It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lefties Around The World....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Via this thread , I became interested in finding out exactly how many of our little planet's population are left-handed. Finding out was not as simple as I'd anticipated, as there appears to have been very little in the way of serious studies.

However....

A few years ago, the late M.P. Bryden, a professor of psychology at the University of Waterloo, worked out with several colleagues a standardized questionnaire on handedness for use in any culture and then showed that it appears more often in some places than others.

Their research shows that in Canada and the U.K., the proportion of left-handers is about 11.5%. As one moves eastward the number falls: 7.5% in the United Arab Emirates, 5.8% in India, 4% in Japan. In Africa, 7.9% of those in the Ivory Coast and 5.1% of those in the Sudan were left-handed.

PDF link here

And according to another study (this time by Wysocki), people of Asian (9.3%) or Hispanic (9.1%) lineage are slightly less likely to be left-handed than whites, blacks, or North American Indians.

Sooo...it appears that - at least without having further data to peruse - Western nations actually have a higher percentage of lefties than their more Easterly counterparts. Interestingly, in non-human primates the split seems to be about 50-50.

Something to add to your trivia collection

(and something to rebuke the claim that most non-Americans are left-handed. It appears that they're not...)

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 08:47 AM
link   
I'm a leftie. European - German, Male.

You can add me to your statistic

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Southpaw here
Male
Cherokee
I do admit that 3 generations back there was a German in the lineage which explains the blonde hair that I have. The only one in 2 gens to have it to

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Another lefty here... born in NY, but of Guyanese descent... and there's quite few lefties in my family as well.. I know of about 3 or 4 off the top of my head.

(Gotta represent!)

[STAY COOL)
-prophetmike

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Lefty born in New york.... lived on the east coast of the US all my life. Italian and mixed european lineage.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Ambidextrous for the most, part but I favor my left a bit more.

Born in northeast Illinois, just outside the Chicago suburbs. German, Scottish, Irish, English ancestry. Mostly German though.

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Lefty here to.

Mixed Native American, and mixed Europian, lineages.

Born/Raised in WV., USA

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Lefty here. Female. My lineage is Scotch-Irish and Cherokee. I was born in Texas.

top topics

join