It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Offer your best.

page: 1

join
share:
JAK

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 09:15 AM
link   
All of us at some time or another go through the wringer. There are times when no matter how positive you try to be things just seem to mount up and unfortunate events try to overtake us.

It is in times like that when the kind words of friends are great comfort, and that's the purpose of this thread. For you to leave your greatest inspirational tales or words of advice that you have appreciated, anything that you feel might help inspire or bring comfort to your fellow ATS'ers in times of strife.

I'll start by suggesting the range of works taken form various books of C.S. Lewis in the book 'A year with C.S. Lewis - 365 daily readings from his classic works' It is not only an interesting read but has helped me get a few things clear when my head was too clouded before.

So, help away...

Jak

[edit on 28/8/05 by JAK]

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Hey

If anyone needs anyone to talk to or anything like that. u2u me or I'll be in chat.

EDIT: If I'm idle feel free to talk. I'll read it later or get back to you or something. Or you could just use it to get it out.

[edit on 103131p://190810 by cpr12r]

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 10:50 AM
link   
There are definitely times in all of our lives when we've done something wrong which caused us to be punished in one way or another.

Back in 10th grade, I called a false fire alarm at school... fire trucks showed up, and men searched the building and found nothing. One of my friends allegedly ratted me out and I was taken to principal's office.

I endured being yelled at from my father, stern talkings from the principal, assistant principal, and a cop who was present. Being I was only 16 at the time, I wasn't arrested nor were charges pressed.

I WAS suspended for the remainder of the year and the first quarter of 11th grade. I thought when I returned, that'd be the end of it.

BOY, was I wrong.

Kids tormented me, I lost a few friends as a result of this, and I was hailed as all of the bad kids as a "hero". My entire image had been turned 180 to "bad boy" status as opposed to being the "good guy" of before. After a few weeks, things died down. I have to thank my true friends who were there for me... I owe them

People thought I changed. Heck no, I did not. I went back to being my old self... and gradually flipped back to the former "good guy" status.

In the time I wasn't at school, I had to do tutoring at the administration building since I couldn't attend classes. In that first quarter, I got an 89 average... better than I've ever done IN school. I tried to make the best of the bad situation. When I returned, it was announced that I was one of the kids on the credit roll (step below honor roll) for that quarter. People were amazed due to the fact I wasn't even INSIDE the school physically. That was one of my proud moments. I also put no blame on the friend who had ratted me out. I had no one to blame but myself for the events that happened. Me and the friend are real close to this day. It may not feel good at the moment, but taking responsibility for your actions is a DARN good thing.

So I guess what I'm saying is... no matter what happens, you can always turn it around. You just have the have the mind power to do so. Also, having a journal or even weblog helps a lot to get out your feelings if talking to people isn't your thing. I had an old blog at the time, but I can't find it anymore. It helped me a lot.

That's my story and advice... hope it helped.

[STAY COOL)
-prophetmike

[edit on 8/28/05 by prophetmike]

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 02:46 PM
link   
My wife keeps a journal. I forget what she calls it, but every day she writes just one thing she is thankfull for in it. No matter whats going on, she allways takes the time to add to it. Nothing religious or anything like that, just something that we are grateful for

It forces you to stop and think about everything in your life thats good, no matter what is going on at that moment.

Without getting into it, me and my family have some tough times we are getting through. Although we see the light at the end of the tunnel, there are some bad days and fustrating days ahead. But this journal keeps things in persepctive, I highly recomend it if you are going through some tough times.

The one entry that has made MANY appearnaces in that journal is my little boy. Whe worst things ever can be going on, but so long as that little turnip is doing OK then things just arent that bad.

[edit on 29-8-2005 by skippytjc]

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 05:24 PM
link   
My advise would be,

Never lose hope ever, No matter how bad things get you got to hold on with your teeth to hope, If a situation is bad you have to live for the hope that it will turn and get better,

What gives me hope is thinking of others, I turn my thoughts in to thinking about someone else who would die to be in my place with my problems, as mine are far less than theres,

Theres always someone worse of than yourself,

And my motto! always try and smile!

new topics

top topics

join