It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Boy Struck By Sun Fish Off Welsh Coast

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 03:28 PM
link   
A four year old boy was knocked to the ground when a meter-long 30kg Ocean Sun fish lept from the sea and landed in their boat. The boy received minor injuries and the large fish was thrown back into the sea. The strange event happend off the Welsh coast. Sun fish are a tropical fish and the presence of one in Wales is rare.

news.bbc.co.uk

A four-year-old boy fishing off the west Wales coast with his parents was knocked over by a metre-long tropical fish which leaped aboard their boat.

The Grey family were fishing off the coast of Pembrokeshire when the ocean sunfish - weighing around 30kg - landed on top of their son Byron.

"It knocked him flying," said Vivienne Grey, from Little Haven.

Sunfish - the world's largest bony fish - are native to warm, tropical waters and are less common in the UK.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This story is bizarre, I find Sun Fish extremely peculiar due to their odd shape, but also due to their extreme size. Sun fish can grow up to 3m (9 feet) long and weigh 1,360kg (2992lbs)!

[edit on 28/8/05 by subz]

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Now this is strange. Ive never seen one in UK coastal waters, I have however seen them in the sea's off Maine in the US when I went whale watching which was a fantastic.

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Yeah, and you can now catch lionfish off the coast of North Carolina.

The environments are changing, or the organisms are changing. Something is changing, that's for sure.

Interesting times we live in.

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Maybe the sea is warming up. No it can't be that otherwise that would imply......

Maybe the fish are simply on holiday.

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Four years old. Imagine the shock. That boy is going to have a phobia against fish for the rest of his life. He'll run screaming when he sees a goldfish bowl.

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Lmao, fishphobia. Still, at least the kids alright.

I'm not too familar with sunfish but apparently they're tropical which makes me wonder why they'd be up by the UK. I'll agree, the climate is definatly changing a bit, for better or for worse. This'll be an intresting story to tell years from now.

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Well I originally posted this story because, I too, thought "what the hell is a tropical sunfish doing off the Welsh coast?" But when I read further on the news story says they've been seen off the coast for a while.

But now Ive come to think, well that doesnt necessarily discount the fact that the oceans have been heating up for a while now

The Sun fish wouldnt be classed as a "tropical fish" if it regularly frequented temperate/cold seas. So this is indicative of the oceans warming up, if you ask me

Although this story did eventually get upgraded as a wierd story
Not after receiving a rather substantial amount of "No: Not Right" votes though

[edit on 30/8/05 by subz]

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 10:51 AM
link   
The story itself is a snoozer... boy meets fish... woo ha...

But the evidence that seems to build is that the ocean currents are changing temp, and with that comes the new current flows.

We have seen many oddities regarding fish out of place this last year...
So called "tropical" fish are found all over.

Lionfish are another example...

top topics

join