It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where Is The Love ... It's Time To Step Up World.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Okay, so we ( the U.S. ) is preparring to recover from a natural disaster.

Red Cross, FEMA and other agencies are on the go, the President has promised "relief" in a timely manner....

I'm sure there are "volunteers" gearing up for action across the nation,

Where's the Love ?? Where are the other countries offers of "relief", assistance, financial aid, etc. Where is it ?

I don't care if the U.S. is a self sustained nation, we could use and should accept "relief".

Not only from other countries... lets see "our" superstars, actors, recording artists, etc... it's time to step up and get your check book out.

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 11:01 AM
link   
We are the big bad United States to them. Even though everyone comes begging when bad stuff happens to them. I say we take back our Tsunami relief money and get stuffed straightened out here first.

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 11:04 AM
link   

You have voted elevatedone for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have used all of your votes for this month.

you will not see it offered. more than likely you will see things like the us deserved it, et. al.

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I agree, when something bad happens to the US the global community seems to care less.

The same thing happened last year when we had three massive hurricanes in a row. What nations gave us a lot of support? None! We're the world's enemy until something terrible happens, such as the tsunami of December past, then everyone needs our help.

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
Okay, so we ( the U.S. ) is preparring to recover from a natural disaster.
Not only from other countries... lets see "our" superstars, actors, recording artists, etc... it's time to step up and get your check book out.

and yes.... if I had the "money" I would send help to the storm survivors...
If I could be away from my job, I would go help in the relief effort.

Right now I can only offer my thoughts and prayers... when I get home tonight, I'm going to see what I can "part with" and send down for the relief effort. Clothes, blankets, etc.....

I urge everyone else to do the same..

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 11:11 AM
link   
You've got to be kidding me, right?

Take back the tsunami relief? Right, right. Because it's their fault. Because they obviously have resources at hand to dish out when it's needed.

D'ya not see the point here? The US - and other nations - help out primarily when others are not able to help themselves. Or are we expecting the rest of the world to throw us aid simply because we gave it earlier? This country is considerably more able to fix itself than the nations devastated by that tsunami.

Whilst any loss of life is tragic, it's a little unfair to compare Katrina to the tsunami, in terms of loss of life OR socioeconomic/physical devastation.

Keep it in perspective, huh?

[edit on 30-8-2005 by Tinkleflower]

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tinkleflower
Whilst any loss of life is tragic, it's a little unfair to compare Katrina to the tsunami, in terms of loss of life OR socioeconomic/physical devastation.
Keep it perspective, huh?

I do agree with that.... comparing this to the Tsunami is just nuts...

However, I know that the US can "help itself", thats not the point, the point is, where are the "offers", if not money, why not volunteers?

Where's France? They still owe us big time

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I agree, the hurricane is nothing compared to the tsunami. I just used the tsunami as an example because it was the most recent example of the US giving tons of aid, be it in the form of money or food.

The US is able to help itself, but only by squeezing herself dry. Any help that would be offered would be graciously taken, because this is still a major disaster.

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 11:18 AM
link   
But the US is the worlds largest and richest superpower, c'mon you don't need any help, do you?
I agree that you should pull the tsunami relief and straighten your own *mod edit of profanity* out, ya dig?

"The budget should be balanced, the treasury refilled, public debt reduced, the arrogance of officialdom tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands curtailed, lest Rome become bankrupt."
-- Quintus Tullius Cicero

[edit on 30/8/2005 by SwearBear]

*do not attempt to bypass the censors*

[edit on 30-8-2005 by Amuk]

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
However, I know that the US can "help itself", thats not the point, the point is, where are the "offers", if not money, why not volunteers?

That's perhaps the point - if the US is able to help herself (and to be fair, that's the claim often touted by the US to everyone else around the world), it's perhaps easy to see why other nations would perceive this situation as being another one the US can take care of perfectly well. There have been worse hurricanes.

Besides which - it's still very early. I'd guess many are waiting to see the damage reports, and perhaps waiting to see if it's even viable to offer help at this point.

ALL help would of course be received gratefully....I suppose I was just cringing at the implication that everyone else should automatically offer aid, simply because the US has aided others in the past.

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 11:22 AM
link   

But the US is the worlds largest and richest superpower, c'mon you don't need any help, do you?

That not the point, the point is the offers, it would be a show of help from the world if they offered help. Whether we take it or not is up to us, but they should at least offer help.

