It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

God is punishing American soldiers for defending a country that harbors gays

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 08:31 AM
link   
So much for a god being all loving and trying to teach good messages. This is sickening and boils my blood.

Link: news.yahoo.com.../ap/20050828/ap_on_re_us/soldier_funeral_protests

quote from article: The church members carried signs and shouted things such as "God hates fags" and "God hates you."

[edit on 28-8-2005 by I See You]

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 08:35 AM
link   
I See You you beat me on this one

Another fine example of bigoty and stupidity!
What I olved was the part that most of the members of this "church" were all relatives of the "minister"

Here is a link that I have on the story
Anti-gay church protests at soldiers’ funerals

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 08:41 AM
link   
This is terrible!

It also shows that it isn't just the lefties who protest against the war at memorial services by putting names on little crosses. Now the conservatives are getting in on the latest - despicable - trend of protesting during people's funeral services.

People, right and left should let the family and friends grieve and stop using every opportunity to get their political agenda across.

btw - why would a fair and just GOD punish soldiers who condone gays, but bless the killing of thousands of innocent men, women and children in Iraq? This isn't the action of a God, this is the irrational logic of ignorant and uneducated people.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by nikelbee
It also shows that it isn't just the lefties who protest against the war at memorial services by putting names on little crosses. Now the conservatives are getting in on the latest - despicable - trend of protesting during people's funeral services.

You have confused the agenda of this group of dolts. They are not protesting the war, they are protesting the lives of gay people, who's rights are [supposedly] being protected by the soldiers going to war, they are protesting the very soldier and his family for the soldier doing what his country asks of him. This is not about war, this is about Phelps' agenda to have the homosexual community condemned across the US. I've read nowhere of Phelps protesting the war, he protests the gay lifestyle, and nothing else. Many have said that his actions are indicative of a gay heart ........ I agree.

Misfit

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Anything seem a bit too extreme about this? It's perfectly feasible that left-wingers who want to give Christian Righters a bad name staged this 100%. No better way to do that than to bash American soldiers at a funeral. Don't swallow everything provided to you.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Gotta love Fred Phelps. (

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Yes you are right. They left wingers did it in two stages:

1. Increased the amount of family members related to the minister (more the merrier)

2. Brain-washed said extended family, just to make christian conservatives 'look bad'.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 09:12 AM
link   
You folks that are labeling this as left/right really need to look into what Phelps' issues are. He is not left/right ........ he is god/gay - period. It amazes me how you people that are bent on political outlooks take any isssue and turn it left/right, there is life outisde of political agendas.

Misfit

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by tebyen
Gotta love Fred Phelps. (

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Does anybody know where his hatred for gays derives from? Being that he is a god -fearing man what are his perceptions of the churches and the scandelous gay rapings that have happened?

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misfit
You folks that are labeling this as left/right really need to look into what Phelps' issues are. He is not left/right ........ he is god/gay - period. It amazes me how you people that are bent on political outlooks take any isssue and turn it left/right, there is life outisde of political agendas.

Misfit

I disagree - as soon as you start protesting at funerals and saying that US soldiers should die if protecting gays, then it IS a political issue and a sharp political move by a man who has done this many times before at other funerals.

www....-------------------------/library/bio/religion/fred-phelps/ (note the photo of phelps in a cowboy hat)

In my post I wrote left or right it doesn't matter - the dead should be allowed to rest and their families should be allowed to grieve in peace.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Sorry one more link and I'm going to stop posting on this thread. I had no idea this guy had condoned the bombing of London 7/7.

Partly funny because of the pictures, but more scary than funny was his comment that not enough people died and more should have been killed.

This guy makes Robertson look like a boy scout.

www.godhatesfags.com...

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by I See You
Does anybody know where his hatred for gays derives from? Being that he is a god -fearing man what are his perceptions of the churches and the scandelous gay rapings that have happened?

1] It comes from the Bible [depending how one reads it]
2] I'm sure he would condone the offending occurances.

========================
========================

Originally posted by nikelbee In my post I wrote left or right it doesn't matter

In your post before that was:

Yes you are right. They left wingers did it in two stages:

Phelps was at this long before our current atmosphere of politics. The left/right battles happen at Elections, and war - Phelps never stops against sodomy or homosexuality ......... never.

Misfit

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Yes Misfit - but I wasn't replying to you, I was replying to the post before yours -

Anything seem a bit too extreme about this? It's perfectly feasible that left-wingers who want to give Christian Righters a bad name staged this 100%. No better way to do that than to bash American soldiers at a funeral. Don't swallow everything provided to you.

