It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fundamentalist Christian here

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Know what a fundamentalist really is?

Merely someone who believes the Bible and uses it as their guide. Not to be confused with extremists, who go around blowing stuff up and claiming that God told them to do it.

I read only the Authorized King James Bible. I don't believe in a pre-Tribulation rapture (Matthew 24). I believe we Christians are here for the long haul--but God can protect us!

I am also a geocentrist--the Earth is the center of the universe (Joshua 10). God created the earth before He created the sun--so if the earth is supposed to go around the sun, what was it going around the first three days? No, I do not believe the earth is flat. Not all geocentrists are flat-earthers. If you want more information visit geocentricity.com.

I know I seem to be very eccentric. We Christians are like that. As the Bible says, "Prove all things, hold fast that which is good." You find truth, hang on to it, come what will.

Trust me, though, I'm not insane.

Tell you what, I don't give this world even 20 years before Christ returns....
The way things are going....

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 12:48 AM
link   
I think you're quite sound in making that statement! I believe we are even already into the final week of years--last year being a sabbath year, and then one again in 7 years. Then the everlasting time of Jubilee will begin!

BTW--nice to 'meet ya'!

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amethyst
Know what a fundamentalist really is?

Merely someone who believes the Bible and uses it as their guide. Not to be confused with extremists, who go around blowing stuff up and claiming that God told them to do it.

I read only the Authorized King James Bible. I don't believe in a pre-Tribulation rapture (Matthew 24). I believe we Christians are here for the long haul--but God can protect us!

I am also a geocentrist--the Earth is the center of the universe (Joshua 10). God created the earth before He created the sun--so if the earth is supposed to go around the sun, what was it going around the first three days? No, I do not believe the earth is flat. Not all geocentrists are flat-earthers. If you want more information visit geocentricity.com.

I know I seem to be very eccentric. We Christians are like that. As the Bible says, "Prove all things, hold fast that which is good." You find truth, hang on to it, come what will.

Tell you what, I don't give this world even 20 years before Christ returns....
The way things are going....

From wikipedia

In many ways religious fundamentalism is a modern phenomenon, characterized by a sense of embattled alienation in the midst of the surrounding culture, even where the culture may be nominally influenced by the adherents' religion. The term can also refer specifically to the belief that one's religious texts are infallible and historically accurate, despite contradiction of these claims by modern scholarship.

A Fundamentalist is someone who believes the bible is infallible, and believes in the birth, resurrection, and ascension of Christ, and someone who beliefs all non-Christians go straight to hell. That comes from Encarta.

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I was just reading about the 'lukewarm christian' and how these lukewarm christian's see 'boiling hot for jesus christians' as insane..

I see you are a true believer of christ, thats great!

This is a very good read on the luke warm christian and Jesus Christ's words about them... It drives fear but also comfort. This is what I was reading before I fell upon your post..
The tragedy of a lukewarm faith

I didn't know about the theory of earth being center of the universe, I will check that link out, thanks.

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 11:58 AM
link   

A Fundamentalist is someone who believes the bible is infallible, and believes in the birth, resurrection, and ascension of Christ, and someone who beliefs all non-Christians go straight to hell. That comes from Encarta.

Very interesting.

Just for the record, I believe:

• the Holy Spirit is infallible as instructor of scripture
  • in the birth, resurrection, and ascencion of Christ
  • the bible isn't about christians or jews, but about the Christ, the God of Israel, and Israel.

As far as hell goes---that is a can of worms opened elsewhere on this forum

In fact, I started a thread in BTS today about 'preaching hell' in place of the gospel:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I'm wondering how others fit into Encarta's definition?

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 12:01 PM
link   

oops unintentional

(double post)

[edit on 8/29/2005 by queenannie38]

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueLies
I was just reading about the 'lukewarm christian' and how these lukewarm christian's see 'boiling hot for jesus christians' as insane..

