It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Superdome Roof Damaged

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 08:30 AM
link   
1/12th of dome roof gone.

link to WDSU N.O. LA minute by minute web blog.

8:08 a.m.: Superdome Roof Damaged
Part of the roof at the New Orleans Superdome is gone. A 3-by-5-foot chunk is missing, and people are being ushered off the field of the stadium

www.wdsu.com...

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 08:40 AM
link   
The funny thing about this is a little while ago my father was telling me about the people going there during this storm, i said, Now watch the top of the dome fall in

i was close =P

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by C0le
The funny thing about this is a little while ago my father was telling me about the people going there during this storm, i said, Now watch the top of the dome fall in

i was close =P

I'm still waiting for the punchline.....

Hopefully these people will find safety in the mezzanine area...My primary concern is projectiles....When the roof finally goes, the #'s really gonna hit the fan...

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Reports on Radio in St. Louis KMOX and KTRS ABC states that daylight can be seen from inside dme and a flapping sound is heard from inside dome. NG moving people from dome floor to seats, a light rain mist has enveloped inside dome. Possible move of 10,000 people to come

From CNN 8:40am CST

Worst of storm still to come for Mississippi

"I can see daylight straight up from inside the Superdome," Reams reported.

National Guard troops moved people to the other side of the dome. Others were moving beneath the concrete-reinforced terrace level.

www.cnn.com...

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 08:53 AM
link   
This reminds of last year when everyone was told to go to Orlando and the hurricane hit there....I hope these people will be OK.

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Here's a picture from inside...

MSNBC: Superdome loses power and pieces of roof

Once again we see the media's expert abilities at blowing things completely out of proportion....

[edit on 8/29/2005 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I don’t think a 3x5 foot piece counts as the whole roof being blown off people.
But the thing is scientists and engineers think that the Super Dome can withstand Katrina but no scientific tests have been done to prove that the Super Dome can withstand a category 4 or 5.

[edit on 29-8-2005 by WestPoint23]

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I heard that Katrina would have been classified at a higher category than 5 if there was one.

The Superdome was designed to withstand a hurricane. Think about it; hurricanes rip through the golf coast quite often, and a stadium is a huge investment. The people putting the money into its development didn't want it to collapse as soon as the first hurricane came through.

The Superdome is people who can't get out of there's best bet. It's high enough to where, when all the flooding strikes, it will be above it (it's 25 feet above sea level while most of New Orleans is 12 feet below), and, again, was designed to withstand a hurricane.

This hurricane, though, is truly nasty. A 30 mile eye?! That's huge! They have said they would classify it a category 6 if such a classification existed. It's remarkable how well they made the Superdome to have been able to withstand the hurricane even this much.

There is, of course, danger in people staying there, and if something terrible happens to the Superdome, it will be an awful tragedy because so many people are in there. It's their best bet, though. It's their greatest hope. If something terrible happens, it won't be the fault of the authorities that said to gather there. They made an assessment of where people who had to weather the storm would have the greatest chance of survival, and the Superdome was number one. If we blame anyone for a terrible tragedy that may take place, it should be Katrina, not the people trying to save those who couldn’t get out of the city.

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 10:37 AM
link   

This hurricane, though, is truly nasty. A 30 mile eye?! That's huge! They have said they would classify it a category 6 if such a classification existed. It's remarkable how well they made the Superdome to have been able to withstand the hurricane even this much.

A Cat 5 hurricane has sustainable winds of 155 mph Katrina had sustained winds of 175-180 mph, that’s tornado region. Anyway the storm was about 250 miles wide.

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 10:42 AM
link   
the inside seems fine, for now lets hope.
that is kind of crazy how it's destroying the top shell of it, hope it doesn't get worse.
this storm is truly incredible.

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 11:12 AM
link   
According to the "live" report (audio + a few stills from a camera phone) I've seen/heard from the Superdome, the reporter is stating the actual size of the [openings] to be in the 3' X 9' range (multiple).

