It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will terrorists take advantage of the hurricane?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Sure, hurricanes come through the U.S. every year, but storms as powerful as Hurricane Katrina -- a category 5 -- and bearing down on a major city -- New Orleans, Louisiana -- is a rare combination. The damage to New Orleans alone will be catastrophic, and all the inland damage Katrina will likely cause could leave the U.S. with over $1 trillion in damages, and 1 million+ people homeless.

To use the old street fighting expression, will terrorists kick the U.S. while it's down? With all its attention focused on the hurricane and its aftermath, that would be an ideal time to strike. I'm hoping they won't (obviously!), but do you think it's a possibility?
After all, the best time to attack someone is when they're off-balance and undermanned...

jhh

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Doubtful, plus it is looking more likely that this storm will miss New orleans and head more east. But it will be dumping wuite a bit of rain.

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Heh, I was thinking that too. With only emergency personnel in N.O., they may be able to slip in and cause structural damage more easily. Luckily though, not many people would be hurt.

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Only FEMA.

They'll use this hurricane as a Martial Law exercise.
Wait to see some very co-ordinated and well planned Martial Law tatics used in the aftermath of this Hurricane.

They'll promote it as being such a good thing that Martial Law won't seem so scary when the next 'terrorist' attack occurs, the Martial Law executive order will be so much easier to sign through because there will be a postive precedence.

Granted, the clean-up and effort for this Hurricane will warrent FEMAs presence and possibly even a Military presence, but business is all in the sale - watch how they sell the idea of "a good Martial Law" in dealing with disaster.

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Will terrorists take advantage of the hurricane?

Havent you learned ANYTHING yet about ATS?

The CIA CREATED the storm, just like the tsunami's and earth quakes. They have been doing this ever since Osama has been the director of the agency.

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 07:39 AM
link   
It's possible that terrorists would take advantage of New Orlean's misfortune, but what purpose would it serve them?

New Orleans isnt a major economic centre as New York, or Tokyo or London or even Sydney is .

I would think that Katrina would do more than enough damage without a terrorist having to lift a finger. If there are terrorists in NO at the moment , they're in the same amount of trouble as everyone else there.

Looters on the other hand, after the storm has passed , would be having a field day.

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Seeing that the CIA created the storm to yet drive the price of oil up more, and seeing that Bush himself signed off on it, and seeing that HAARP is deeply involved in ensuring the hurricane destroys Louisiana-
Yes, i think this all smells and that terrorists are also involved.

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by mulberryblueshimmer
New Orleans isnt a major economic centre as New York, or Tokyo or London or even Sydney is .

You mean AS MAJOR. It is still a major economic center, especially its port.

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jamuhn
Heh, I was thinking that too. With only emergency personnel in N.O., they may be able to slip in and cause structural damage more easily. Luckily though, not many people would be hurt.

The storm seems to be doing pretty well on it's own.
Superdome Roof Damaged (from ATS) ... not to mention the ecomonic damage from the outage on the oil production facilities in the Gulf.

... but it's a fair point, there's going to be a lot of coming and going around over the next few weeks - are you going to know who's where, and what they are doing exactly ?

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 02:37 PM
link   
It would be a good time to place a nuke in NO thou while it’s evacuated hide it well and wait till the city is full again and BOOM. I’m sure Bush and his cronies have already done it. Since they have been practicing a nuke going of in a coastal city NO would be perfect.

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 05:44 PM
link   
They dont need a hurricane to bring in a nuke! They dont wield in a bomb-shaped device with the words NUKE on it on a cart!! They could hide it inside a Coke machine, a cigarette machine, or a truck. The is no need for a hurricane to smuggle one in.

And to those who say CIA created the storm: Are you NUTS? It's impossible! You been watching movies like The Core and Storm and believing them.

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mudja
...And to those who say CIA created the storm: Are you NUTS? It's impossible! You been watching movies like The Core and Storm and believing them.

You mean those were FAKED? Good golly Molly! Does everyone know this?

(that's sarcasm kiddies...sarcasm)

The only Martial Law that will be implimented, will be lethal action against looters, and legal trouble for price gougers.

Same as it has been for most other recorded Hurricanes in the USA.

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by mulberryblueshimmer
It's possible that terrorists would take advantage of New Orleans' misfortune, but what purpose would it serve them? New Orleans isnt a major economic centre as New York, or Tokyo or London or even Sydney is.

I would think that Katrina would do more than enough damage without a terrorist having to lift a finger. If there are terrorists in NO at the moment , they're in the same amount of trouble as everyone else there.

You misunderstand -- I didn't mean that terrorists would do anything in New Orleans (like everyone else, any there got out before the hurricane came in) -- I meant that terrorists could strike somewhere else in the U.S. (like Houston, or Los Angeles, or Chicago, as a few examples) while the federal & state governments' attention is focused on New Orleans. Imagine the impact on the U.S. public if a terrorist attack of the magnitute of Sept. 11, 2001 had happened the day after a major hurricane like this one had hit the U.S.?

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheShroudOfMemphis

Only FEMA.

They'll use this hurricane as a Martial Law exercise.
Wait to see some very co-ordinated and well planned Martial Law tatics used in the aftermath of this Hurricane.

OK, i'm just going to toot my own horn here for a minute:

Martial Law Declared in New Orleans
Tue August, 30 2005 @ 03:41 GMT
www.atsnn.com...