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 11:27 AM
link   
LOL! I have friends down there in Biloxi and Mobile. I assure you, if a French carrier pulled up to help, they'd try their best to run it off with deer rifles.
A self-sufficient and independent lot, they are. Even if the phone lines were up, I wouldn't call them for fear of offending them! They'd think that I thought they couldn't run their own show without my checking up on them!!

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tinkleflower
Besides which - it's still very early. I'd guess many are waiting to see the damage reports, and perhaps waiting to see if it's even viable to offer help at this point.

You're absolutely right... way too early to know what help is needed,

I just know that If I was the leader of a country, I would have at least gone public by now saying " hey USA, I got your back, just let me know what I can do to help".

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 11:30 AM
link   
The Katrina relief concert is already in the planning stages; With all those rich, hippy, left-wing, commie, America hating rock stars. As in the past when money needs to be raised for relief effort; the enertainment industry does its part. Remember "Live aid", "Farm Aid" etc.

Personally, I have already filled up my pickup twice with donations from my neighbors destined for the weather ravaged south. And this is just a small bit of the donations of durable goods already collected in my immediate area.

The American citizens and even the illegal aliens here in the southwest are some of the most careing and generous people on the planet.

What I find astonishing is how some on this forum will use any excuse; even an American disaster to trash other countries. "Let he without sin, cast the first stone"

[edit on 30-8-2005 by whaaa]

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 11:46 AM
link   
IN other Countries defense after 9/11 there were a lot of prayer ceremonies and a great deal of world support. But then how many people did you see lining the streets and prying after Madrid here in the U.S. or after 7/7. I saw 0…

These are two entirely different scenarios but it would be nice to here another country just ask if we need help with this one. In reality not only is this catastrophic to the Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama but it could have a lasting terrible effect on our economy with the stupid oil. So which country is willing to donate some Oil…We would be more than happy to accept.

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Reading through this thread, I can't help but wonder two things:

1. Is the newfound reality of our "actual" world standing, a forehead jarring wakeup call to some people? Are you really that surprised that no one offers help? Now ask yourself, "Why is that. .......really?"
(note: I am not Anti-America, I'm anti poorly thought-out decisions by goverment leaders.)

2. Since we are on the question of harsh truths, do some of you "need" some kind of justification/gratification of other countries offering us help? Maybe their lack of aid, corrolates with their lack of respect for the unrespectful.

Just my .02, from a human just like you.

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I just expect that since when disasters occur to other countries the US is always giving aid whether it be money or recourses. I expect we should get the same in return.

[edit on 30-8-2005 by WestPoint23]

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 01:23 PM
link   
"I expect we should get the same in return. "

That statement is a double-edged sword. As nice as it would be, the world is not, never has been, and never will be on equal playing rules, on the country level (or many other levels). Should countries also invade us and give us a "regime change" , should other countries have the same amount of nuclear arms (no-one here seems to think so), should other countries have the same amount of say in the world? (I think to an extent we over flex our muscles more often than not, whether it be the military muscle, or the economic one.) This double standard of the United States having it their own way, and everyone else having it the U.S.'s way, is why no-one extends an open hand to the bully of the world, when mother nature trips him temporarily to the ground.

Also, it's not like we don't have the resources to help, and it's not like if we didn't, that we would sincerely ask nicely.

I'm willing to bet that some people believe that if you cause problems in the world long enough, no-one is going to care when you have problems.

Boy oh boy, reality sucks sometimes.

What I would give to walk into another country again, hold my head high, and say, "Hello, nice to meet you. I'm from America", without fearing reprocussion in some form, whether it be violence, distrust, or a general hatred towards me from the locals.

Maybe we will all grow up one day, quit trying to see who's dad can beat up who's dad, who's got more money, who's got more bomb's, and "who's boss."
Then again, I doubt it, unfortunately.

again, just my opinion. I don't claim to be right, cause I can't prove it.

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Amen siFtInG, good post and so true, in my opinion anyway.

"You have voted siFtInG for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have one more vote left for this month."

[edit on 30/8/2005 by SwearBear]

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 02:13 PM
link   
The United States is bigger than most of the countries we offer help to. We just need to know what is needed and gather the necessary forces and supplies from around the continental USA and send it to the Gulf Coast asap. South Florida who has just had it's own encounter with Katrina is sending help and supplies to New Orleans and gulf.

I don't think now is the time for world politics in this situation, who really gives a rat ass if some country offers aid, We Americans should be helping our fellows Americans, screw the rest of the world, we really don't need their aid right now. This country and all its states should be the first ones responding to the calls for aid and help, not Mexico, Canada or some third world country that benefited from tsunami aid.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join