It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Irans Military Capability.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
NR

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Since there has been alot of tension between U.S and Iran i decided to post their capablities, starting off with their uniforms.

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I've posted the following clip before but it's worthy of a repost as it shows Iranian military capability much better than just a uniform.

2004-12-08-War-Games-In-Iran

NR

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Irans main military weapons consist of M-16, AK-47, G-3 and Khaibar which all are made by them.

M-16/G-3

Khaibar.

AK-47.

NR

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 11:06 AM
link   
they also are making a new tank called Zulfiqar 3 MBT which will probably show up this september at their military parade.

[edit on 29-8-2005 by Thomas Crowne]

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 11:06 AM
link   
can their airforce fly at night ? I'm not kidding. The first US strikes will be stealth bombings and cruise missile attacks of their military infrastructure, communications and energy mostly. Electrical substations, command bunkers and the like

Once we take off the head, the rest is just mopping up.

The only quetion that matters is their air defense system.

Can it survive the first 5 hours ?

NR

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx high priest
can their airforce fly at night ? I'm not kidding. The first US strikes will be stealth bombings and cruise missile attacks of their military infrastructure, communications and energy mostly. Electrical substations, command bunkers and the like

Once we take off the head, the rest is just mopping up.

The only quetion that matters is their air defense system.

Can it survive the first 5 hours ?

of course it can bro, they also make their own jetfighters and SAM.

Saegeh-80 video should be here.

www.network54.com...

Their own versian of S-200.

another SAM named Shahab Taqeb.

Misagh-1.

[edit on 29-8-2005 by NR]

NR

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 11:20 AM
link   
They also make their own APC called Boraq.

One of Iran's prize achievements is the “Boraq” armoured personnel carrier which was conceived during the Iran-Iraq war but did not roll off the assembly lines of the Shahid Kolahdooz Complex until 1997. The Boraq is a thick-skinned, 13 tonne, fully amphibious tracked vehicle with seating for a crew of three and eight soldiers and carrying a fifty calibre machine gun on top. Other variants carry a 120 mm mortar or an anti-tank missile launcher. The Boraq is a marriage between the Russian BMP-1 hull and engine and the American (United Defense) M-113 wheel and track system. Iran still have over 300 BMP-1s in service while the US technology dates back to the days of the Shah. Fully loaded, the vehicle can travel 65 kph for 500 kilometres. While the Boraq is still in production and used in active service, Iran is also bringing two newer models of APC online, all advertised for export.

One of Iranian military's greatest threats are its self-propelled howitzers. The Shahid Industrial Complex manufactures two models of self-propelled howitzer, a 36 tonne 155mm, and a 17.5 tonne 122 mm. All parts of these weapon systems are locally produced using Iranian steel including the 850 horsepower diesel engines and its 8 gear transmissions. The 155 mm “Thunder 2” self-propelled howitzer has inch-thick welded steel armour requiring a near direct hit to destroy it. The Thunder 2 can travel at 65 kph with a range of 450 km and can fire four, several-pound, rocket-assist high explosive projectiles per minute to a distance of 30 km. The Thunder 2 is a knock-off of the American (United Defense Industries) M109 of which 440 were sold to Iran, many still operational. The Thunder 2 has been in quantity production for several years.

NR

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 11:25 AM
link   
irans TOWs/ATGM

The Aerospace Industries Organisation (AIO) of Iran has revealed it is manufacturing a long-range anti-tank guided weapon (ATGW) called Toophan. It looks similar to the US Raytheon Systems Company Tube-launched Optically-tracked Wire-guided (TOW) ATGW that entered service with Iran over 25 years ago.

Two versions are being built: the standard Toophan, which has one high-explosive anti-tank (HEAT) warhead weighing 3.6kg that will penetrate 550mm of conventional steel armour. Toophan 2, has a tandem HEAT warhead weighing 4.1kg that is claimed will penetrate 760mm of conventional steel armour protected by explosive reactive armour. The AOI says a retrofit of Toophan 2 warhead on Toophan missiles is possible.

Both missiles can reach a top range of 3,850m, while top speed is 310m/s. The Toophan uses a semi-automatic command-to-line-of sight system for guidance.

Armoured vehicles and helicopters as well as a standard tripod launcher can deploy the Toophan. Toophan variant is comparable to the Basic TOW, while the Toophan 2 is comparable to the Improved TOW, which also has an extendable nose probe.

The AOI said the Toophan could be launched from existing TOW launchers and the range of the Toophan matches that of the TOW.

