It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

svchost.exe....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2003 @ 07:14 AM
link   
To all comp experts out there: in the last few hours a message saying that there is an error in svchost.exe file, will be shut down blah blah, keeps popping up on my comp.
Now, I have absolutely no idea what that is. I am totaly comp iliterate. Can somebody enlighten me? Is my comp about to die??
Whats going on? How can I fix this?

Somebody help.....

posted on Sep, 2 2003 @ 07:24 AM
link   
hmm...from what i could find, it might have something to do with the blaster worm.
You might want to download the patch for that virus...

posted on Sep, 2 2003 @ 07:26 AM
link   
sounds like a virii my friend. Try and find a patch for it coz it might be something to do with SoBig or blaster

posted on Sep, 2 2003 @ 07:42 AM
link   
shyte.... thanks guys, will look into it. as far as I know my brother installed all those patches... damn, hes not in town now... damn stupid technology! i hate computers! grrrrrrr

posted on Sep, 2 2003 @ 08:12 AM
link   
This is the Blaster virus, I would also run AdAware and Spybot cleaners.

posted on Sep, 2 2003 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by paperclip
To all comp experts out there: in the last few hours a message saying that there is an error in svchost.exe file, will be shut down blah blah, keeps popping up on my comp.
Now, I have absolutely no idea what that is. I am totaly comp iliterate. Can somebody enlighten me? Is my comp about to die??
Whats going on? How can I fix this?

Somebody help.....

I'm guessing that you are using XP or 2000, right?

svchost.exe itself is a normal process and is associated with the different services your machine is running. Hence "svchost = service host". Your machine will be set to host an array of different services either for itself or for the user or a network.

If you do a scan and come up virus free and spyware free, etc....Then it is probably just some some software running in the background or the Operating System itself which is having trouble starting or accessing some service.

posted on Sep, 2 2003 @ 08:19 AM
link   
yep..thats one of the characteristics of the blaster...pain in the butt...you need to set your RPC services to 60 minutes, then you'll have a full hour before it tries to shut your machine off
click start, then run, type in services.msc hit enter

a box will pop up with all services ..locate the RPC locator service, right click, choose properties...Id ont have an English XP and dont know the name of the tab but in one of the tabs is an option to set the restart time, or something similar to that to 60. then you need to download the update from MS

www.microsoft.com...

then run Nortons removal tool

securityresponse.symantec.com...

when you're running the patches, if possible, dont be connected to the net. also, get a firewall and anti virus software if you havnt already got them

good luck!

posted on Sep, 2 2003 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Thanks to all of you for your replies.
I managed to contact the admin of our campus network, he fixed it. He said it was a problem with AIM.... f*cking AOL spyware
.... I removed it completely from my comp and I do not intend to install it again...

posted on Sep, 2 2003 @ 03:25 PM
link   
AOL is evil. Always keep that in mind.

posted on Sep, 2 2003 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grommer
yep..thats one of the characteristics of the blaster...pain in the butt...you need to set your RPC services to 60 minutes, then you'll have a full hour before it tries to shut your machine off
click start, then run, type in services.msc hit enter

a box will pop up with all services ..locate the RPC locator service, right click, choose properties...Id ont have an English XP and dont know the name of the tab but in one of the tabs is an option to set the restart time, or something similar to that to 60. then you need to download the update from MS

Or an alternative would be goto you DOS prompt and type in shutdown /a

posted on Sep, 2 2003 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Download the blaster fix from norton, and end task your svchost.exe in the taskmanager.
windows will bring another up.

top topics

join