It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nice sighting

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Just got back from a week in Skegvegas with the tribe (Skegness, Lincolnshire for the uninitiated) and whilst there I saw an interesting little sight. Nothing earth shattering in itself but unusual for me. First up there was a three ship formation of F-15's which was a nice sight and then, maybe 20 mins to half an hour later a Typhoon flew over the beach and performed a rather flash 'victory roll'.

Were the two sightings linked, I wonder? Given the victory roll I really hope they were

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Could you make out the type of F-15? C or E? Maybe they got waxed in an exersize????

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by waynos
Just got back from a week in Skegvegas with the tribe (Skegness, Lincolnshire for the uninitiated) and whilst there I saw an interesting little sight. Nothing earth shattering in itself but unusual for me. First up there was a three ship formation of F-15's which was a nice sight and then, maybe 20 mins to half an hour later a Typhoon flew over the beach and performed a rather flash 'victory roll'.

Were the two sightings linked, I wonder? Given the victory roll I really hope they were

Interesting, Waynos. Surely a chap with your know how and connections would be able to find out if there were any exercises? I am sure the RAF would be only too happy to confirm that a Typhoon creamed 3 F-15's.....oooh....that would be sooooo cool!

I will see if I can find out off my Uncle. He is a Wing Commander, so might know if we were teaching the Yanks a few tricks up there, but then again, he is in charge of the Hercy Birds, so probably knows bugger all

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Haha I bet you would love that wouldn't you? But I too am rather interested in this, more info would be appreciated.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Regards the type of F-15, I could tell that they were a lightish grey, very slightly darker than the Typhoon. From this I would guess that they were F-15C's ( I am under the impression that F-15E's are currently very dark grey, or am I wrong?)

I am planning to text my mate whose currrently serving in the communications branch of the RAF, he may or may not know something about it.

I would love a single Typhoon to have knocked off three F-15's ( and really hope its the case) but there is always the possibility that the pilot was just showing off to the sun worshippers below.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Haha I bet you would love that wouldn't you? But I too am rather interested in this, more info would be appreciated.

Haha, it would be something to wind you up with Westy
...but I doubt a Typhoon could take 3 F-15s (a plane never to have sustained a single combat loss)....maybe 2...

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Could you make out the type of F-15? C or E? Maybe they got waxed in an exersize????

Clarification please:

F-15E Eagle Variant: Heavier duty F-15?

F-15C Strike Eagle Variant: Lighter F-15, I think it has a bit better technology now

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 09:13 PM
link   
F-15C Air Superiority fighter currently getting the AESA radar upgrades.
F-15E Strike Eagle tactical bomber variant.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 10:49 PM
link   
What about the F-15D Streak Eagle? Failed experiment for strike bomber?

Shattered OUT...

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 12:09 AM
link   
The Streak Eagle was an F-15A, and it's only purpose was to set time to climb records. They stripped everything possible out of it, including the paint, and used it to set many records that stood for a very long time. It was flown in 1975. Shortly after the F-15 came out.

The single-seat F15A on display at the USAF Museum, nicknamed "Streak Eagle," broke eight time-to-climb world records between Jan. 16 and Feb. 1, 1975. In setting the last of the eight records, it reached an altitude of 98,425 ft. just 3 minutes 27.8 seconds from brake release at takeoff and "coasted to nearly 103,000 ft. before descending. It was flown in its natural metal finish to reduce weight for the record-setting flights. To protect it from corrosion, McDonnell Douglas Corp. has since painted it in the gray color scheme of most operational F-15s.

Streak Eagle is an early preproduction aircraft. Differences in internal structure and systems operation made it too costly to return to operational service. It was delivered to the USAF Museum in December 1980, after it was no longer useful as a flight test vehicle.
www.wpafb.af.mil...

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Reading this thread reminded me of something I read in a paper whilst sitting in the middle of the North sea on a production platform!

Scotland on Sunday 19 06 2005

"IT might be over budget and years late but the Eurofighter Typhoon has shown that it can shake off America's best fighter plane and shoot it down.

A chance encounter over the Lake District between a Eurofighter trainer and two F-15 aircraft turned into a mock dogfight, with the British plane coming off best - much to the surprise of some in the RAF. The episode was hushed up for fear of causing US blushes.

For a project 10 years late and $8bn over budget, it is a welcome piece of good news.

The 'clash' took place last year over Windermere when the two-seater RAF Eurofighter was 'bounced' from behind by the two F-15E fighters.

The US pilots intended to pursue the supposedly hapless 'Limey' for several miles and lock their radars on to it for long enough so that if it had been a real dogfight the British jet would have been shot down.

But much to the Americans' surprise, the Eurofighter shook them off, outmanoeuvred them and moved into shooting positions on their tails."

Hurrah for the dashing boys in blue!!!!!!!

Having seen the Typhoon up close and personnel, inside and out, I can only describe it as a beauty!!!!!

Lets hope all the complex cutting edge systems don't become it's downfall!

SV Out!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 08:02 AM
link   
The East coast is great for sighting military aircraft, especially from the Wash area. There are the Holbeach and Wainfleet ranges plus plenty of bases. I actually saw a B2 working the Holbeach range about 3 months ago late one evening.
There is a good footpath adjacent to the Holbeach ranges and it's great to sit there watching various types at play.

Marham is a good place to sit for a while too. Last time I paid a visit, a couple of months ago, I was lucky enough to see two Canberra PR9's practicing approaches at the same time (the last two remaining I think).
There were also 4 pairs of F-15E's passed over in about 1 minute. It can get busy there at times

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 08:08 AM
link   
yeah, maybe the EF finally won the F-15 C... But simebody made a post about that a long time ago... That the EF won 4 F-15...

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Heh, I see quite a bit myself. Seen a Tornado fly over Loch Lomond closley followed by a Jaguar, saw a Chinook up there some other time too.

Back here in Essex (Sigh), seen plenty, near Colchester. Canadian Lynx's (Why?!) And a couple of Chinooks and plenty of planes on there way to Airshows, all the time.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Teh_Gerbil
Heh, I see quite a bit myself. Seen a Tornado fly over Loch Lomond closley followed by a Jaguar, saw a Chinook up there some other time too.

Back here in Essex (Sigh), seen plenty, near Colchester. Canadian Lynx's (Why?!) And a couple of Chinooks and plenty of planes on there way to Airshows, all the time.

You'd be surprised how many Commonwealth forces are in the UK. At Arborfield (REME HQ) there are always ANZACS and Canadians walking about in their funny uniforms (silly hats etc)...no offense, sure our hats are funny too!!

M6D

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Wow, thats a nice little snippet you got there about the trainer! i love that!a two seat TRAINER plane beat them! unbelievable!

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by M6D
Wow, thats a nice little snippet you got there about the trainer! i love that!a two seat TRAINER plane beat them! unbelievable!

Are you referring to my original post? In case you are there are two things worth remembering;

first, I don't know if it was a two seater or not, It was quite high up. The RAF does have single seaters now too.

second, the two seater is fully combat capable anyway so the fact that it is a trainer is irrelevant.

If you are talking about something else I apologise.

M6D

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 02:41 PM
link   
haha i was refering to the F-15 besting two F-15s.

and in the case of it bee fully combat capable, a two seater is bound to be less manouverable anyway, so its still impressive

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 03:59 PM
link   
The two seater is just as capable as the single seater, but has the advantage of a person in the back seat to keep an eye on your targets for you. There is no difference in performance between a single seater and a two seater.

M6D

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 12:47 AM
link   
are you sure? added weight means a lot to a figher.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join