It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Martial Law Declared in New Orleans

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Another recent source for the declaration of martial law in New Orleans...

www.wben.com...

New Orleans, LA (CBS) - Martial Law has been declared in New Orleans as conditions continued to deteriorate. Water levels in The Big Easy and it's suburbs are rising at dangerous levels and officials stated they don't know where the water is coming from. Residents are being urged to get out of New Orleans in any way they can as officials fear "life will be unsustainable" for days or even weeks.

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Wasn't there someone on here a bit back that said they will use the hurricane to impose MArtial law, but the orders will be lax in order to lull the citizens into thinking martial law isn't so bad, so that when the "9/11 Sequel: This time it is on the homefront" they can more easily pass through the measures of martial law having had a "dry run" already and instilling a sense that it is still OK to have soldiers walking the streets.

It is hard to see all that come from what appears to be a needed thing here, but funny the stuff the grows when you aren't watching it.

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I'm not sure if it was martial law or not, but back in the 60s, it seems that the national guard, etc. was called out during all the racial violence in some areas of the South.

I wouldn't get to up in the air regarding the declaration of martial law just yet.

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Passer By

I like that way of thinking.

If one thinks in that manner then could one suppose that this devastating hurricane might have been man-made through the use of some kind of weather control. It would seem to me that 'they' would have to be absolutely positive that something so destructive was going to happen that would allow 'their' plan to unfold. I find it hard to believe that 'they' would just leave it up to chance.

Just a thought.

Peace

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 10:50 AM
link   
*conspiracy hat on*

I have this funny, lingering feeling that there is a media blackout being imposed on New Orleans and the affected areas. We have seen relatively little trickle out of the areas from all these correspondents and almost nothing from New Orleans.

Fluffy stories about Dolphins and Monkeys but no aerial assessment shots, videos of floods etc.

I am suspicious!

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nerdling
no aerial assessment shots, videos of floods etc.

I am suspicious!

They had plenty of such videos on FOX -- plus fires!

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Has anyone noticed that with the exception of the source given by JacKatMtn that the headlines and mentions of Martial Law are disappearing?

Am I missing something?

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

no aerial assessment shots, videos of floods etc.

I am suspicious!

They had plenty of such videos on FOX -- plus fires!

From what I've seen on Fox they've been showing aerial assessments of Georgia and Mississippi mostly with some in other states. I did see brief segments on "the human cost" e.g. streets with houses and people looking harried/resilient.

Where are the pictures and videos of the levee's and the historic districts under water? This is one of Americas biggest cities and there is only a handful of videos being passed around!

I still remain suspicious!

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 10:56 AM
link   

*conspiracy hat on*
I have this funny, lingering feeling that there is a media blackout being imposed on New Orleans and the affected areas. We have seen relatively little trickle out of the areas from all these correspondents and almost nothing from New Orleans.

Originally, I was going to post that there have been people blogging updates... but this livejournal I had been watching hasn't updated since last night. He has links to multiple other people's journals and was updating what everybody said up until then.

The declaration makes me feel nervous like there is something else going on, just because it does make us more used to the idea. I guess the problem is we will never know if it's for a reason until it's too late to look back and stop it anyways.

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Is this constitutional???

of course after a major natural disaster. what else are you going to do? its not like they did it just for the fun of it. they want to pick up everything and get everything back and running ASAP and having mobs looting everything will just hinder that. and itll be lifted when everything is back to normal. i believe they do it after sever tornados in some areas also. its just a means to get everything back to normal

some of you guys....i dunno....."OMG! they declared martial law after a hurricane! the end is here! were all going to be put under martial law! OH NO!"

paranoid is no way to go through life guys!

[edit on 8-30-2005 by KrazyIvan]

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Very good points my man. "IF" "They" had such a device one could possible state that they first tried it out in the Tsunami, and testing it's effects they came to a reasonable calculation of the power needed to start, and how quickly the forces would disipate. Wouldn't want to start one over the US without knowing how fast, if at all, it would putter out. So first try it where you aren't going to be responsible for cleaning it up, then use it on your own populace after you have had a good idea of the rates of change in such a "weapon", maybe space based?

With the data firmly in hand they create a huge storm the likes no one has seen in eons, and then lets it go on American soil. Knowing the ease of which martial law can be enacted later, and with complete plausible deniablity, the admin is in a fine position to sit and watch the reactions of the populace. If they like this, don't allow that. Like scientists studying rats to see how they tick "They" are studying us.

