It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Crippled Nation

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I’m interested in your thoughts on how the recent turn of events may increase our vulnerability and chances for another terrorist attack.

With a devastated disaster area in the Southern states, the ripple-effects that our entire economy and culture will begin to feel, and troops spread out far thinner now, to name but a few, how susceptible have we become?

Or are you of the opinion that regardless of what state we are in, we are always at the same level of risk?

I’m of the opinion that terrorists have been holding back for that perfect moment, and over the coming weeks and months, I don’t think they’ll find a better time to strike, and strike hard…

If the worse were to happen, the resulting blow to morale and feelings of safety in this country could be shattering…

[edit on 8/30/2005 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 03:21 AM
link   
Ah, but what if the 'terrorists' don't take advantage of the Hurricane? Are we then led to believe that they have a conscience and compassion? or maybe that they never existed in the first place?

It's been well established in the intelligence community that within 90 days of July 7th, the USA should be have a major event on it's hands. That timeframe takes us to early October.

It's also been well established that Tokyo, Sydney and/or Singapore should expect an attack at their finacial centres soon also.

Taking those warnings into account and the fact they were given before the Hurricane occured, 'Terrrorists' could have established plans in place which a hurricane has no affect on.

Does it mean they are even worse to go ahead with those plans just because of the Hurricane? No, it means they are keeping to schedule.

I think the hurricane was just one of those events which was bound to happen sooner or later and most likely there will be a lot more natural disasters which do worse damage around the world. I don't think we should be led to believe that a Terrorists plans can change quickly on the spur of the moment if they are expected to be responsable for major planning events like a 9/11.

I'm glad to see that the Islamic community hasn't come out and said those southerners deserved it and it was Gods will as some Evengelicals said about the Islamic indonesian areas which were wiped out from the Tsunami.

Lets hope the people affected can understand the pain involved in loosing everything, having no food, clean water, electricity etc and appreciate how other nations must feel right now.

Everyone can be in the same boat at any time regardless of faith, location or race, events like this prove it. It's a test of compassion.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 03:44 AM
link   
I dont see how this hurricane makes it a crippled nation.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 04:09 AM
link   
HAve you not watched the news cargo?

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 04:55 AM
link   
So because a small part of the country is having a major disaster, we're a crippled nation?
Have the planes and trains stopped running? Has all trade and infrastructure fallen apart?

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 05:32 AM
link   
A crippled nation is correct... to a point; but do not count us down for the count. If anything, we as Americans know how to get in there and get our hands dirty if need be. I cannot count the many drives that are going on here and around the state for the victims. And as for other nations offering to help us get through this, I have not seen or heard any offers from them so far and given our history maybe those in the U.K. might help. Could this be an open door for those of who want to carry out a terroist attack on us? Yes. Mother Nature just did what the terrorists have been trying to do all along since 9/11 which is to cause as much harm and hardship to our country as they can.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 05:36 AM
link   
I know that Putin offered Russian aid if we want it. I think he offered money to rebuild and desiel fuel for generators. And Iran of all countries offered their prayers and best wishes. Just shows that not all you hear about them is true.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Countries wont really offer the US any assistance unless the authorities ask for it. And since the US is a superpower it cant really ask for assistance without looking weak, so no requests will go out.

Having said that Russian and Venezuela have offered aid.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 06:16 AM
link   
The horror of the events in the 'States' is undeniably a crippling blow to America. The effects of it are going to be painfully felt for months and even years to come.
Images of the suffering will never leave this poster, nor will the efforts of the rescuers fade over time. What we are witness to, is an event of such proportions that it will become a milestone in the history of America.

In regard to the efforts of terrorists, they must surely be in awe of the power of nature, doing what they, in their wildest dreams, could never duplicate. If anything, the ability of the terrorist to act is now hampered by the heightened state of official America. There will be no laxness by authorities doing their job.

America has been dealt a hard blow and it is my experience that such a thing drives a people together. I believe, in the coming days, a new mentality will spread throughout the great nation south of Canada's borders. It will find its purpose, losing the blinkers of divisiveness which has beleagered it for so long.

Tell me now...what does it matter whether you are from a blue state or red? Where does political sniping stand in the face of such a disaster? All I can see is a unified effort to, first of all, get people out of danger and secondly, rebuild what has been devastated.

The terrorist will find America awake, alert and quick to act at this time.

I also think they will, in the coming weeks, find a changed America, changed from the top to the bottom.