From the pen of Paul:

So if we were crazy, it was for God; if we are sane, it is for you.
2 Corinthians 5:13 ISV

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Amethyst, I’m also a fundamentalist. I attend an Independent Baptist Church and I only read the King James Bible as well. I lean towards a pre-tribulation rapture but I’m more than ready to be wrong on that and lose my head for the cause! I’ve studied several different end time views on the rapture concept and probably held all the views at one time or another. What’s important to know is that God is perfect in his justice and I can trust in him.

The term fundamentalist has received a bad name as of late that it does not rightly deserve. The general belief is that a fundamentalist carries the following traits: low intelligence, ignorant, barefooted, swamp-running toothless fool who lacks for a formal education and dances with serpents when he is not out blowing up an abortion clinic. And yes, he only reads from the Authorized King James Bible.

This stereotypical fundamentalist is also incapable of speaking to someone without yelling at the top of his lungs. While he yells a White foam can be seen surrounding the rim of his mouth and he spits a lot. He walks around hunched over and carries a maniac stare that would make Charles Manson look away in fear.

For the record, a fundamentalist simply believes that the Holy Bible he holds is the Living Word of God. That it is to be read, believed and shared with everyone. We hold to the core orthodoxy of the faith which covers several basic doctrines. I’ll type out a quick abridged version below. It’s by no means complete but will give the reader a basic understanding of our faith.

A. The inspiration and preservation of the Holy Scriptures.
B. Belief in a Triune God eternally existing in three persons, Father, Son & Holy Ghost. Each Co-eternal, co-identical in nature, co-equal in power and glory.
C. Jesus Christ is God the Son and became man without ceasing to be God. He was born of a virgin and maintained a sinless life filled with miracles and good works.
D. Our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ redeemed us on the cross through his death. He was risen from the dead in a glorified body and later taken up to Heaven.
E. Man was made perfect but sinned against God and this sinful nature is passed down to all of mankind.
F. Man is totally depraved and is totally incapable of correcting his lost condition before God.
G. Man is saved through faith in our Lord Jesus Christ. This occurs immediately at the point of being born again and is not a process. Once saved their life will begin to show evidence of their salvation.
H. All saved are forever saved and kept secure in God’s power.
I. We believe that the Church of God is not a denomination but encompasses every true believer in the world.
J. We believe in full immersion water baptism as an outward profession of an inward decision but not necessary for salvation.
K. We believe that all Christians should separate themselves from false teachings and sinful practices.
L. We believe in the return of Jesus Christ to rapture his church and set up his kingdom on earth which will last one thousand years.
M. All of mankind will be resurrected, the saved to eternal life with God and the unsaved to eternal punishment and separation from God.
N. Satan was an Angel who fell and now is the open and declared enemy of God. He is real and his power is great but he is limited in what he can do by God’s greater power.
O. We deny the ignorance and bad science of macro evolutionary belief. Man did not descend from soup but was made at one creation point by the hand of God.

This is a short abridged list of some of our fundamentalist beliefs.

Machine

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amethyst
I read only the Authorized King James Bible.
I am also a geocentrist--the Earth is the center of the universe (Joshua 10). God created the earth before He created the sun--so if the earth is supposed to go around the sun, what was it going around the first three days?
Tell you what, I don't give this world even 20 years before Christ returns

I don't trust you. All indications are that you are in fact insane. If it makes you feel any better though, it's a common affliction.

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Count me as insane as well. Don't lose any sleep over us spamandham, in time you'll be rid of us and be free from our insane concepts.

In Christ,
Machine

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 07:35 PM
link   
hmmmmm.....question for the fundies. Hope it is OK to ask here.
"I only read the King James Bible". Why?
How can you know it is more or less correct than any other version? Why should the writers of the KJV have "had the Holy Spirit" and writers of the other versions not have?

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Machine
All saved are forever saved and kept secure in God’s power.

