It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need professional help.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Not that kind!

Hi everyone,

Right, this is my first serious post. I searched the other threads and couldn't find what I was looking for, so if i've missed it I apologise.

At the age of four I was diagnosed with having Hypokalaemic Periodic Paralysis (Hypokalaemia). For the next fifteen years I was admitted to various hospitals for countless testing. These test's included having two and a half inch needles (connected to a muscle density analyser) inserted into my thigh muscles, arm muscles and the thin flap of skin between my thumb and index finger.

Eventually I was referred to a Professor in London who found out, through more testing, that my condition had something to do with my potassium levels. Even more testing followed which included over-dosing me with potassium to bring on the state of paralysis.

Around a year later I found I was developing depression because of the testing procedure's and decided I didn't want all of this anymore. I stopped seeing the Professor and left things as they were.

As the years passed I tried to go on with my life. Keeping a job down was proving hard as my condition usually starts during my sleep leaving me to wake up fully paralysed (therefore preventing from going to work the next day).

Eventually I started noticing that every now and again I would feel my heart beat three (sometime four) times consecutively. This lead to head rushes and nausea, and on occasions, I passed out.

It was then that I realised maybe now was a good time to visit the hospital again. I was told my potassium level was between 1.9 and 2.3. This meant nothing to me so I didn't query it with the nurses. I was then hooked up to an ECG monitor which is when the doctors told me I had a flattened U-wave, something to with a T-wave and possible cardial arrythmia.

Upon asking the doctor's what these meant I was met with what I classify as ignorance. They tried to explain things to me like a child. They gave me potassium chloride (Slow K) and I was on my way.

That was a few years ago now, i'm still on the Slow K, so now I want to know everything about what I have. I've googled it and come back with the same results each time, medical terms, statistics, even mortality reports.
What I need is some help from someone in the medical profession who could maybe give me "inside info". Any help would be appreciated.

p.s: Sorry for the long post, just wanted to include everything I thought could be useful.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Though I really feel for you, I'm not sure this is the right place to solicit medical advice, you know?

If for no other reason than the legal ramifications would be a really grey area - and it'd be terrible if you were to receive incorrect or dangerous advice.

I'm not sure where you're located, but there's a support/info group (based in Australia) here - they may be able to help you find a support group?

Hope you can find some info to help you

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Thanks for the reply and the link.

It's not advice i'm looking for, more of an explanation of the condition.
As I mentioned the hospital didn't tell me, google didn't help so I was just feeling a bit left in the dark.

If this sort of post isn't appropriate for ATS then I sincerely apologise.

I just thought that maybe there might be a few members, in the medical profession, who could enlighten me on this subject.
Once again, thanks and sorry.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Sorry for stating the obvious, but its a start,right.

Hypokalaemia

Hypokalaemia is essentially deficiency of potassium, caused often by excess water loss from the body, by certain medical conditions, or just a lack of proper eating habits (meaning the individual does not digest enough potassium). Potasium is what basically allows the muscles in the body (including the cardiac muscles) to function. It's potentially fatal, because it can cause irrepitable damage to the cardiac muscles if potasium isnt kept to a healthy standard. Potassium is essential for nerves aswell, as if there is not enough potassium in the bodys cells, nerve transmissions are often not recieved correctly.

potassium chloride
Potassium chloride is often used in medicines to help people with hypokalemia obtain a healthy ammount of potassium in theyre bodies. It's also the sole ingrediant in Judicial lethal injections during executions. It has several side effects, including vomiting, dairehea, bleeding from the gut, or gastrointestinal pain. An overdose of potassium chloride, besides potentially resulting in death (depending on the ammount ingested) can cause hyperkalemia, which causes arrythmeia, fibrillation, parathesia and cardiac conduction blocks.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Seeing as how you have more than 20 posts, you could try to u2u FredT with a link to your post. He is the ATS FSME on medical issues, and would probably be the best person on this forum to ask for information.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Hi thanks for that. What can I say, you've done your homework!!

These are typical examples of the results I get back from google.
But I need to know everything there is to know about this if i'm to live with it.

p.s:
They really use potassium chloride in the lethal injection??

