It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BTK pastor believes serial killer possessed! Are Demons real?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Although I do believe that they are REAL and somewhat hide themselves in todays world, I am not sure about this case but it sure seems likely.

As for the demons, they will not just come out and say who they are, because if society at large started believing in them, then they would therefore know that God is real. Therefore it is in the demons interests to be 'hidden'.

Lutheran minister’s theology
of evil altered by events
Posted: August 28, 2005
1:00 a.m. Eastern

By Mark Ellis
© 2005 ASSIST News Service

WICHITA, Kansas – He's faithfully visited notorious serial killer Dennis Rader every week at the county jail and still sees himself as his pastor. But the Dennis Rader he saw make a rambling final statement in court is not the same person he knows.

"The person I heard in the courtroom was not the real Dennis," says Michael Clark, pastor of Christ Lutheran Church in Wichita. "There was someone else speaking from Dennis that day," he believes. "I personally think we’re dealing with some kind of possession."

"From all that I’ve seen and the people I've talked with who have dealt with demonic possession, I feel there was something working there," he adds. "When I go back to the beginning when Dennis made his first statement to the public about his condition in the '70s he said, 'There’s a monster inside of me that I can’t control.'"

As Rev. Clark listened, he was struck by the inconsistency with the man he knew. "I honestly don't think it was the Dennis Rader I know who was a member of this congregation and who I worked with in leadership," he says. "It was a power, an evil force that was controlling."

Lutheran minister’s theology of evil altered by events

Rev. Clark still believes Rader is a Christian, but Rader’s shocking double life caused Clark to reexamine his theology of evil during the last few months. First Clark read C.S. Lewis' classic "Screwtape Letters" as well as M. Scott Peck's "A Glimpse of the Devil." Then he consulted with a retired Lutheran pastor who experienced demonic encounters in the mission field.

Why don't the Church's be more open with this subject? I have heard personal accounts of these possessions but the Church is silent these days. Why?

While Rader may need specialized treatment to address his condition, Rev. Clark is not sure he's the one to provide it. "I've learned more about the value and purpose of exorcism," he says. "I'm not sure I would get involved with that because it takes specialized training and skills."

"It's not something you play around with – it's very dangerous," he adds.

"We're so used to dealing with the psychological and scientific model," he continues. "We don't recognize the possibility of a spiritual explanation." He takes issue with those who would be quick to apply a label to Rader such as "psychopath" or "sociopath."

Could this be the reason? That the ability of the lukewarm Church to fight this is limted? The Holy Spirit can fight these things, with the name of Christ, by the blood of the Lamb and yet they are silent......sad.

[edit on 28-8-2005 by edsinger]

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 08:19 PM
link   
While the churches may appear to be silent on this subject publicly, the Catholic Church released a book to its Priests on the proper ways to conduct an exorcism, in the last decade. They also held a conference, a sort of "classroom," on conducting exorcisms. Maybe they feel that if they publicly acknowledge the existence of these demons and their ability to posess people, they could cause an influx of false reports, which aside from their inconvenience may also cause the true victims of posession to be overlooked or not receive an exorcism in a timely manner. Just my two cents on that subject...

As for BTK... I sincerely doubt he's posessed. The fact that he lived a double life is nothing out of the ordinary. Most serial killers and mass murderers do everything they can to hide their killing ways. I think this Priest is just unable to grasp the fact that Rader pulled one over on him and so many others, for so many years. Instead of accepting that he wasn't able to recognize this "evil" side of a man whom he was so close to, he instead chooses to blame it on a higher power. Sort of like our need to blame a conspiracy for the assassination of JFK, as he was such a great and powerul man it is so hard to comprehend that one loser like Lee Harvey Oswald could be responsible for ending his life and his legacy.

Rader definitely has some serious mental problems, there's no doubt. Anyone who finds sexual gratification in the murdering of women and children is obviously insane. What I would like to know is if this was something he was born with and decided to act on, or was it a result of an abusive childhood or similar situation. Then again, in the case of someone like Jeffrey Dahmer, who had a completely normal and loving childhood, it could just be a mental dissorder. And if it is mental, hopefully we will someday be able to recognize the condition through testing and be able to rectify it through medication or some other means before any innocent lives must be lost. I'm not recommending that we throw these people in jail if we can figure out who has the condition, but we should at the very least make them undergo psychological screenings of some sort and try to prevent bad things from happening.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasputin13
As for BTK... I sincerely doubt he's posessed. The fact that he lived a double life is nothing out of the ordinary. Most serial killers and mass murderers do everything they can to hide their killing ways. I think this Priest is just unable to grasp the fact that Rader pulled one over on him and so many others, for so many years. Instead of accepting that he wasn't able to recognize this "evil" side of a man whom he was so close to, he instead chooses to blame it on a higher power.

I tend to lead this way also. Its the no remorse thing....its scary.

Hey quick question,

Originally posted by Rasputin13
While the churches may appear to be silent on this subject publicly, the Catholic Church released a book to its Priests on the proper ways to conduct an exorcism, in the last decade. They also held a conference, a sort of "classroom," on conducting exorcisms.

Do you know where I can get one or more information. I just talked with a new seminary (Lutheran) graduate tonight and he admits that the Church feels it real. They talked about it in class and that only certain people should attempt it. It just doesn't want those ill - equipped to try and deal with something that they are not trained for.

As a matter of fact I once heard that the Missouri Synod Pastor was the one that the movie the Exorcist was made after, the one that feel down the stairs and was killed and that at that point the Lutheran Church went to the Catholic Church for help.....both of which 'hushed' the whole incident.

[edit on 28-8-2005 by edsinger]

join