It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flood Wisdom (for Americans): Do Not Buy a Used Car from Anyone for the Next Year

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 03:31 PM
link   
The title is really all I wanted to say. But it had to be said.

There are whole industries that profit off this human misery by spreading it around. They buy up "totals" for pennies on the pound, recondition, and send them all over the country having "locals" advertise and pose as the car owner (that are more than happy to come to you or meet you in a bank parking lot for the deal that's too good to be true).

A flooded car is junk. Paint, new interior, doesn't matter. It's junk. Don't buy any used car from a person, a lot, anywhere (especially in the southern US) for at least a year.

That's my advice, and I'm sticking to it.

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 03:43 PM
link   
You know why this is great advice? Because people wouldnt think of this kind of thing on their own, AND we like to trust people not to screw us this way.

Good advice.

[edit on 30-8-2005 by skippytjc]

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 04:30 PM
link   
It's really good advice.
My wife just asked that very question, last night,
as we were watching the coverage.

"what happens to the soggy cars, that otherwise look normal?"

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 05:43 PM
link   
absolutely true and great advice Rant

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 06:02 AM
link   
CNN just covered this basically saying the same thing.

Refurbished flooded cars are now arriving all over: PA, NY, CA, etc.

Great DEAL! Must sell! Only used to drive to church on Sunday by a little old lady.

They look great now and that's the problem.

There's tips on how to spot one (condensation marks in overhead light, rust under dash or other strange places, untimely new upholstery or air given relative age of the car), but the best thing to do is STAY AWAY from used cars from anyone you don't know for a good year.

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 06:51 AM
link   
I wonder if there are worthwhile parts on the car besides the obvious things damanged by water (ie interior, electronics, body rust, etc) such as the engine and similar parts that can't exactly rust through in two weeks time. I say this because I wonder if its possible to take advantage of one of these too-good-to-be-true deals and actually make use of parts off the car that werent damanged too badly by flood waters?

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Great advice, RANT. Something most people wouldn't even consider. I know I hadn't.

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Because this directly effects me. Here are some tips if you must buy used.

1. Only buy a vehicle from a dealer that has a service department.

There are so many "side of the road" lots and "buy here pay here" lots popping up. Most of their cars are just thrown on the lot and not checked out at all. If you have a problem you are out of luck.

But the larger dealerships have a reputation to uphold and will assist you with obvious problems.

2. Ask for a CARFAX. I hate this, but will provide one if pressed.

3. Take the vehicle to your own mechanic. I also hate this, but if you insist...

4. Stay away from reconstructed cars. No matter what kind of great deal you get. These cars are worthless. You will not find them on major dealers lots, as the liability is too great. These cars usually end up on "side of the road" lots. Which is another reason to stay away from them.

Remember "No service department, No sale"

Shopping at a major dealer reduces your risk tremendously. Dealerships have professional buyers. If they buy "junk" or problem cars, they could risk losing their jobs.

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Good advice Carseller4. Yeah, there's no reason honest people should be punished for the actions of dishonest ones. There's way to be safe.

top topics

join