It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. to Add 5,000 Armed Air Marshals

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2003 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Associated Press

The Bush administration is shuffling its homeland security operation to add 5,000 more armed agents for commercial flights.

Earlier this year, the administration came under criticism from lawmakers when it was learned the Transportation Security Administration wanted to cut 20 percent of its funding for the air marshal's program to plug other budget holes.

The air marshal program was nearly nonexistent at the time of the Sept. 11 attacks. Only 32 agents were employed then, but the number was dramatically increased afterward. The exact number is classified.

abcnews.go.com...

I think this is a good idea, the more the better. I cant believe there were only 32 agents as of 9/11, how did they pick and choose what flights they were on with that small of an agency. I'm sure alot of you will say it doesnt matter because the gov't was responsible for 9/11 anyway but I think it's a positive thing.

posted on Sep, 2 2003 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Immediately after 911, there was a proposal put on the table that would have allowed any accredited, sworn law officer from any local, state, or federal law enforcement agency to carry a concealed weapon aboard an commercial flight. Considering the number of officers who fly on a daily basis for business, this would have likely put double this number in the air far quicker than the air marshall program (at HOW MUCH $$$$$$ over the past 2 years???)

Strange that this proposal was taken off the table... but then, it made sense...

join