It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia develops unique weapons

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Wot is this? First article looks like third world arms marketing, or what you can order out of the Jane's Defense arms catalog for sheeple.

So where's the beam weapons?
How about the EMP cellphone neutralizer?

This is more what I call revolutionary:
www.metalstorm.com...

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Well kudo's to Russian R&D, although behind the US in several areas Russia seems to be putting out some pretty neat stuff lately.

The concept of an underwater gun does have it's uses for certain operations. The robot is indeed impressive, one of the better anti-terror robots I've ever seen. No doubt they'd be useful against terrorists if they could put in an order for a good amount of them.

As for that helmet and armor, thats insane. I must say those are some very very nice figures, definatly a fine piece of work.

Overall this is some pretty cool stuff, probably some of the best Russian weaponry since the Super Flanker.

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 02:45 PM
link   
The amount of kneejerk reaction - "it's Russian so it must be bad" - is a bit worrying. If people in the US are really so blind to the possibility of technology that was 'not invented here' then we could really be in trouble. Underestimating others is not a safe approach!

The underwater rifle has indeed been around a while, but the Russians still seem to have the lead here - the US RAMICS round (for neutralising mines) is still not operation but is essentially doing the same job. Supercavitation, among other things, is a Russian speciality.

You have to say that their track record with nonlethals is not good so far...but this may improve.

PS I visited a few bits of Russia a long time ago, and was impressed in many ways. Not much by way of consumer durables, but the high levels of culture and education were noticeable - and I have seen the same in other parts of Eastern europe. Political and economic problems, maybe, but there are some extremely sharp brains in that part of the world.

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wembley

The amount of kneejerk reaction - "it's Russian so it must be bad" - is a bit worrying. If people in the US are really so blind to the possibility of technology that was 'not invented here' then we could really be in trouble. Underestimating others is not a safe approach!

My complaint is the good stuff is missing and the initial poster is showing us mundane weaponry when there are dozens more advanced systems.

Yes it would be insane to underestimate the Russians. It's also a diservice to list that stuff as the latest and greatest. HA!

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Business is business - when did a trade show ever advertise itself as "some of our mediocre and second-rate stuff that's been kicking around a while we might be able to sell"?

It would be interesting to know what prices are like compared to Western counterparts. I recall seeing once that you could pick up a MiG-29 for something like $3m (!), but buyers were wary of the whole life cost of the plane, supplier support etc. Still looks like a bargain by Western standards.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 01:49 PM
link   

MiG-29 for something like $3m

What, a MiG-29 for 3 million? You mean 30 million rights?

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cebu

Originally posted by prelude
...have you ever been to Russia ? I am sure you havent ....had you been you wouldnt have called all those a realty ...
by the way I have been to US ,Uk ,Poland ,Ukraine ,Germany and India

I've been to Russia, twice. I've traveled from Denmark across Sweden, took a ship to Helsinki Finland and then a train down to St Petersburg. I took another trip to Moscow about 2 years ago and spent two weeks in Russia in the countryside. I will tell you that from what I've seen of Russia the larger cities appear to be doing very well, but you get into the countryside and that's when you see how people are really living. The impoverished looking little towns like Ryazan and others I passed through give a better picture of how Russia is really doing. What did amaze me was the mass building of rat cage size apartment complexes. Especially in St Petersburg. I was very surprised when visiting a friend's apartment there how small and very simple his place was. When I stepped out onto his balcony I could see numerous complexes like his being built. But this is in the cities. You get into the countryside and it's a totally different story. You can give all kinds of numbers and statistics about how the economy is growing but I ask you when was the last time you took a stroll through your countryside? If you do becareful of the roads because they are pretty rough. I recently read that Russia has increased it's defense spending by a considerable margin. And I just wondered how much increase has gone into spending to better the infastructure? I've also been to the US, Poland, Iceland, Hong Kong, Japan, and the Philippines by the way.
Cebu

a few comments
1 unlike any other country 75% of the Russians live in cities NOT in villages so Russia's development should better be judjed by her cities than her dachas(Village in Russian )
(please google to verify)

2 Yes many people living in the villages are poor but these people have something in common
1 most of them are old unable to do any work
2 most of them has failed to adopt to the new system and still hope that the Government is going to do everything for them as it did during the Soviet times .....
3 Alcoholism is wide spread with them

in the mojority of the people who live in the villages are the people(most of them old) who havent been able to adapt to the new system rather who fear the new system ......This is quite common in any country them there is such a big political chane (Communism to capitalism) however this can be ignored coz they constitute 10% of the population

3 Russian Villages are the most sparsely populated villages in the world in common 1 village houses approx 5 families .....and miles after miles you cant find a humanbeing at all ...its not possible to provide ALL facilities in these conditions ....considering the huge size of Russia and small population density
Stll all the villages do have telephone and internet , connection electricity 24hour hot and cold water supply all provided by the Govt almost free .........Many East european countries dont have such facilities

