It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mediasentry And ATS?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 07:44 AM
link   
I got a decent IP Blocker a while back and I noticed that when I set it to block http and tried to open ATS with Internet Explorer, it recognised the IP address of Mediasentry.
www.safenet-inc.com...

news.com.com...
Tom Mizzone, vice president of data services at New York-based MediaSentry, told the Sydney court on Thursday that his company is able to identify Australian users of Kazaa software by tracking IP addresses.

What's up with that?

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Bumping for your convenience, but not qualified to know what you're asking.

Unless....

It's like a Seinfeld thing.

Originally posted by twitchy
What's up with that?

In which case.

I know! And what about airline peanuts?

What's up with that?

[edit on 30-8-2005 by RANT]

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 08:00 AM
link   
What particular IP blocker, and what do you mean "it recognised the IP address of Mediasentry" when attempting to get to ATS?

The company itself of MediaSentry [now owned by SafeNet] deals with anti-piracy geared toward the entertainment industry.

Depending on the blocker, if it is geared towards using P2P apps, then MediaSentry may be a default entry to detect for, as the app would block all addresses from MediaSentry's domain from gaining access to your shares [some even deny a ping]. If your blocker detected this upon trying for ATS, there may be a linked pic, mp3, or URL [perhaps even a banner ad] within ATS that has an IP within the MediaSentry domain, giving you the the trigger that it [blocker] found an IP on it's default block list.

Misfit

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 08:05 AM
link   
You beat me to the punch there Misfit.
It is most likely pinging on a gif or such of one of the ads here.
Twitchy,
quick test of this would be to log into ATS, allow IE to auto log you into the site.
Close IE then open it up again to ATS and see if it happens again.

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by kenshiro2012
...quick test of this would be to log into ATS, allow IE to auto log you into the site. Close IE then open it up again to ATS and see if it happens again.

Yup, I tried your test and when I have the IP blocker set to block http it wont even open ATS and registers pings from mediasentry, then when I set it to allow http, it opens fine but doesn't record anything but the IP address displaying and now allowing the same IP ranges but without actually saying mediasentry. Aparently you can't even open ATS without allowing medisentry.

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 03:12 PM
link   
You're not alone Twitchy, I see it too. Many websites have been infiltrated by MPAA/RIAA spies. An invasion of privacy is what it is... and frankely I think we deserve an explanation from SO...

[edit on 30-8-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I asked him about it and all he said was 'all your base are belong to us'

Weird huh?

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
I asked him about it and all he said was 'all your base are belong to us'

Weird huh?

..... not funny ..... I'm getting pinged by an "untrusted" source by going to ATS. As long as that happens ATS is now considered an "untrusted" source now. What does that mean? That means I have to manually enable and disable about 2 different software firewalls just to access the site.

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I'm either not following this, or there isn't enough information to understand the issue.

If you turn off HTTP, no website will get through to your browser.

More information would help.

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Sardion provided a snippet from his logs (thanks) and it appears as through Peerguardian 2 is reporting the ATS IP address (70.86.59.150 IP whois) as resolving to MediaSentry.

This is very odd. I'd complain to the developers of Peerguardian about the false flag. I wonder how many other false indications you're getting?

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
I wonder how many other false indications you're getting?

In case you did not imply this as well, same can also be in reverse - how many times has he thought he is protected, when actually is not!

Misfit

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Hi y'all,
I run ActivePorts from time to time. After reading this thread I checked and found 70.86.59.153 running which is ATS ... as is 70.86.59.150 and no doubt similar URLs also point here.
ActivePorts didn't return the 'name' but IE took me there when I plugged in the URL.
What ... no spyloggers at ATS ... what kind of a conspiracy site is this.

top topics

join