Now I will stand up and admit that I didn't know that.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Duzey
Seeing as how you have more than 20 posts, you could try to u2u FredT with a link to your post. He is the ATS FSME on medical issues, and would probably be the best person on this forum to ask for information.

Hi thanks for the advice. I'll definately give it a go.
One problem....how do I provide a link to this post?
Sorry, still getting to grips with things here.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 09:51 PM
link   
No problem.

Just copy the url out of the address bar and paste it into the body of the u2u. He gets pretty busy saving lives, but I'm sure if you asked nicely he could provide you with some more info or advice on where to find it.

Good luck!

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Ok, got it.

Thank you for your help and thanks to everyone who provided info.
I appreciate it very much.

Take it easy.

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Hey everybody, thanks for the kind words

redize,

I will u2u you some more specific stuff when I get back to work. While for liability reasons I will not give specifics or direct advise, i can give you generic stuff etc.

Since we have delved into the topic a bit, I will throw some stuff out on this thread. Yes you are correct, potassium chloride (KCL) is the stuff used in lethal injections. Now the main difference is that the convics get a huge amount and it given fast by IV form. You can still get sick with the oral form, but you would most likely vomit well before you got really toxic.

One important thing to realize however is that if one cellular electrolyte is out of balance other may be as well. The information below is taken from "Common CVICU and PICU Lab Values" By a One FredT, RNTS, BSN

Potassium: (K+) Is the Principal electrolyte of intracellular fluid. This cation also serves as the primary intracellular buffer. It along with calcium and magnesium controls the rate and contractile force of the heart. As a buffer, K+ is substituted for Hydrogen Ions in the kidney The bulk of the bodies reserves are contained in the cells (85-90%) One kilogram of muscle or cells can contain 90 mEq of K+. When cells are damaged, they can release their K+. It also is critical for nerve muscle function.

Sodium: (Na+) is the most common electrolyte and forms the primary base of the blood. Its job is to maintain osmotic pressure, assist Potassium with acid-base balance, and help transmit nerve impulses. Like Potassium, the Kidneys control Na+ concentration. There are also several other mechanisms including: Carbonic Anhydrase Enzyme (controls excretion rate), Aldosterone (effects reabsorption), Renin Enzyme (Effects Aldosterone secretion)

Calcium: (Ca2+) Calcium is used by the body for muscle contraction, cardiac function, blood clotting and nerve impulse transmission. The bones and teeth store almost 100% of the bodies Ca2+. The remainder is found in the blood. About 50% of the Ca2+ in the body is in Ionized form. This level will fluctuate based on the patients acid base balance (Acidosis will increase the %, Alkalosis will decrease the %) Ionized Ca2+ is the only form that the body uses. Parathyroid hormone regulates blood Ca2+ by causing Ca2+ release from bones. It also increases absorption of Ca2+ from the intestine (Vitamin D as well) and kidneys. Estrogen also increases Ca2+ deposits into bones.

Chloride (Cl-) is an anion that is found mostly in extracellular spaces. Cl- helps maintain the osmotic pressure. It also helps maintain acid-base balance as well as fluid balances. Cl- has the ability to increase and decrease in response to changes in other anions. When bicarbonate decreases in metabolic acidosis serum Cl- rises. When aldosterone increases sodium absorption (+ ion) Cl- increases (- ion).

Magnesium (Mg2+) is required for the use of ATP. It also is required for Carbohydrate metabolism, Protein and Nucleic Acid synthesis, and contraction of muscular tissue. Mg2+ works with Calcium. A deficiency in Mg2+ often results in Calcium being leeched out of the patients bones. This in turn can cause calcification in the kidney and the aorta. Normally, 95% of Mg2+ is reabsorbed by the kidneys.

Phosphorus (P) is necessary for the growth of bones, and helps with the metabolism of fats and glucose. It also help in maintaining the acid base balance. Its most important function is to transport energy from one part of the body to the other. Phosphorus enters the cells with glucose. It also has an inverse relationship with Calcium. When Phosphorus levels are high, Calcium levels are low. Its levels are controlled primarily by the parathyroid hormone.

top topics

join