But, that's just my opinion...that disasters have the ability to bring people together.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rikimaru
HAve you not watched the news cargo?

Yes.

Hurricane looting, flooding

Posted 12:51 p.m. ET
CNN's John Zarrella on St. Louis Street, New Orleans, Louisiana

We're outside of a Winn-Dixie grocery store on St. Louis Street here, and they're literally walking out with the store. Shopping carts filled to overflowing, they even have some of their kids going in with them to get stuff out of the store, just one after the other, there must be 40 or 50 people inside, coming out of the Winn-Dixie parking lot here right now.

www.cnn.com...

Looting had become a problem. Police in the Orlando area said 10 thieves used a stolen car to smash into a store and steal about $US10,000 ($A14,400) worth of clothing, and two men were arrested as they tried to steal an ATM machine with a chain saw. At least 10 other people were arrested for looting in Indian River County, Palm Beach County and Brevard County

www.theage.com.au... m=storylhs

You are probably right. These people are crippling the spirit of honest and decent folk.

And what the hell is this all about??

Aug. 30 - Inmates at a prison in hurricane-ravaged New Orleans have rioted, attempted to escape and are now holding hostages, a prison commissioner told ABC News affiliate WBRZ in Baton Rouge, La.

Orleans Parish Prison Commissioner Oliver Thomas reported the incident to WBRZ.

A deputy at Orleans Parish Prison, his wife and their four children have been taken hostage by rioting prisoners after riding out Hurricane Katrina inside the jail building, according to WBRZ.

Officials are expected to hold a press conference regarding the riots at 9 p.m. ET.

A woman interviewed by WBRZ said her son, a deputy at the prison whose family is among the hostages, told her that many of the prisoners have fashioned homemade weapons. Her son had brought his family there hoping they would be safe during the storm.

Official: Prisoners Riot, Take Hostages In New Orleans

[edit on 31-8-2005 by cargo]

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Many are already speculating that we are entering a new phase of war by way of the weather. Although personally, I didn't see anything that was highly unusual with Katrina and I have been studying meteorology for over 20 years. People seek to blame someone in this day and age, and I tend to grab the mirror.

The Tsunami that was Katrina
August 30, 2005
Ivan and Katrina

These are both very Russian sounding names. It has been established that the former Soviet Union (fSU) developed and boasted of weather modification technology during the 1960's and 70's with deployment against the United States coming in 1976 with the audible arrival of the woodpecker grid. These weather operations continue to this day.....

more here:
www.weatherwars.info...

[edit on 31-8-2005 by Regenmacher]

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by cargo
I dont see how this hurricane makes it a crippled nation.

Agreed Cargo.

This nation has experienced great catastrophes and was not "crippled", nor seen or viewed as such.
Way too much attitudes of defeatism on and within this board.

As for this mention by TheShroudOfMemphis:

It's been well established in the intelligence community that within 90 days of July 7th, the USA should be have a major event on it's hands. That timeframe takes us to early October.

Can you link the sources for this "well-established" intelligence information so as others, such as myself, can determine the validity and merit of that which you assert, please.
Thank you.

And this by masque:

...a crippling blow to America.

Really?
How about be so kind as to look thru some historical archives and enlighten us to US historical events that have been classified, labeled, or historically determined to be a "crippling blow to America", and illustrate for us how this tragic event translates into a "crippling" blow, k? Would seem only fair to do such, would it not? I mean geez, in your eyes and interpretations, as with some others here, it would be safe to say that the tragic events of 9/11, Hurricane Andrew, the Northridge earthquake, or the 1886 "Indianola" hurricane, etc. would be categorized as a "crippling blow to America"?

seekerof

[edit on 31-8-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
US historical events that have been classified, labeled, or historically determined to be a "crippling blow to America", and illustrate for us how this tragic event translates into a "crippling" blow, k?

When the final costs of Katrina are tallied in human lives, loss of property,
impact through the rising cost of living through gasoline shortages (etc), I believe you will find it compares to the attack on Pearl Harbour or even the dust bowl of the 30's. Those events were crippling blows to the people of America (IMO) and so is this, the loss of a great city.

New Orleans, to me, represents the 'free spirit' of America...the one place where the music was for everyone, not just those who could afford a pricey ticket for a concert.

I fear that city is now gone...at least for the months to come. How does New Orleans get rebuilt? Surely it will not be rebuilt to, someday, suffer the threat of aother Katrina? No way...