Iran has deployed the standard tripod version of the TOW for many years as well as mounting the system on United Defense M113 series armoured personnel carriers. It is also air-launched from Iran's Bell AH-1J Cobra attack helicopters.

The AIO has also developed a Toophan advanced guidance set (MGS-2). Improvements include: guidance algorithms, tracking and measures to counter enemy electro-optical jammers. It can also auto self-test.

Earlier this year, it was revealed that Iran was also manufacturing another ATGW called Towsan-1/M113. This is understood to be a local version of the Russian 9K113 Konkurs (NATO designation: AT-5 ' Spandrel') ATGW developed by the Tula KBP Instrument Design Bureau (Jane's Defence Weekly 12 January). In recent years Iran has been building improved versions of the Russian AT-3 Sagger under the local name of Raad.

www.janes.com...

Iran makes a copy of the Russian AT-3 9M14M (Sagger or Ra’ad) anti-tank guided missile. An improved version of RAAD missile, RAAD-T missile, incorporates a tandem warhead armament system and due to new airframe, its maneuverability increased considerably. Irrespective of the year and place of production, all versions of RAAD missiles can be upgraded to the new version. The RAAD-T weapon system is a portable anti-tank guided missile, which is used to attack any armored fighting vehicle including those with Explosive Reactive Armor (ERA). In field operations, only by one ground guidance equipment, up to four missiles on their launchers can be shot, each in every 30 seconds. The system Safety and Arming Device (SAD) provides a high level of safety during the transportation and handling besides a reliable arming in operation. It is transported in new packing and tested with new equipment. By impacting the target, even at high angles of attack, explosion of the front charge, will remove the Explosive Reactive Armor (ERA) and after a delay time, the main charge will be exploded and the tank distrusted.

www.fas.org...

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 12:03 PM
link   
bummer for the stealth pilots, we'll have to use cruise missiles the first day. Unless you're saying a shoulder mounted weapon can take out an f-117 and a cruise missile

but can thier fighters fly at night ?

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Interesting post NR. Very Interesting.

I think people often underestimate Iran. From what you have shown so far it looks like alot of their technology is blended Russian/American. Indeed it is easy to see where most of the weapons shown are descended from. What I think makes Iran different from most other Middle Eastern countries is the fact that they can manufacture their own weapons and are in a lot of respects self sufficient. Do you know what their training doctrine is based around? Is it based around Soviet methods or is it based around US methods pre-Shah of have they formulated their own tactical doctrines?

People often say that the US would kick Irans ass. I think in the end the US would win, but with massive casualties which would probably lead to stalemate. (The US public doesn't like it when its troops die) The Iran/Iraq war fought over eight years demonstrates this point well. Iraq, one of the strongest arab armies in the middle east at the time attacked an Iranian military that was still suffering purges of officers linked to the Shah and was thus somewhat crippled. Additionaly spares for their American supplied equipment had also dried up, yet they fought (very bravely) and took a hell of a lot of casualties.

Even so, air power is the key today and I don't know what the Iranian air force is like. The fact that the fly Tom Cats still, demonstrates to me a high level of competance because Tom Cats are very demanding aircraft. Indeed their engines need to be stripped down after every flight and re-built. (Its true!). Now although they may be competant with the equipment they have the Tom Cat is still an old Fighter/Interceptor and unless they have updated the electronics I doubt it could go head to head with modern US fighters.

This leads me onto my next point, electonics. Im not sure what the Iranian capability is in this department. I doubt the Iranians can compete on this side of things with the US. What is your opinion?

Command and control is the next things. Mr Hussain liked to have everything under his control. Indeed many Arab armies have suffered from overcentralised command leading to a slow reaction to threats which is why the Israelis have run circles round the arabs in the past. It was the same with Iraq and the US. (Yes I know the Iranians aren't arabs but are in fact Persians but the point remains valid). Would C+C be effected by the Clerical leadership in the event of a war? Can they overule Generals? Because if they can its a recipie for disaster.

Despite all this, I don't think it will come to war. China has $200 billion in contracts with Iran for oil. India is also a big user of Iranian oil. China will veto any security council decision that affects Iran.

In conclusion, it is important not to underestimate the Iranians. They are on a drive for self sufficiency and have achieved many things. Iran wants to be a regional power and given time I think they will achive this but I doubt they will ever be a match for the US until they become electronic masters because technology these days is the key.

One last question NR. Are you Iranian? (Just curious)

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 01:22 PM
link   
the Zulfiqar looks just like the Abrams tank from the way it looks on the side. in anicase its wats inside the tank that works than the appearance that is similar to America's most powerful tank.

