It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biotech Breakthrough of the Decade!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 04:51 AM
link   
This may turn out to be one of the greatest discoveries of the decade in terms of Biotech!

"miracle" mice!

A group of scientists at the Wistar Institute have created "miracle" mice that have the ability to regenerate limbs and body parts ala Wolverine of the X-men fame. The mice appear to be able to regenerate most bodyparts including limbs and organs and seem to have an accelerated healing; the only organ not regenerated was the brain.

The possibilities of this technology are mind boggling... most injuries would not need surgery, instead a simple sterilization would suffice. When this is implemented in humans... are we all going to be X-men? The future is going to be fantastic!

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 01:50 PM
link   
"And when cells from the test mouse are injected into ordinary mice, they too acquire the ability to regenerate, the US-based researchers say."

Holy crap!

I knew that certain reptiles were able to regrow limbs but this is unprecedented.

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 02:15 PM
link   
This is the greatest medical breakthru ever.

Remove diseased organs; grow new ones.

Immortality maybe?

It's a brave new world; welcome to the monkey house!!

The ethitical implications are staggering!

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Does this mean we really can be Reptilians now? Well there goes that myth.

Human shots will probably be $10+ million a pop though.

Grow gills too....

[edit on 30-8-2005 by Regenmacher]

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sigma
A group of scientists at the Wistar Institute have created "miracle" mice that have the ability to regenerate limbs and body parts ala Wolverine of the X-men fame. The mice appear to be able to regenerate most bodyparts including limbs and organs and seem to have an accelerated healing; the only organ not regenerated was the brain.

The Brain does naturally regenerate (at least in human)...!
healthlink.mcw.edu...

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 02:45 PM
link   
wow
incredible indeed, great find. wonder if any larger media will report this so more people can learn of this.

michael jackson would be able to grow his normal nose back, how sweet is that!

we'll see how far this marvel grows to

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 03:38 PM
link   
This is especially surprising when taken in with recent results that showed that they could genetically alter mice and allow them to live something like 20% longer.

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 04:52 PM
link   

The ethitical implications are staggering!

Really now please do fill us in. We are not growing human clones then harvesting them for parts, this is much more efficient then "vat" grown organs as well.

This is especially surprising when taken in with recent results that showed that they could genetically alter mice and allow them to live something like 20% longer.

Naw not that surprising IMHO, it was bound to happen sooner or later. It's been one of the hyped up promises of Biotech since the 80s. As for the longevity thing i think it was something liike 30 %. Can't find the article right now ...

[edit on 30-8-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 08:56 PM
link   
this really is a miracle.I wonder what i time frame for testing in humans is.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Holy crap this is so cool, but I do have a couple of questions I would like to ask the scientists that conducted teh experiments;

Does this mean that the limbs of the amputated mice grew back exactly to its previous state, i.e., with the exact same bone, joint, muscle and cartilage structure?

How long did it take for the mice to fully grow back the organs/limb(s) and get back full use of them ? How long would this be on a human time scale. Would it work on at all ages?

What are the side effects, if any?

P.S.

You have voted Sigma for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have two more votes this month.
This is a great find.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 01:37 AM
link   
SIGN ME UP I got a 1/2 a lung to regrow !!!!!!!!

I wish they put how long it took the mice to regen

but just....wow if i could get a shot my lungs and spine would be ok! no more spending $110 on medical marijuana a month

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Although i find it amazing i think playing God is dangerous.. I can cure my heartburn by taking a pill and risk getting migraine headaches as a side effect,what am i risking to grow my leg back

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimstradamus
Although i find it amazing i think playing God is dangerous..

The playing god meme is dangerous line in of itself. Not the so-called act of played god but the opposition to a technology due to a belief that playing god is dangerous it could lead to bans and dangerous back alley black markets in "rogue territory."

Asking wether or not we should do something is moot because if it's possible you can count on the fact that we as a species will do it at one time or another, in one place or another.

I can cure my heartburn by taking a pill and risk getting migraine headaches as a side effect,

Huh? I take Calcium Carbonate quite often and cannot from memory remember have ever getting a headache let alone a migraine. I cannot see how this is relevant to this discussion. Apples and Oranges.

what am i risking to grow my leg back

Getting bored of life and killing yourself on your 300th birthday. That is if you survive the initial treatments, on with the experiments!

[edit on 1-9-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000

Getting bored of life and killing yourself on your 300th birthday. That is if you survive the initial treatments, on with the experiments!

Here, here! Death should be an option and deemed an unnatural course of events if it did occur. Science should not be held back for the sake of politcal correct thinking.

That "shouldn't play God sheeple stuff" is getting really old and lame. Time to step up to the plate! If you were created in God's image and believe those those religous dogmas, then it's time start creating and get out of the fear cave.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 03:05 AM
link   
If you get bored at 300 years of age, go fly into a star or blackhole, even advanced nanotech wouldn't save you from them.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 06:22 AM
link   
So really.......all you'd basically have to do is, while keeping you alive via life support or something, destroy or remove your organs one by one, perhaps destroy your skin where your wrinkles are, whatever, and it will regrow new stuff!? Thats scary but maybe half a year in hospital compared to 50 years onto your life?

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Well thats the hope, although it hasn't been shown to extend life... yet. The mice they are experimenting on are a year and a half old so we should know soon how long this technology will keep them alive.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 07:01 AM
link   
this would be amazing if it first helped those people mostly in need of it, say those who have had limbs blown off due to landmines or survivors of rwanda who had their hands chopped off etc. i hope it doesnt just end up as something only the rich can afford

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Regenmacher

Human shots will probably be $10+ million a pop though.

[edit on 30-8-2005 by Regenmacher]

Not if you know anything about the law of supply/demand.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 10:37 AM
link   
super soldiers & human minesweepers

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join