The New Orleans we all know is gone forever...what will be rebuilt, at the cost of billions, will be a city safe from the ravages of floods, above sea level, and before the hat is passed again in smokey bars in the old French Quarter, months will pass, perhaps even years.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I don’t see how it’s a “crippling blow” to the US as whole, to the region yes but not to the US. This isn’t the first time this has happened and we haven’t collapse before and we wont now, just shut up and clean up the mess instead of whining about this and that.

[edit on 31-8-2005 by WestPoint23]

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Clearly there is a good deal of division among opinions, which is what I expected to get from pushing my thoughts out there...

Maybe "crippled" is too strong a word for some...maybe it's too weak a word for others...However, one cannot argue that the effects of this storm will be felt within the entire United States for years to come...

This is not an acute problem - The effects are chronic....

Nobody is "whining" WestPoint23.....We're merely exploring the possibilities of what may be the end result of this devastation - Simply because people on the perimeters of this scene are making remarks and commenting does not mean that they do not intend to do all in their power to "clean up the mess"

There are many things that must be done now, and equally important are the things that must be done in the months and years to come, and that's precisely the point of this conversation....

Preparation and prevention - Turning a blind eye to events that may unfold as a result - This ripple effect (which has been in motion faaar before Katrina) is a real concern....

Blaming people for thinking outside the box or suggesting situations to prepare for that may crop up in the not-too-distant horizon is backtracking...

A balance must be struck here between people who see things differently – Not more opposition…

There are forward-thinkers and there are here-and-now thinkers, and both are needed to prevent any further damage…

[edit on 8/31/2005 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by FLYIN HIGH
A crippled nation is correct... to a point;

We are not a crippled nation. New Orleans is a crippled city - still functioning.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 11:35 AM
link   
The US is not the only nation that will be affected.

Much of, if not all of the nations grain that is sold to other nations will be held up if the Mississippi is silted up as some fear.

New Orleans is the most important port in the country.

The city and outlying areas will be rebuilt, but parts of it will take many years.
I look for the oil and port infrastructure including housing for the necessary employee's to be completed first.

If the Netherlands - a low lying country as you know - can do it, so can we.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by vincere7

Originally posted by FLYIN HIGH
A crippled nation is correct... to a point;

We are not a crippled nation. New Orleans is a crippled city - still functioning.

Actually all state gov't officials have been evacuated from New Orleans, so I'm not sure what you mean by "functioning". This city is gone, they may put a monument up or something but it is GONE. This could have been prevented with the levees being improved, but you know we have Iraqis to take care of.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Actually all state gov't officials have been evacuated from New Orleans, so I'm not sure what you mean by "functioning". This city is gone, they may put a monument up or something but it is GONE. This could have been prevented with the levees being improved, but you know we have Iraqis to take care of.

Well Said! I couldnt have said it better myself. Less helping others who dont appreciate our help and more helping ourselves.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 04:03 AM
link   
I don't know if I would exactly call us "crippled", but many of us are already feeling effects of this and will for some time. As of 2 days ago, my state was on fuel allocation, meaning that if you are not an emergency vehicle or school bus, you can get fuel if there is any left over. Right now we have several gas stations who have run out of gas and will not be getting more in the forseeable future. Those who do still have gas are charging over $4 a gallon for it.

No, I am not whining, but I am seriously wondering how I am going to get to work after the gas is gone. My mother lives near Jackson, and says that up there the gas is gone. She has a generator, but when the gas runs out there is no more to be had at any price. Most people from MS fled to Memphis, and most of that place lost power and it might be 3 weeks before it is restored, and that is not a place I would have thought would have been affected by a hurricane of all things.

We have lost major ports and there were several shipments of food that will never make it to the stores, so you can bet the prices of food will go way up, too. To those who are on small fixed incomes, this is a Very Bad Thing (R) and will hit them especially hard. Add to that the costs of public transportation having to go up and service schedules being cut, and I would say that qualifies us for using walkers. We may not be "crippled", but I am sure a lot of us will be limping.

This certainly isn't an isolated event that only affected the Gulf Coast area. We are all going to be reeling from the after effects for awhile.

Now I just sit back with the popcorn and wait for someone to drag Haliburton into this if it hasn't already been done. Everyone knows that a good conspiracy needs to include Haliburton, the CFR, the Tri-lateral Commission, and The Illuminati
Now,I have seen where RFK, Jr. has blamed Bush for this, but he forgot to mention Haliburton, durn it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join