It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Egyptian presidential candidate: 'World must convert to Islam'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Did I mention he also claims to be a direct decendant of Muhammad himself?

It appears he has a slim chance of winning the election, but the bottom line is there are people out there like this man is positions to run for high offices. Its only a matter of time before a future or current leader shares the same opinions. Iran is a perfect example of this.

Story here

"Cairo - Osama Shaltut claims to descend from the Prophet Mohammed and the centrepiece of his campaign for the Egyptian presidency is a promise to convert the entire world to Islam.

The 66-year-old leader of the Solidarity Party, who wears a broad smile and a neatly-trimmed beard, does not like wasting time.

"Why wait?" he asks. "The whole world should convert to Islam. Now."

Shaltut, the only Islamist candidate in Egypt's September 7 presidential election, nevertheless knows he will have to wait before he can unseat President Hosni Mubarak, who is widely expected to be re-elected....

His programme, he says, is threefold.

"First, let's gather the leaders of all religions. Then, let's apply their principles and assess the results... Finally, let's proclaim the victory of Islam."

But Shaltut admits such a process "would take around 10 years", so he advocates a universal conversion to Islam to speed things up and "for the good of humanity..."

[edit on 29-8-2005 by skippytjc]

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Mmmmmm... didn't Pat Robertson run for office once?
I mean, it's ok for A Christian Right Wing nutjob to call for the murder of foreign leaders isn't it? As long as he's a good ol' white guy.
I read another article where he called for the stoning of UFO enthusiasts, absolutely priceless

I guess every country has it's delusional nutcases with aspirations to power and domination

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 08:26 AM
link   

the bottom line is there are people out there like this man is positions to run for high offices. Its only a matter of time before a furture or current leader shares the same opinions. Iran is a perfect example of this

Forgive me, but after reading the complete story, this individual does not come across as a fundamentalist or a jihadist. Clearly he extolls the virtues and what he believes are the advantages of Islam, but as the only Muslim candidate and the rank underdog, he is probably using this as a means to garner what votes he can, as he is his ancestry with the Prophet Mohammed. Declaring that the world should convert to Islam in the manner in which he did is analgous to me stating that the world should convert to democracy because it is clearly a better system and would offer people a better way of life. Nowhere does he advocate violence or forced conversions at all. Instead, he talks about comparing religions and gathering religious leaders together for discussion.

Additionally, he does not seem to advocate violence or the forced conversion of those from other religions. From what I read, he merely seems to be professing his belief that, in his opinion, Islam is a better religion than others. In the full story, when asked about the 9/11 attacks, he describes Usama bin Laden as "a stinking dog" and Saddam Hussein as "a psychopath".

The story also points out that he opposes laws that require women to wear both the hajib head-scarf and the full-length niqab. It even states that some of the women in his campaign headquarters were veiled while some were not. This doesn't sound like a radical fundamentalist. Why should we worry if he wins power, as unlikely as that is?

He even appears to be somewhat more relaxed in his views towards Israel, stating that "When we were young, we wanted to drive the Israelis into the sea, now all this is over". He even declares that displaced Palestinians should enjoy the lives they have in other nations, rather than returning to Palestine. For a former soldier in the Yom Kippur war against Israel, his views seem quite liberal.

Osama Shaltut is unlikely to win power, but if he were, I doubt he would pose a significant problem. He hardly seems like a fundamentalist. Indeed, his views seem to be exactly the kind that would make him the target of fundamentalists. So what is the problem, exactly?

[edit on 29/8/05 by Jeremiah25]

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Skippy ATS continues amaze us every day doesn’t it? Look at the responses, one is rambling about something unrelated to this story and another one says yeah its ok as long as there is not violence. Simply amasing

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 09:18 AM
link   

another one says yeah its ok as long as there is not violence. Simply amasing

Look mate, if you want to comment on something I have said, at least have the decency to speak to me about it, okay? Don't belittle what I have said behind my back.

Please explain to me how what this candidate said is so wrong? He isn't advocating the violent overthrow of other religions, he isn't advocating forced conversions, he isn't advocating fundamentalist law, he isn't advocating Usama bin Laden or terrorism.

He thinks the world should convert to Islam because, for him personally, Islam offers a better solution to certain issues than other religions. Nowhere does he mention violence. So how is it not okay?

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I am sorry, but this is just too funny.
Does an Egyption religious leader, or even president think he can "force " the world to convert.
Imo someone has not ben taking their medicine.
What if the rest of the world does not want to convert?

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Does an Egyption religious leader, or even president think he can "force " the world to convert.

I think he has been taken out of context. From my reading of the full story skippy posted, he is saying that, when you compare the principles and results of Islam against other religions, then Islam comes out a clear winner. Based on that, people should convert willingly because they would be better served through Islam.

Now, I don't agree with that statement, but nowhere did I see him refer to forcing anyone to convert. As I said before, when you read the full story, he seems quite liberal, especially when compared to true fundamentalists.

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Flogging a dead horse on this issue Jeremiah25. To some on here, the mere fact that he's Islamic means he is a threat to their "freedoms" and world peace.
A bit like the old "Reds under the bed" paranoia but funnier to watch

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Jeremiah First of all how am I speaking behind your back I’m posting on the thread.

He thinks the world should convert to Islam because, for him personally, Islam offers a better solution to certain issues than other religions. Nowhere does he mention violence. So how is it not okay?

