It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Everyone Wants To Know......But Maybe We're Not Ready.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Everyone wants to know "more" about the unknown but are we ready for it?

"Nordics are intrigued by humanity's diversity of spirit, and they are also amzed at humanity's fear of it's own diversity. Rather than valuing it, the Nordics say, humans condemn it and teach their young to react violently towards people of other races. It is this vilent part of human nature that has alarmed beings from other worlds, the Nordics have told their contactees, and it is they who fear us and our capability to inflict violence on other planets int he galaxy. Nordics have said that human beings are being kept within a tightly circumscribed perimeter around this planet in order to contain that violence, with the full knowledge of their governements, who are aware of the role extraterrestrials are playing on the Earth." - UFO ENCYCLOPEDIA

Regardless of whether or not you believe in UFOs I have to say "AMEN TO THAT BROTHER"

1 - We are not even capable of taking care of our own planet and we want to "explore" space!?!? Do we want an Exxon Valdez happening on the moon?
2 - We can't even get along with our neighbours let alone people from another world. Hector and Jimmybob can't see eye to eye when they hear Shakira vs Faith Hill blasting out each other's backyards.
3 - We can't even handle dealing with the biological unknowns of this world let alone be exposed to intergalactic organisms. What of an intergalactic SARS? Or an intergalactic W. Bush. (oh yea that was in Revenge of the Sith)

Perhaps knowledge is a power that the human race has not learned to handle.

Maybe we ARE the backward hillbillies of the galaxy and the earth is our little trailer park. Until we mature and learn more about ourselves we won't be able to handle the knowledge that there's lifeforms beyond this planet.

Maybe the government is doing us a favour by keeping us in the dark.
Maybe ignorance is bliss.

This is a little ethical question I'm throwing out. I would like to know about ufos, aliens as much as the next man but are our feeble minds able to handle such information?

How can we handle knowing that there's aliens amongst us when we can't even get along with the neighbours next door due to politics/race/religion/or the ugly louda$$ 81 Camaro with the Cross-Fire Injection that backfires parked on their lawn?

[edit on 30-8-2005 by hotsheets]

[edit on 30-8-2005 by John bull 1]

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Amen to that my brother. I believe we are not alone in the universe, and that we are in comparison with other civilizations just Neanderthals who can not control our urges. i hope we can get ourself together and make contact on basis of mutual respect.... Peace

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Perhaps, but then again maybe we are ready.

Who can really judge? I have found that no one is ever ready for the really important things in life. Ask anyone who has children if they were 'ready', most will say no. And yet somehow we manage.

Maybe we are overly violent, and maybe compared to the rest of the Races of the Universe we are dangerous. But maybe not. Perhaps someday we will find out that on a Universal scale we are peaceful as hell.

Even one murder is too much, I fully agree. But perfection is an illusion, something to be strived for certainly, but never achieved.

And you know, for every 'Hector and Jimmybob' there are a thousand others who do get along every day without violence. Perspective is important not arbitrary standards.

A.T
(-)

[edit on 8/30/05 by Alexander Tau]

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alexander Tau
Perhaps, but then again maybe we are ready.

We are ready? look at the news, the killing 'in the name of god', perverts how attack innocent childeren, 'the war on terror', countries how take lands with the blessing of superpowers, nuke suitcases that are missing, etc, etc.....

Whe have a long way to go i think...

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Do you honestly think the news is a valid way to judge? The news media reports almost exclusively on bad stuff.

I guess my point about 'Hector and Jimmybob' did not make much of an impression so I will try again.

A murder is a terrible thing, but for every murder there are a million people who make it through the day.

What is the standard here? X killings per day, Y Wars per Century, what?

If you have never done so, try looking up some newspapers from oh say 100 years ago. Every Age laments that things are going to 'hell' and pines for the 'good old days'. Neither is ever correct, how could they be? What we call the 'good old days' today is the time when we were 'going to hell' yesterday.

We will always, always, have a long way to go. As long as a single person dies from violence, as long as hatred exists, as long as misunderstandings occur, we will have more work to do.

It is a matter of perspective, not looking only at what is bad, but balancing that with what is good. Is racism dead, of course not, but compare today to 40 years ago. The places where it is acceptable to be racist are almost nonexistant compared to back then.

Does this mean we should stop trying to combat racism, no! But at the same time we should recognize how far we have come and be proud of that.

By your standards Sebastiaan I suspect that we will never be Ready.

A.T
(-)

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alexander Tau
By your standards Sebastiaan I suspect that we will never be Ready.

That is what i mean. In 'the old days' people didn't know any better. Now with all the info we have access to i would think that humanity would improve himself... Now we have the ability to influence other people but instead we make yet larger bombs to kill more and more people. Now we have organizations who dictate the rest of the world on how to behave (in a bad manner i mean). We have weapons that can destroy a city but still there are nations (quiz - witch country do i mean...) who opposes a resolution to increase aid to '3rd world countries'...

We have a long road ahead if we do not crash against the tree of our own ego.....

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 06:57 AM
link   
I feel it is also pertinent to point out that these alien races are almost certainly not perfect themselves. Whether we are a violent species when compared with others is a difficult judgement to make, given that we literally know nothing about the cultures or sociology of alien races. However, it is likely that the aliens were, at some stage in their past, violent to some degree. Our own history has shown us not only that technological advancement is heightened during times of conflict, but also that colonisation and exploration is often itself an aggressive act.

Aggression is a natural and useful survival mechanism for all animals, to some extent. I feel confident that any alien species we encounter will be capable of aggression and violence, even if they are perhaps more restrained than we.

I would also like to point out that the aliens have not lived and evolved on Earth. Humans have faced a series of challenges from our earliest primordial days that were unique to this planet and aggression, adaptation and innovation have been some of our best survival tools. I feel that it is not the place of any species who has not evolved facing the specific challenges we have on Earth to judge us one way or the other.

[edit on 30/8/05 by Jeremiah25]

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Mabey thier not judging us, but only protecting us. A race of aliens that has the abilty keep us "herded" on our little piece of pasture in the galaxy obviously knows whats out there.

Remember when Bush went to Australia and gave them the thumbs-up before he left. He meant well, but it upset an entire continent of people. He didn't know any better. We may get out there, meet other civilizations, and make the same mistake, only the consequences might be worse.

I've always thought the Nordics were related to our species. Mabey we are thier sentient species to look over. Thier responsibility in a way. I feel we as a species are ready, it's the few people who refuse to accept, and learn about other cultures that cause a hinderance.

If an alien species were to come live on our planet, and try to co-exist with us peacefully, there would be serious problems from certain people. People who are mentaly, and spiritually closed off to new ideas, and new things. Even if you told them, "Well if you don't like it just look away.", they would still feel like they needed to stick thier nose in it, and voice thier oppinions.

Mabey one day all things will be revealed, and hopefully the ones able to accept the new responsibilities that come with it will be in the forerunning to help,and explore.

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Maybe you're right, maybe we're not ready, maybe we are. It doesn't matter either way, what will happen will happen, whatever will be will be.

Arguing over how ready and how mature the human race is will not change anything, at this moment we remain unsure of what could be out there and the next moment we may know all the answers, regardless of our state of readyness.

new topics

top topics

join