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Iran has great weapons and defenses, no doubt at all.

But their air force is irrelevant, and for all intents and purposes their ground forces are irrelevant too, no matter what they have.

Why?

Because they may have some advanced weapons that are formidable, but they don’t have enough. There is a HUGE difference between achieving great jumps in military tech and actually fielding it. The USA does both.

The #1 threat that the US faces with Iran are SAM’s, and that’s about it. And even that threat is just a hurdle, not something that will defeat or stop the US air force.

It doesn’t take a genius to understand that LONG before one soldier set foot in Iran the countries air defenses would be pounded into the ground. I don’t care how many SAM's they have, a few thousand tomahawks wont be denied. Once things are thinned out a bit, or even before that, the B2 and “other” stealth planes will take out key locations as well. Don’t forget electronic warfare either, the US sports some amazing Wild Weasel aircraft that will play havoc with any air defense electronics.

I would estimate after 3-7 days US aircraft would only face mild and sporadic threats. After a couple of weeks the USA would own the skies with almost no threat to speak of. Once the sky is owned, ground forces mean nothing. It would be suicide to even poke their heads out the window, let alone mount a coordinated attack.

War with Iran would quickly devolve into an urban fight with the Iranians employing nothing but guerrilla tactics (which is effective). Any conventional or coordinated battle would end in defeat for the Iranians very swiftly.

I dont think the USA would invade or occupy Iran btw. But I could easily see an absolute air bombardment to destroy its ability to project military effort and to destroy their nuclear ability.

[edit on 29-8-2005 by skippytjc]

NR

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Thx for your comments guys, theres definatley way more, iran is also progressing on making their own SA-6. Also enslaved yes i'm iranian and thought it be good to share our thoughts.

NR

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 01:48 PM
link   
iran making their own tank-rounds.

NR

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Iran may have a bit of weak airforce now but now that saegeh-80 and Shafagh will come into production it will be pretty ok, right now the money is to be invested in missile tech and other military equipment.

Irans cruise missiles.

Irans better and improved versian of the silkworm missile.

NR

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Iranian made Arteliray tank.

Iran reveals details on self-propelled howitzer

By Christopher F. Foss, JDW Land Forces Editor, Kuala Lumpur

The Iranian Defence Industrial Organisation (DIO), Armour Industries Group, has finally released full details of the Raad-2 155mm/39-cal self-propelled gun-howitzer (SP/GH), which has been in quantity production and service for several years with the Iranian Army.

The Raad-2's main armament comprises a local version of the 155mm/39-cal M185 ordnance supplied by the Hadid facility of the DIO (designated HM44) fitted with a fume extractor and a muzzle brake with elevation limits from -3º to +75º.

The maximum range depends on the type of ammunition (projectile and charge) used. However, the Raad-2 can achieve a maximum range of 18,100m firing a standard M107 high-explosive (HE) projectile, and a maximum range of 24,000m firing a base-bleed HE projectile. The DIO quotes a maximum rate of fire of 4 rds/min with a total of 30 155mm projectiles and their associated charges being carried. According to the DIO, the barrel has a maximum life of 5,000 rds when firing charge 8.

Raad-2 looks similar to the United Defense LP 155mm M109A2 SP/GH - large numbers of which were supplied before the Iranian revolution.

The vehicle has a crew of five; the driver is positioned front left with the power pack located to the right and the fully enclosed 360º-traverse power-operated turret at the rear. The hull and turret are made of welded steel armour with a maximum thickness of 20mm.

- The Iranian Defence Industries Organisation (DIO) Armour Industries Group has revealed that its 122mm Raad-1 self-propelled gun (SPG) is now in quantity production alongside the larger Raad-2 155mm SPG.

NR

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 02:16 PM
link   
This one is probably good for shootin down helos, more comin up

NR

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 02:19 PM
link   
heres another powerfull SAM made by iran.

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I'm not much of a killing weapons expert, actually know more about fishing tackle, but would suggest Iran less it's nuclear capability now or later, could only be fed Russian technology that I would consider lethal to other mid-east nations.

Dallas

NR

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dallas

I'm not much of a killing weapons expert, actually know more about fishing tackle, but would suggest Iran less it's nuclear capability now or later, could only be fed Russian technology that I would consider lethal to other mid-east nations.

Dallas

Well the nuclear story i think we all know about and its not just russian tech, theres Chinese and north korean which is mostly on missile tech. I'll post way more later on but heres a cool and nice IRIAF F-4 video.

www.iranmilitaryforum.com...'s.WMV

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join