter: Naw man, my family gonna use it as a table.

No, I am not in that situation but taking anything and everything you can get your hands on just because you can is wrong. I don't care if you are in "survival mode" or not. The iPod isn't going to help save you and the energy you are using to run ramshod pillaging could be put to much better use in helping your neighbors.

My solution: Leave the folks alone that are at the A&P but shoot those coming out of the jewelry and appliance stores. I would have no problem with that.

I seriously hope that the news media turn over their tapes in a few months and that when things are calmed down the police can arrest some of those who are looting.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 04:38 AM
link   
I would hope the policeman(men) would, once the lady was under control, listen to here story and go with her to her children. Then, if she was telling the truth, assist her in evacuating to a safe location, or at least let her go, with her booty. I can't imagine anyone would haul her off to jail under the circumstances--police are human too. Besides, I've heard the jails were mostly under water.

[edit on 1-9-2005 by Astronomer68]

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 04:47 AM
link   
I agree with gardiner, Shoot the ones that are looting the appliance and jewellry places, and let anyone take the food and necessities. Half of the food they are taking will go bad before anyone can drain the place out, so taking it for consumption is obvious since the food will not be able to be sold when they reopen the stores anyways, so its lost stock. Also, if you shoot em now, you wont have thousands more convicts sat on top of tables in a drowning prison block
Lets call the people who are stealing for survival, survivalists, and the people stealing for a new PSP, looters. Those looters, are the kind of people that get in line 4 times in a Red Cross food handout. I saw it in New York during the blackout of '03, a group of people went through the Red Cross sandwich handout line 4 times, to get more food, and they sat and ate it all a few yards away while others went hungry. I donated 40$ to The Red Cross for more sandwiches and they were the nicest people you could ever meet, I was so dehydrated and they gave me the most basic of things, water, but it made more of a thankful difference than a handfull of jewels.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 05:26 AM
link   
What trouble do looters of shops cause?

* The stock is insured, or should be, it would be water damaged anyway.
* If its foodstuff it would be thrown away,
* The insurance companies will pay to replace it, and
* the looters should be praised for removing the water damaged, or crap stock.

In the beginning I thought it was bad, but as long as its not personal homes and personal treasures, and only shops, then so what?

Civilization is only veneer thin....

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Netchicken
What trouble do looters of shops cause?

* The stock is insured, or should be, it would be water damaged anyway.
* If its foodstuff it would be thrown away,
* The insurance companies will pay to replace it, and
* the looters should be praised for removing the water damaged, or crap stock.

In the beginning I thought it was bad, but as long as its not personal homes and personal treasures, and only shops, then so what?

Civilization is only veneer thin....

my TV reports that the looters have joined into loose knit groups or bands
and are now invading homes in the higher, dryer areas of N.O.
it seems the low level, flooded areas trinkets & ill gotten bounties are
no longer as bright & shiney & desirable to be coveted as they once were.

perhaps, emboldened by their successful adventures and raiding parties
(which, until now, did not visit upon them any negative consequences)
the lawless ones' are now armed and somewhat organized...
and are siphoning off the manpower which one-time was focused on
rescue missions of the many victims in the city.

i know you've heard the adage "Give 'em an Inch, They'll Take a Mile"
which is a reminder that 'Civilization is only veneer thin'

new topics
top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join