It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Mysterious Moth Swarm In South Australia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 09:49 PM
link   
A mysterious breed of moth swarming in South Australia in massive numbers is being examinded by scientists who have recorded the moth in all different areas of the state. The moths have distinctive markings of a reddish brown wing patterns and forewing markings with a wing span of up to 4cm. It is a rare event to see such large numbers of moths and the species has not been recorded as major economic pests for farmers.

www.heraldsun.news.com.au
SCIENTISTS are examining a mystery breed of moth converging on South Australia in huge numbers.

Entomologists say the moths have distinctive marks distinguishing them from known pest species.

Dennis Hopkins, an entomologist with the SA Research and Development Institute, said the moths were believed to be a species known as lesser budworm

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is a strange event from mother nature. The moths haven't been seen in the state before and scientists are still not sure whether the moth is in fact a desert budworm. If it is the budworm why has it converged on south australia and what other species in nature is displaying any odd behaviour in the area. Why have these Moths gone travelling and what are they exactly?

[edit on 30-8-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Maybe they are migrating to cooler or wetter climate do to climate change. That's my guess anyway. Don't know enough about said creature to really tell ya.

[edit on 31-8-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Perhaps it's an unconventional weapon? A vector for a virus or bacteria, or even a chemical agent in the wing dust? That's the first thing I thought of, which is odd, I admit.

Probably just climate change opening up new territory, or competition, or overpopulation leading to migration and eventually speciation.

I'm almost certain the latter explanations are far more probable than the former, but that's not to say the former isn't possible, because, indeed, what isn't?

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 09:56 PM
link   
I live in Adelaide, the capital of South Australia. Why's this thread on ATS? We have many moths here, which haven't yet eaten anyone's head off. They're probably just normal moths!! We also have locust plagues in the country areas sometimes.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Sugeshotcha, the moths are not a standard species found in South Australia. It is mysterious behaviour by the moths and their origin is also mysterious. The article is on ATSNN because it made all the main news feeds in Australia and it was strange enough to warrant posting here.

new topics

top topics

join