With that data in hand and another perl habour/911 occurance, completely coinsidental but helping out the tatics of the admin, martial law can be evoked again, and with the full patriotism in free flow anyone that dares speak up about it will be quickly marginalized and dealt with. Those that have already seen it, or are too frightened to stand up, will accept it and there in the back ground is the fat lady signing.

I follow boxing, one of the greatest promoters in the game has always been Don King. People hate him, and he isn't the only lowly promoter, but he is by far the best. Why? Because he doesn'[t think in today, he thinks five or ten moves in advance. So while you are trying to figure what his next move on based on what he just did,he has already figure that out and is merely watching you, studying you, gauging your reactions to things making it easier to predict what you will do in the future and before long King ends up holding almost everything because he knows what you will do/think/react given the circumstances and he plans accordingly. The dude is a genius - and evil genius, but it is sure hard not to respect someone that takes their life that seriously.

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 11:04 AM
link   
The major networks depend on feeds from their local stations for most of the ususal footage you see on the news.Their usual sources of video feeds aren't fuctioning as usual do to the storm. Also from my understanding, the airport is flooded as well so they are not flying in a fresh batch of reporters.

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 11:06 AM
link   
KI,

Exactly! - What's the big friggin' deal!?

Just because the Bushes are threatening our way of life almost everyday in this country with their "undeclared" suspension of the constitution doesn't mean there isn't actually a legitimate time and place for instituting Martial Law.

A whole city in danger of being detroyed/flooded is probably a valid use of this power.

However it is worrisome that there is really no check and/or balance to this use of power.

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Yes the phrase "Martial Law" is scary, but keep in mind that the local police and firefighters/rescue workers are pretty much screwed like everyone else in N.O. They need an outside force (i.e. National Guard) to come in and restore order to the best of their ability. I don't like the idea of martial law better than anyone else, but someones has to step up and stop the looters and squatters and get them out of there for their own good. I realize that there were some people who couldn't leave for one reason or another when the mandatory evacuation was announced. Some folks stayed just so they could loot after everyone left. But reguardless of why they are there now, they need to get out. It looks like things are gonna get worse before they get better.

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Drudge just flashed that the Pentagon is readying troops to deploy.

Rumours of National Guard units being called home ahead of schedule.

From Iraq? I know the Louisiana National Guard is deployed there. I can't imagine what they are thinking, seeing their state being devastated on tv, and they are powerless to help.

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Two questions/concerns....

Will local officials be working hand-in-hand with the National Guard or will it be a complete take over?

Will we now be getting our updates from the military? If so, does anyone think that it's possible they'll take this opportunity to keep everything under tight wraps and censor what live feeds and info the media will be getting? I know it's Unconstitutional, but what does that really mean anymore?

I realize they're there to help, and they definitely need it - I'm not opposed to this idea (as though the choice were mine to make
), but it just brings certain questions to mind....I mean, it's not every day Martial Law is declared...

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by EnronOutrunHomerun
Two questions/concerns....

Will local officials be working hand-in-hand with the National Guard or will it be a complete take over?

Will we now be getting our updates from the military? If so, does anyone think that it's possible they'll take this opportunity to keep everything under tight wraps and censor what live feeds and info the media will be getting? I know it's Unconstitutional, but what does that really mean anymore?

I realize they're there to help, and they definitely need it - I'm not opposed to this idea (as though the choice were mine to make
), but it just brings certain questions to mind....I mean, it's not every day Martial Law is declared...

That's a very good point about the media. It will be interesting to see if the trickle of information turns into a drip.

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 11:17 AM
link   
who declared ML anyway?

Did it come from Congress or the White House? Or was it done locally? ( is that even possible).

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 11:31 AM
link   
This is what confuses me about Americans.

You scream and thunder about the need for guns to fend off a tyrranical Government. Tell tales of lore about how you would go down in a fiery hail taking those evil troopers down as they try to put you under NWO under control.

Now there are combat boots descending upon New Orleans with the suspension of civil rights following in their wake and you do nothing but nod in acceptance and criticise those who have the gall to be a tiny bit worried.

This fear of utter chaos allows you to accept troops on the ground and that is a very dangerous thing.

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Fox News is now showing video of New Orleans. Major damage, complete destruction of the electrical grid, water is contaminated, all major roads are either flooded or un-usable because of debris. The bridges over the lake northbound are destroyed. Interstate highway 10 is closed because bridges are down or low laying areas are flooded.

The mayor of New Orleans is telling people on AM radio (the only usable communication device) to "get out of New Orleans if you can, and be prepared to stay away for weeks or months."

Latest report states that water is now running down Bourbon Street and getting deeper each minute.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join