It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brace for more Katrinas, say experts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Just sharing a news item here, one I am hoping is dead wrong. It seems many experts in the field of global warming and climate change agree Katrina could be only one of many extreme weather events yet to come in the future...

Full Article Link

PARIS (AFP) - For all its numbing ferocity, Hurricane Katrina will not be a unique event, say scientists, who say that global warming appears to be pumping up the power of big Atlantic storms.

2005 is on track to be the worst-ever year for hurricanes, according to experts measuring ocean temperatures and trade winds -- the two big factors that breed these storms in the Caribbean and tropical North Atlantic.

Earlier this month, Tropical Storm Risk, a London-based consortium of experts, predicted that the region would see 22 tropical storms during the six-month June-November season, the most ever recorded and more than twice the average annual tally since records began in 1851.

Seven of these storms would strike the United States, of which three would be hurricanes, it said.

Already, 2004 and 2003 were exceptional years: they marked the highest two-year totals ever recorded for overall hurricane activity in the North Atlantic.

This increase has also coincided with a big rise in Earth's surface temperature in recent years, driven by greenhouse gases that cause the Sun's heat to be stored in the sea, land and air rather than radiate back out to space.

But experts are cautious, also noting that hurricane numbers seem to undergo swings, over decades.

About 90 tropical storms -- a term that includes hurricanes and their Asian counterparts, typhoons -- occur each year.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

To me it seems there is far more that we do not know, I'm not sure if this is more speculation than science, however if these "experts" are right.. the future could bring even more dramatic extreme weather events all over the globe.

I hope they are wrong.

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 10:09 PM
link   
If you want to know for sure just keep an eye on the water temperatures. We are coming up on September 1 and the Cape Verde season has been non existant. Water temperatures east of 45W are too cool to support tropical development. I think we have seen this in two failed tropical depressions already. You can also see what Katrina has done to Gulf temperatures. If our temperatures are really going to warm like has been stated to us by alarmists then the Gulf will warm a few more degrees. This will extend at least the Gulf hurricane season and will certainly make for stronger storms. That said there is nothing special about the current tropical water temperatures. They are within normal limits. Upper atmospheric conditions are responsible for what we see today. Less shear means more tropical systems.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 04:31 PM
link   
"First hour guest, meteorologist Scott Stevens offered analysis of Hurricane Katrina. He believes there is evidence that suggests weather manipulation technology has been used. Richard C. Hoagland also offered hurricane commentary during the show...cont. "

quoted from coasttocoastam.com

Anyone heard about this Ivan/Katrina Russian link.
These individuals suggest that the collapse of the old soviet union was meaningless, and that what is left, has harnessed weather control technology against us.

There’s something interesting about hurricane Ivan and it’s hexagonal geometry that needs some looking into ladies and gentlemen, and I even heard a major media outlet make some reference of sorts to it.

There is perhaps more than meets the eye going on here.

Any thoughts?

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 08:43 PM
link   
This is the 3rd straight year with a category 5. None have made landfall yet. Cat 5s are supposed to be once a decade type of storms, landfall for fish. It sure seems like the Hurricane Gods are angry and the statistical peak of hurricane season isnt even here yet.

new topics

top topics

join