Once Saved Always Saved (OSAS) eh? I have run into a few folks
who think this. It was frightening. They came knocking on the doors
in the 'hood .... telling folks that unless they went to their church
(Madison Baptist Church, Madison Alabama) they were going to Hell.
Then they proceeded to tell us that they were 'saved' and that they
were garunteed going to heaven 'no matter what they did'. I asked
if that ment that the could murder me at that moment and still get
to heaven even if they didn't regret it and ask for forgiveness for
murder? They said 'YES'. I closed the door tight and double locked it.

OSAS ... FRIGHTENING!!

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 08:32 PM
link   
This may shock many of y'all, but...I'm...a...fundamentalist...CHRISTIAN!

Good to see ya posting stuff like this Amythist

Found this interesting in Wikipedia's definition:

The term can also refer specifically to the belief that one's religious texts are infallible and historically accurate, despite contradiction of these claims by modern scholarship.

I hear that a lot, but that's all I hear.

"contradiction of these claims by modern scholarship"
"Archaeology has proven the Bible false"
"Science has proven the Bible false"

Very easy claims to make, very difficult to back.

A Fundamentalist is someone who believes the bible is infallible, and believes in the birth, resurrection, and ascension of Christ, and someone who beliefs all non-Christians go straight to hell.

Woot, that's me!
Except I don't think they go straight to Hell...Unless you consider the Earth Hell. They first get to enjoy or loath their life here before going, and are presented with chance after chance to come to know the Truth, come to know Christ. After all, like the definition says, I believe the Bible is infalable, which also means I don't think what Jesus said was changed, nor do I think He lied. 's not in His character.

Finally, in reference to the King James Version, I have to disagree. Whenever you translate a book from one language to another, you encounter words that don't have counterparts in the language you're translating it to. In these situations, the people translating choose the word to be most descriptive of the intention there. Yet, with all the translations of Bibles out there, there may be some words that express the original message better than others. That isn't to say the other translations are wrong, they just don't convey the intention of the word as clearly. This is why I'm going to be learning Greek some time next semester (or possibly the one after) and Hebrew some time after that. The JJ is very much looking forward to that

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Flyersfan,

Did the Christians at your door kill you? Did they make an attempt to kill you? Were you truly in fear that they would kill you? I ask these questions because you obviously do not have a true understanding of what it means to be secure in your salvation. I’m not going to go into all of it in this post but I will tell you that the Holy Bible clearly teaches that holding to the comfort of your eternal salvation is not a license to sin or in your case commit murder.

The doctrine of eternal salvation was taught by the greatest preachers that have ever walked the earth. Men like Jonathan Edwards a fire breathing soul saver who used God’s Word to snatch men from the fires of hell. Let us not also forget the millions of Christians who died at the hands of Roman Catholicism for professing this faith.

Men and women have been proclaiming the finished work of Jesus Christ from the very beginning. It’s sad that false teachings continue to attempt to undermine the faith and security of the saved even today. I feel sorry for you Flyersfan, you live each day knowing that you are bound for hell and try desperately to be perfect to avoid it. I’ve chosen to place my faith in the shed blood of Jesus Christ. You have chosen to place it on your own ability to perfectly keep the law.

You are doomed.

In His blood,
Machine

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Were you truly in fear that they would kill you?

Yes. They were crazy.

you obviously do not have a true understanding ...

wrong.

the Holy Bible clearly teaches that holding to the comfort
of your eternal salvation is not a license to sin or in your case commit
murder.

Glad to hear it. Then that needs to be taught to many folks who
hold dear OSAS. They don't get it.

The doctrine of eternal salvation was taught by the greatest
preachers that have ever walked the earth.

That's your opinion, which you are entitled to, but it isn't fact.
And as far as anyone who preaches OSAS ... Most of Christianity
(2 billion people) wouldn't put them in the 'greatest preachers
collumn' .. they'd put them in the 'wolves in sheeps clothing' collumn.

I feel sorry for you Flyersfan

That's really pathetic. Because I, who am a Christian and who love
God DEARLY, said that OSAS is frightening ... that makes me someone
to feel sorry for? How narrow minded of you. Honestly, I don't
care what you feel for me.

you live each day knowing that you are bound for hell

Nope. You aren't even close. Now you are just entertaining!

and try desperately to be perfect to avoid it.

