It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Swarm Of Butterflies In The Arctic Icy Waters

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I really havn't looked into this very much, but I feel that corporations like Monsanto are to blame for the loss of the Monarch.

Monarch Resources are Declining
Milkweeds and nectar sources are declining due to development and the widespread use of herbicides in croplands, pastures and roadsides. Because 90% of all milkweed/monarch habitats occur within the agricultural landscape, farm practices have the potential to strongly influence monarch populations. Why we are concerned:

• Farm and ranch land is disappearing at rate of nearly 3,000 acres per day. In a 5-year period starting in 1992, 6 million acres of farmland (an area the size of the state of Maryland) were converted to subdivisions, factories, and other developments (www.farmland.org).

• Widespread adoption of herbicide-resistant corn and soybeans in the last 5 years has resulted in the loss of at least 80 million acres of monarch habitat.

• Use of herbicides along roadsides continues to reduce milkweeds and nectar plants.

www.monarchwatch.org...

If we lose the Milkweed we lose the Monarch.

Roadside Management
The use of herbicides and frequent mowing along roadsides has converted much of this habitat to grasslands – a habitat generally lacking in food and shelter for wildlife. These habitats constitute 2-4% of the land area throughout the monarch’s summer breeding range. Although some states have started to increase the diversity of plantings along roadsides, including milkweeds, these programs are small.

I see no reason to mow or spray the side of a road. Let nature have that bit of land and just keep the trees back so that cars don't hit them, and mow near the corners if it's required for visibility. A good thick patch of long grasses will slow a car down when it leaves the road a lot better than some neatly trimmed patch of monocultured verge.

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Appearing like a cyber-nerd and an obsessional occult otaku did you know that the Codexes down in Latin America were made from Moth Pupae, and also that Mexico has a moth called the Rothschilda Moth.

I thrill with excitement when we hear stories that co-relate with the swarms of butterflies and the plausible flapping that their wings could in theory kick-start a riot of a storm elsewhere within the Planet Earth due to Chaotic and Stochastic Currents, that seem to fractally whip up a right old vortex above within the ionosphere causing chaos wherever it takes the elements.

I am of course refering to the James Gleick book, "Chaos," which was a right beauty when it was released.

As a point of insect interest aren't the Monarch said to appear as if they are slowly dwindling in their respective population statistics? I'm sure I heard of a story about that.

Now the Totenkopf Moth favourite of Toltecs Shamans and all Datura heads - now that is a Real Gem!

new topics

<< 1   >>

join