Are you serious? Anyone who thinks their religion is best and should rule all is not right in the dome.

I'm an Atheist so I have a problem with this guy talking about everyone should convert to Islam because it’s the best in his mind. In my mind he can go keep taking his medications.

[edit on 29-8-2005 by WestPoint23]

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Well, as I said, I think that the reference to religion was an attempt on his part to garner more votes for himself. His claim to be a direct descendant of Mohammed is, in my opinion, clearly an attempt to draw attention to himself, as is his statement on everybody converting to Islam. I also don't think that he meant that Islam should "rule all" but that people should convert to it willingly. The difference, for me at least, is that his statements do not imply violence but merely seek to promote the virtues of Islam, which I feel is fine.

As an atheist, I can understand why you would be offended or annoyed at what this guy has said. My point, I guess, is that politicians in secular Western countries do the same thing to far less fanfare. I suppose I should also take into account the fact that religion pervades politics in the Middle East far more than it does in my country.

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I posted this here because it was not war or terrorist related...directly not related that is. I never mentioned Jihad or fundamentalism.

There are people who follow Osama Shaltut however that may act in extreme ways that may lead to violence or terrorism.

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 09:51 AM
link   
........and no doubt if Bush was to simply pass a comment sometime that he thought a 'Christian' world would be best and that he'd love to see that happen sometime skippy et al would fall down dead over the shock and outrage of it too?

(and post about it every breath, 'concerned' that such outrageous sentiments might provoke some to violence?)

Yeah right.

[edit on 29-8-2005 by sminkeypinkey]

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 09:58 AM
link   

I posted this here because it was not war or terrorist related...directly not related that is. I never mentioned Jihad or fundamentalism.

I never said that you did. But surely you can understand how somebody might look at the post and link an Islamic political figure and statements about the world converting to Islam with Jihad and fundamentalism. People are prone to jump to conclusions in this day and age, without first taking into account the whole picture. If those people were to read only the excerpt you posted and not the full story, they may very well assume this guy to be a Jihadist or fundamentalist, rather than a fairly sad low-spectrum politician. My post was directed at countering such assumptions.

I have read many of your posts, skippy, and whilst I do not always agree with you, I have enormous respect for the fact that you stand by your views and that your posts are well researched and not merely baseless opinion disguised as news.

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 10:00 AM
link   

and no doubt if Bush was to simply pass a comment sometime that he thought a 'Christian' world would be best and that he'd love to see that happen sometime skippy et al would fall down dead over the shock and outrage of it too?

I can’t speak for Skippy but I would be upset and angry if he said that, as I have said before I am an Atheist and anyone who tries to push their religion or beliefs on others is wrong. I don’t care what religion Bush or anyone else is as long as they don’t push it on me.

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 11:08 AM
link   
WP: aren't the recent elements of creationism being taught in school's the religous pushing something on you? Or do you mean you personally? They are allowed to bully other American's, as long as it isn't "you"?

I have never understood how frightened and timid people really are, the sad thing it generally comes from those that praise the use of force the most frequent.

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Westpoint23 and Jeremiah25:

Time to knock off the bickering, okay?

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 11:14 AM
link   
All evangelism looks insane and intimidating from the outside.

Despite the ironic lack of recognition by some, I'm glad this "perspective" has been brought to those that sorely need it.

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Britguy
I guess every country has it's delusional nutcases with aspirations to power and domination

Apparently....

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Unless I missed something, there's a huge difference in the title and quote.

'World must convert to Islam' and "The whole world should convert to Islam. Now." are as different as night and day.

Say the same difference between "You're either with us or against us" or 'Everyone should accept Jesus as their personal savior.'

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 11:20 AM
link   
The quotation marks in the thread title and the article title are certainly misleading as the man never says, "World must convert to Islam", and I suspect they are for sensationalistic purposes only.

I don't see anything particularly strange or exciting about this man or his statement. Many people think their religion is the best (or else they'd convert, no?) and if they were honest would admit that they would love the whole world to be the same religion. In fact, Christianity seems to me to be a religion whose followers' aim is to spread it around the world, what with the witnessing and the missionaries and all.

I don't like anyone pushing their religion on me, either, but it does happen and right now, the president of the US does it all the time in his policies like teaching ID in schools, outlawing gay marriage and working to impose religious ideals through law. It's the same thing, it's just that Bush IS in power and he's more devious about it. At least Shaltut's coming right out front with his agenda. He's honest you might say, something Bush knows little about. There's nothing wrong with wanting something and saying that right out.

And Pat Robertson... well, we don't need to go there. But at least Shaltut's not calling for anyone's head.

As far as claiming to descend from the Prophet Mohammed, I don't find that too extrordinary either, seeing as how Islam is an Abrahamic religion, it would be no stranger than someone claiming to descend from David, Joseph or Isaac. I mean, according to the Abrahamic religions, all men descend from Noah or Adam, anyway, right? Even Abraham. According to religion, we all had to get here somehow, right, if we didn't evolve, that is...

When asked about events such as the September 11 attacks or the US invasion of Iraq, he brands Osama bin Laden a "stinking dog"
"When we were young, we wanted to drive the Israelis into the sea, now all this is over," he says.

Sounds like a reasonable guy to me.
And like Skippy said, he's not going to win, anyway. There are some real nutballs in high offices in our very own country and no one's getting their panties in too much of a knot over them.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join