Though a very good media focal point/crisis [OMG] I don't fear more for those within the facility. Even if the roof were to completely blow off, these 9,000+ folks could easily seek shelter in the tunnels/causeways/concessions areas within the Superdome facility.

Yes . . . wet, tired, frustrated, etc., but still alive and safe from harm's way . . a sad scene to say the least.

My heart goes out to all who are in the path of ole' Mother Earth's latest spin.

I don't have any direct connections to the area (i.e. friends, relatives, etc.), but . . . DAMN I feel for
you folks in the way of Katrina?!

We'll see the remnants here by midweek (Wednesday/Thursday) with wind and heavy rains according to current projections.

For the most part, I'm glad that she had more or less downsized and changed direction just prior to making landfall, rather than earlier projections of basically taking on more fuel [warmest waters] and increasing in power just before coming on shore. Going to bed last night with a heavy heart and waking this a.m. to at least a somewhat less destructive possibility initially and overall.

Unfortunately, as per my prior post, due to the overall "flat" region of entry Katrina will still pack hurricane strength winds, heavy rainfall, and spawn tornadic activity well into Kentucky, Tennessee, etc.

[edit on 29-8-2005 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23

A Cat 5 hurricane has sustainable winds of 155 mph Katrina had sustained winds of 175-180 mph, that’s tornado region. Anyway the storm was about 250 miles wide.

That up in the F3 tornado rage. There is only 6 F rateing in that scale.

The Fujita Scale

Hope that helps. As the path looks right now, it looks like i'm gonna feel this up In MI later this week as well

Zintac

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Hope that helps. As the path looks right now, it looks like i'm gonna feel this up In MI later this week as well

When the barrels that stopped flowing from the Gulf because of Katrina don’t get to the fuel station then we will feel the affect.

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23

When the barrels that stopped flowing from the Gulf because of Katrina don’t get to the fuel station then we will feel the affect.

Very true, Seeing that most of all the major oil imports come in through ports in the gulf. where on day 3 of no shipping into the ports. I hope gas doesn't hit $4.00 a gallon, but from the way it looks it might happen.

Zintac

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 12:51 PM
link   
We are at about $2.52+/gal. currently.

I anticipate $3.00+ witihin the next two weeks or so.

I realize there are those paying much more at the pump elsewhere in the states, but at what point do people simply stop/change/alter/review their spending habits and more or less just sit tight?

Greenspan is leaving the Fedral Reserve with a message that the current housing bubble is due to burst, people are limiting their [recreational] purchases (due to the ever-rising cost of fuel, etc. and are sitting tight per se) , and now the coming aftermath of Katrina could very well put the US economy into dire straits.

Beyond the physical damge (Our prayers are with you folks) consider the economic impact/repercussions/etc.

This storm has the potential to spark a tremendous reversal/downward spiral in the U.S. economy . . . or at least be a factor in the overall economic picture. Insurance Co's/ Banks/etc. to the excess of 25-30B $ . . . till all is said and done. Unfortunately!

If the current market trend in housing were to come to a screeching halt . . . the proverbial bottom of the market would pretty well drop out . . . wreaking literal havoc on the U.S. economy.

Any/All thoughts or opinions are welcome!

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I think the feds will tap the Petroleum Fuel Reserves for a limited time like they did back when Ivan hit the coast.

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 01:01 PM
link   
You paint a very dim picture 12m8keall2c....And unfortunately, I don't see things much differently...

Even with the reserves being tapped, that's more like a short-term solution to a long-term problem that could get worse by the day, literally, as hurricane season is not close to being over - How many Katrina's will Mother Nature pull out of her pocket?

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 01:15 PM
link   

hurricane season is not close to being over - How many Katrina's will Mother Nature pull out of her pocket?

There have only been 3 category 5 hurricanes to hit the US Mainland in 70 years, so unless this year is really special this is it.

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Very true...

Still, I don't think it will take the power of another Cat 5 to throw off the cogs...

top topics

join