I try to follow what Christ said, knowing all the while that
no one is perfect. As far as me 'trying desperately' ...
ha ha ha hahahahahahahahahaha

Here is what Christ said about being 'perfect'. He didn't
say 'hey, don't worry about it' .. He said -

Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven in perfect. Matthew 5:48

In other words ... ya' gotta' at least TRY, knowing we won't be,
but ya' gotta' TRY.

Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast,
and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come
and follow me. Matthew 19:21

You have chosen to place it on your own ability
to perfectly keep the law.

Again - Nope. Wrong again. It's really comical that you
claim to know me so well, just because I reject the dangerous
and frightening OSAS doctrine. The really funny thing is you
keep getting all your assumptions wrong.

You are doomed.

Judge not lest ye be judged. You have no clue, do you? Sad.

www.evangelicaloutreach.org...
www.evangelicaloutreach.org...
www.bible.ca...
www.biblestudyguide.org...
www.eternalsecurity.us...
www.gospeljohn.com...
www.truthablaze.com...
www.satansrapture.com...
www.biblestudyguide.org...

[edit on 8/31/2005 by FlyersFan]

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I spent several hours reading the links you posted and I would like to ask for your forgiveness concerning my final remark, “you are doomed”. It’s clear to me from what I’ve read that you are indeed a saved Christian if you do believe and follow the doctrines I examined. I mistakenly assumed that you were a follower of one of many cults and for that I apologize.

I often run into many false teachings concerning Christianity on these forums and in your case I was too quick to judge your beliefs. Your links do present a powerful argument against OSAS and many of the teachers this author stands against I also stand against for other reasons. The links have many hours of information to absorb but rest assured I’m interested enough to read them all.

I’ll first read all of it through with a fresh open mind then come back and do a point by point analysis with my current position. My only desire is to know the truth and I care not where it may take me.

My apology to you is personal and heartfelt.

In Christ,
Machine

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 03:09 PM
link   

I would like to ask for your forgiveness concerning my
final remark, “you are doomed”.

You got it. No problem.

Enjoy the reading. No matter which side of OSAS you are
on, it's interesting reading.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 04:05 PM
link   
no offence intended, but you fundies are mad!!!!!!!

i do not dispute the existence of god, i ask you why you think that earth is any more specal thatn ANY place in the known universe!

there are 200-400 billon stars in our galaxy and its rather small. imagine that 1 in a 100 had life on it! or 1in a 1000 or 1 in a millon! it does not matter-the galaxy is so big that there has to be ather life.

then on top of that... there is billons of other galaxys!

why cannot god create ather life?

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by blue_sky_9

Perhaps that's one of the things Jesus had yet to teach his apostles
but they weren't ready to learn yet. The apostles had enough
problems dealing with the truth of 'love your enemy' ... doubt they
could have handled 'love the ETs' as well.

There are MANY places in scripture that say it doesn't contain all
the truths. In one place it says that if all of Christ's teachings were
to be written down, there wouldn't be enough books in the world
to hold it all. All that missing truth! What a shame!!

It is entirely possible that there is life elsewhere. Perhaps that's one
of those things that we weren't ready to hear from Christ or that
wasn't deemed worthy of writing down. Heck ... the people of that
time thought the world was flat, how could Christ teach them that
the world was round, that there is gravity, space, stars, planets,
orbits, asteroids, etc. etc. etc. He was there for spiritual teachings
so I think astronomy and physics probably would have gone into the
'I have many more things to teach you, but you aren't ready yet'
- Jesus paraphrase.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by blue_sky_9

There are MANY places in scripture that say it doesn't contain all
the truths. In one place it says that if all of Christ's teachings were
to be written down, there wouldn't be enough books in the world
to hold it all. All that missing truth! What a shame!!
- Jesus paraphrase.

before the internet!

top topics

join