It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious Hot Spot Found On Saturn´s Moon Enceladus

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 09:32 PM
link   
A hot spot has been found at the south pole of Saturn´s moon Enceladus. Scientists are puzzled by this and can´t explain it. The hot spot should not be there.

The icy moon Enceladus is faintly visible below the South Pole. (NASA/JPL/Space Science Institute )

ABC News: 'Hot spot' found Saturn moon

August 31, 2005

There is a hot spot on one of Saturn's moons which should not be there and has yet to be explained, scientists say. It is located at the south pole of Enceladus, a moon with a diameter of just 500km which orbits Saturn at a distance of about 238,000km.

The hot spot is unusual because it occurs at the pole, scientists say. Usually, the hottest part of any planet or moon is around the equator, as is the case with the earth. This suggests that the heat at Enceladus' southern pole is generated from within, scientists from the Cassini-Huygens mission to Saturn and its moons said.

They acknowledged they had no idea how. "It shouldn't be that warm," John Spencer, one of the scientists working on the project, said. "It's like flying past Antarctica and finding that it's warmer than the earth's equatorial regions. It's that strange."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

What on Earth is that hot spot? Oh yeah that´s right, it´s not on the Earth. But it is very strange... What could it be?

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I'm fascinated by this moon..glad you brought it up again.

We were taking some guesses, at what caused the temperature differences over in this thread, last month
www.abovetopsecret.com...

There is a lot more to be discovered..Just on that little icy ball..
Maybe after a couple of more passes, we'll have more data to work with..

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Again with this topic.

My theory is that Enceladus is heated internaly with internal friction. Cracks at the south pole are deep enough for heated gases to escape. I go into details in these threads, but people stop replying them.

Hellmutt, you have to give us your opinion too. Don't just throw us a article, and ask what we think of it. What do you think is causing the hot-spot?

[edit on 8/30/2005 by GoldEagle]

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by GoldEagle

Hellmutt, you have to give us your opinion too. Don't just throw us a article, and ask what we think of it. What do you think is causing the hot-spot?

Well, I guess some kind of volcanic activity is causing this hot spot. I´m no expert so I can only guess. But to me it seems like the most likely explaination.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 06:01 AM
link   
its obviously the exhaust ports for a huge alien battle platform!
Though that could be Midas...

Its probably occuring idue to the same forces that give Europa an ocean and make Io hell.

top topics

join