4 about the appartments in St petersburg : I hope you havent been to a middleclass appartment in Germany they are worst .....Land and appartment is very expensive in any part of europe ...its cheaper in Asia ....that dosent say anything about the economy ...Its a particularity of a particular country....and when you have been to Petersburg (I stay there ) I am sure you have also seen the appartments which look more like palaces than buildings Near the Nevskiz prospect ........I havent seen such High class Appartments any where in this world and ........yes the are inhabited by the well to do middle class

5 Rayazan is a very very small town in Russia still it has better Infastructure than many German Polish towns i have been to .It has a Medical University of her own with world recognition

Lastly things are improving at a very fast rate ...Russia today is a land of oppurtunity for any smart man ..the only ones who are comparatively poor are the old people and some villagers who havenot been able to the new system

And where are you from Phillipines right?
........ No comments

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 06:34 PM
link   
How are the Turkish speaking people treated in Russia? Is it allowed to learn/speak Turkish now? I know allot of the people in Russia are from Turkish or closely related decent.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by tomcat ha
How are the Turkish speaking people treated in Russia? Is it allowed to learn/speak Turkish now? I know allot of the people in Russia are from Turkish or closely related decent.

Turks constitute a very small percentage of russian immigrants ....... in st Petersburg most of the immigrants in Russia are from (ranked by their percentage )
1 CIS (including the baltic states )
2 China
3 Vietnam
4 Korea
5 germans (prisoners of WW2 and their relatives who steeled here during the USSR )
6 Turkish ,Romanian, Bulgarians
7 Arabians , Indians

Pure Russians are in general bit introvert when it comes to foreigners ......we in general dont have any negative(or positive ) feelings against the Turks...as we have against the Poles Chinese and yanks .
Germans,. Italians ,British and French are among the races people like to interact with
You can learn any language you like ...but everywhere in russia Russian is the official language however in schools you are allowed to choose your 2nd language among a number of languages ...I think Turkish is one of them ...mine was german

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Actually i didnt mean turkish immigrants. We turks originate from central asia. Kazachistan and such all have large ammounts of turks or turkmen occaisionally called. Previously during the times of the soviet union they made those people learn russian instead of turkish.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 02:39 PM
link   
"What, a MiG-29 for 3 million? You mean 30 million rights? "

No, $3m - actually I think it was $2.8m and this was in the late 90's.

A quick google suggests it has gone up since then - "The MiG-29 sells for anywhere between US$20-$27 million, depending upon the terms of the package deal, amount in barter versus hard currency." You probably get a better stereo and alloy wheels for that

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by prelude

And where are you from Phillipines right?
........ No comments

Nope I'm American living in the Phillipines. And to laugh about a third world country's unfortunes is should I say...........No comment

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I don't care how much a MiG 29 costs.. Its still me fav plane and the Su-30 is pretty cheap too I hear..

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 09:02 PM
link   
finaly! ive been looking all over for new russian weapons... all i found is the future force warior... american stuff....i finaly found something GOOD (not just some crappy suit with a old weapon in a new case)

[edit on 3-9-2005 by russiankid]

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by russiankid
finaly! ive been looking all over for new russian weapons... all i found is the future force warior... american stuff....i finaly found something GOOD (not just some crappy suit with a old weapon in a new case)

[edit on 3-9-2005 by russiankid]

Alright, well... Where is it?

Shattered OUT...

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Alright, well... Where is it?

Good one, I expect russiankid is fuming right about.... now.

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by russiankid

You still trying to find it or it hasn't been invented yet?

Still waiting too....

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Good one, I expect russiankid is fuming right about.... now.

Well no, it's that he was so happy to announce he finally found this amazing tech, yet it's no where to be found, I too would like to see this new tech, but where is it?

Shattered OUT...

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Bet America's gon'a buy some....they gon'a need it for the Venezula/Cuba War ....lots of waterfront property in those countries...plus New Orleans could use em right about now.

Y'r Canadian friend,
Sven

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 10:23 AM
link   
QUOTE : Well no, it's that he was so happy to announce he finally found this amazing tech, yet it's no where to be found, I too would like to see this new tech, but where is it?
"

there is a lot of advanced soviet / russian inovations out there , alas the OPs article didnt include much

one of my favourites , largely ignored in the west was the WIG " caspian sea monster "

see here :

encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com...

IMHO it just begs for adoption as :

hi speed ferries

heavy lift logistics [ far faster than ship , far higher capacity than plane at 75% the speed of air ]

a lot has been written about its military value , but having seen the vids , i would prefer that someone else used it to distract the enemy while i take a safer , slower stealthier transport

YRS - APE

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join