It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doomsday for New Orleans as a city?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 10:59 AM
link   
glad to hear you made thru safe and sound krt

[edit on 8-31-2005 by worldwatcher]

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Thank you. This monster hit the metro area as a cat 1 but looks more like a cat 2. I appreciate you and all whom have worried so for our safety.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 11:12 AM
link   
krt1967 can you give us some more information? Is it true that the water levels are rising? Is it as bad as the media reports it as? I thing the networks overexagerated the situation. Glad to here that you are doing okay, there are a few more ATS members that live in New Orleans that weren't active in almost two days it worries me, they are probably cleaning up or eveacuated, I hope that's the case.

[edit on 8/31/2005 by GoldEagle]

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Have any ATS members personally witnessed the "floating bodies" so often reported through the underground news networks? Grisly I know, but it'd be nice to get some level of confirmation on this. CNN briefly even alluded to it, but I notice it doesn't seem to be in the current updates.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Yes the devastation is worse than reported. My group just came in from a search and rescue and I have seen bodies floating along with rabbits, and many other animals. Water levels have been rising in NO and in parts of Mississippi. Whole towns are just gone. I am still searching for my dad in Laurel, Ms. There are seven dead there and more being found. 1000 Homes destroyed in Jones county.
And in Jackson this storm hit as a cat 1 and took lives.thousands without power, water, ice and hardly any gas left at local stations. People have waited in line for 4 to 6 hours for the max limit on getting some gas in their tanks. No hotels for hundreds of miles. People with power are opening thier homes to others without power and water. Most of the coastal areas in Ms are gone. We believe hundreds drowned in attics as the flood waters took over.
We have fire fighters hacking into rooftops exposed trying to save anybody still alive.
It is way worse than being reported at this time.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I just heard a report that a 3' shark was seen swimming through the streets of NO! The flood waters continue to rise at a rate "Which has exceeded all estimates." The Army Corps has reported that under optimal conditions only about 1" of water could be pumped out per hour... assuming that there were no levee breaches, no rain and all other sewage and drainage systesm were functioning at 100%. With nearly 300 linear feet in levee breaches, conditions are far from optimal and there is a seriousl level of doubt that these levees could be repaired. One source cited that the ebb and flow of the tides continues to erode the levees and that it is likely that the flood waters will not only continue to rise, but the rate will also oncrease.

I can tell you that I do not believe that NO will ever recover from this event. When one considers the amount of raw sewage flooding the area and the toxic chemicals (From household chemicals stored in people's homes to the much more nefarious and dangerous industrial chemicals used throughout industry in the area), this is likely to become a complete environmental/ecological disaster as time progresses; not too dis-similar to brownfield projects throughout the US.

God Bless ALL of Katrina's victims! I will keep you all in my prayers...

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I know they say Katrina was a cat 4 when it made landfall but other than the massive surge can you find anything that says its a 4? I haven't found anything anywhere that reports a windgust over 110. Thats nowhere close to 140mph sustained. Has anyone seen anything that shows otherwise?

Also the idea of them rebuilding New Orleans at our expense irks me. Why would you spend so much money to rebuild something that is virtually guaranteed to be destroyed in exactly the same way again. Hell it could happen again in a couple of years. Just seems foolish to me.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I'm gonna go make some predictions about the total damage suffered from Katrina. Also on a side note, the MSM (mainstream news) is not properly reporting all the looting and problems plaguing the affected areas.

Death Toll: 3000-5000
Monetary Damage: 40 Billion
Cutting Funds to make the levees stronger: Heartless

www.phxnews.com...

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indy
I know they say Katrina was a cat 4 when it made landfall but other than the massive surge can you find anything that says its a 4? I haven't found anything anywhere that reports a windgust over 110. Thats nowhere close to 140mph sustained. Has anyone seen anything that shows otherwise?

Also the idea of them rebuilding New Orleans at our expense irks me. Why would you spend so much money to rebuild something that is virtually guaranteed to be destroyed in exactly the same way again. Hell it could happen again in a couple of years. Just seems foolish to me.

Indy, I'm pretty sure the last hurricane hunter flight before landfall directly measured 145 mph in the NE quadrant of Katrina and 100-110 in the west. I don't know of any land based measurements though.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 01:31 PM
link   
The highest land measurement was something like a 109mph gust. I think that was in Biloxi. Can't swear to it.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   
It has been nearly 8 years since Katrina. I know that this post is a little late, but I will tell you what has been going on since then. I live in Gonzales Louisiana, about 50 miles north-east of N.O. Let me tell you, things didnt play out like the doomsayer said that would happen(including myself). They pumped out the water in a remarkable amout of time. Just after a two year wait, my wife and I went to stay at the Ritz near Boubon Street. As you make the trip to N.O. coming east on I-10 we didnt really see any significant damage. The Superdome had been repaired and as my own gauge of how things were, traffic at rush-hour seemed the same as before the storm.
The death toll would have been much higher if not for the "False Alarm" from the year before. I cant remember the name of the storm, but N.O. was evacuating. We have a system called Contra-Flow where they were supposed to get eveyone out of town by adjusting the outflow of traffic. It did not work. People were stranded for hours on west bound I-10 and the same for going east to Mississippi. There are only thee ways into and out of N.O. I-10 west to Baton Rouge, I-10 east to Mississippi, and accross the Lake Ponchatrain Bridge to Mandeville. By the powers that be the storm didnt really hit us and we got a reprieve. They changed the plan by opening the outflow to BOTH east and west bound traffic and not letting anyone in. That saved a lot of lives. Our Governer at the time was shell shocked and looked like a deer in the headlights the whole time. Bobby Jindal may have well as starated putting P.O.D.'s on the Goveners House lawn, because Blanco blew it. G.W. stepped in and helped somewhat. It was General Honere' that saved the aftermath catatrophy.
Anyway, N.O. has been reborned. I am not sure what the total population is, but traffic is back to being nerve wracking. I am sure that my rambling has bored you, but I just wanted everyone to know that the City of New Orleans is back in biz, and is as eclectic as always. As for myself, I would not move there if you promissed me a million bucks. Because it will happen again. But, long live New Orleans

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join