It begins. Like i said, it may start off as a worthy cause but it WILL be used as a greater test for future use, if an 'attack' occurs that puts another state into a Martial Law situation and shrouds the country in a 'threat' scenario, you may even see Martial Law extended across the board.

Keep a close eye on the Martial Law, see if you notice anything strange, excessive, seemingly pointless for the cause at hand etc etc. This is their greatest live training exercise possible, they have a legit reason to test their abilities and they will.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 10:16 AM
link   
IWho is gaining by this hurricane? The oil companies?

I wonder if those damns had help breaking.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Actually I was wondering also this morning about terrorist attacks targeting our nation in such a trouble time.

But if you look back when tragedy strikes people tend to kind of stop things including terrorist.

I don't think it will be any attacks right now.

As for the mess in the south they sure need homeland security to stop the littler groups of terrorist that are forming around the city and they are not radical muslins either.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I guess there must be terrorists waiting all over the place for a time to make there kill: The great Osama lurking behind my dustbins or behind the lampshade ready to pounce at any time.
So if your walking down the street and you fall over of course a suicide bomber is more likely to come up to you because you have less time to get away. Anyone watching wildlife programmes would know that- cos it’s the way of evolution.
So yes because the whole country is down I guess it really would make sense for the sleeper cells to come out of hibernation. Trouble is if there are any terrorists in the United States they must be on medication. What have they been waiting for? Maybe its Bush's birthday; maybe it’s for when they lower the terror alert threat to "green". But with what's been happening in Iraq recently I think the United States must be temporarily out of terrorists. Anyway why stay here when all the action is over there? (Although from a public relations points of view I guess it would make sense to stay put). Maybe the terrorist in the United States have a faulty TV so have had no idea of what’s been going on. We’re screwed if they get insurance!!!
Just tell me one thing. If this flood does pass of and there are no terrorist attacks will you be so bold as to agree with me that there were no terrorists at the time of writing? It’s a gamble right. What do you think the chances are? 3 to 1?
If I were a terrorist I would just let god and global warming do the work for me.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 11:41 AM
link   
No if anything this shows that no matter what the terrorists think, like even taking out an entire city (if they even could) would not result in bringing the US to its knees. The terrorists do not posses the capabilities to displace over 2 million people and cause as much wide spread damage and destruction as the hurricane. But where is our Country, did the rest of Country die along with New Orleans... NO. So then what could the terrorists really do that could compare in magnitude, blow up A building, shoot a few hundred people.... The could not pull off destroying an entire city... maybe they could blow up a ship and kill if they are lucky 300 or 400 people does that even compare..... The US maybe would flinch and then all hell would break loose. If they thought they had it bad in Afghanistan or Iraq, just wait if the terrorists decided to attack us during this tragedy in NO. IT would be all bets off, there would be such a massive crack down on extermizim that no terrorist would be safe anywhere in the world. More then likely we would blow apart Iran and then Syria and then we probably would pull the troops from Iraq and send them all into the Afgahni / Pakistan border where every militant tribal community would be rounded up and "trashed" until we got Osama and then we would go on a rampage throughout the middle east and capture and destroy anyone linked to his network.

No the terrorists have nothing to gain now by trying to attack one of our cities. Since they would have to top the devastation and destruction of Katrina to even make a blip of effect on this Country. For them to attack us now would only result in the strengthing of the US military resolve to find and destroy them where ever they are.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I like your original thinking Robertfenix.
But to be fair to people like Osama I guess they could use a biological weapons attack and that would cause more damage to the storm.
But surely the real point about the storm and terrorism is that something like the London attacks gets about the same amount of coverage. So terrorism has nothing to with damage and everything with media coverage. 50 people died in those London attacks, the U.K loses over 600 thousand lives every year to natural causes.

Personally I fear terrorism not because of the terrorist but because of the way the government reacts to terrorism (civil liberties ect). I fear it because it means on the news it will be virtually impossible to know what else in the world is going on for the next few days at least.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by robertfenix
No if anything this shows that no matter what the terrorists think, like even taking out an entire city (if they even could) would not result in bringing the US to its knees. The terrorists do not posses the capabilities to displace over 2 million people and cause as much wide spread damage and destruction as the hurricane. But where is our Country, did the rest of Country die along with New Orleans... NO. So then what could the terrorists really do that could compare in magnitude, blow up A building, shoot a few hundred people....

I think this event should show a lot of people exactly how much FEAR promoted by the government is responsable for the threat of terrorism.

When you look at what nature can do and compare it with Terrorism, really apart from the 'fear' of an attack, Terrorism is not much of a blow.

The government will use this as Martial Law 101, it's already started to show it's colours by the fact that they are focusing on 'crime' rather than aid. Let the people die because we gotta save the playstations!!

If this government is smart, they'll 'allow' another attack in another state, or smaller multiple attacks across states which forces Martial Law across the board under the basis of an economical crisis, stretched FEMA resources and a code red threat.

The coup is completed, you now have Martial Law and an excuse. Bush can deliver a big speach in which it's obvious he's practised all the big words before hand and emotional chords can be played. Martial Law will be justified because of what nature did, revenging war will be justified because of what the 'terrorists' did when America was 'on it's knees'.

The speach will go something along the lines of 'we will stand tall', 'we won't give in', 'we won't be intimidated', 'insert 911 reference here' etc. etc.

[edit on 1-9-2005 by TheShroudOfMemphis]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join