THUS my sarcastic comment. I didn't make this left versus right. This isn't a conspiracy to make anyone look bad, expect of course Phelps and his followers, whom it would seem don't care about looking bad in the first place, since they are equipped with truth on their side (as they see it).

It is his Phelps' right to express his Freedom of Speech as nasty as it is. All we can do is say is shake our heads and have a little laugh at his expense.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Lets say God is alive and chillin' for the sake of this thread, imo one such as God could care less about this gimpy matters that go on in our daily lives.

Yeah God is too busy punishing the self righteous to help the poor, I mean those 3rd world countries must've really pissed him off!

imo God needs a new logo, the cross just ain't cutting it anymore.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misfit

Misfit

Ditto that. Having lived in Kansas for 6 years, I became all too familiar with the insanity of Phelps' "church". A sizeable fraction of the "church's" membership is his family. He used have an operation that he used to tie up fax machines of just about every state politician in KS that voted in any way he disagreed with. He is a lawyer and many of his family members are lawyers. Any interference with his outrageous behavior is immediately met with legal threats and actual lawsuits.

Trying to label his politics as left/right or conservative/liberal is a waste of time - he doesn't think that way. If you aren't with him, you are either a 'fag' or a 'fag lover'. That is the extent of his thinking - his entire world revolves around homosexuality. Good is straight, bad is gay - period. "Evil" probably no longer has any meaning to him, it has been replaced in his mind with "Gay". To be sure, "conservative" and "liberal" are meaningless to him. He hates both ends of the spectrum equally because 'they' are not 'him'.

As a case in point, while I was at Kansas State University, Pat Robertson once came to give an invited lecture [where, btw, he was confronted with and denied the witches/lesbians killing children quote - sound familiar?]. You'd think that an ultra-conservative like Robertson would have at least some support from Phelps. But you would be wrong - Phelps & his crew showed up to protest Robertson for reasons that only they understand. If I had to guess, the reason for the protest was the fact that they knew TV cameras would be present and Phelps' phools can't pass up any opportunity to see themselves on the screen.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Yes Misfit - but I wasn't replying to you, I was replying to the post before yours -

THUS my sarcastic comment.

I can't loss the sarcasm not seen. Hence the need of smileys or cites of sarcasm, as the poster before you did.

Nor the loss of quote, being it wasn't there.

The net is inflectionless, what you mean isn't always carried.

In any case, I differ from it being a political agenda, having read into Phelps' history, I just don't see it - I see a crazy Bible thumper who, for all I know, was sodomized as a child, and this is revenge.

I can, however, see what is seen as a political motive, of reverse pysychology, just don't think that's it with this one.

Misfit

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I agree with Misfit. This is not political (or religious, for that matter). For us to get dragged into a political or religious discussion because these freaks throw a few catch phrases around or display their agenda at a soldier's funeral is the same as getting dragged into a religious debate over Al-Qaeda because they throw the name of God around, like God has anything to do with what they've done! If you think this is a political move, then you're just buying into their agenda. That's what they want.

These are extremists who have hijacked whatever labels (Christian, Conservative) they are using. They represent no one but themselves.

There is another ATS thread about this.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Misfit

Maybe you should try to read through the posts more carefully? I don't see why I need a smiley when I'm basically saying that the lefties made Phelps' family expotentially expand just for the purpose of his deranged demonstration. A reply I meant for someone else but that you jumped on, even when I explained that my purpose wasn't to make this a right versus left.

Seeing as what I said was both impossible AND ridiculous - (brain washing an entire family by lefties?) it should be attributed as a tongue in cheek reply, just like a lot of what we are used to seeing in ridiculous situations such as these.

I don't think that needs a smiley or a 'warning this is a sarcastic remark'. It is unfortunate you chose to interpret my reply into something I never said.

As far as our argument whether or not this is a policial battle, it is fine with me if we don't see eye to eye. The point is that this post is about how ridiculous Phelps is and how erroneous and untimely his hate filled messages. Especially when he is using the photo/news ops to do so during the funerals of unfortunate soldiers.

That cleared maybe we should get back on topic.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 11:23 AM
link   
@ nikelbee

"Maybe you should try to read through the posts more carefully? I don't see why I need a smiley when I'm basically saying that the lefties made Phelps' family expotentially expand just for the purpose of his deranged demonstration."

I read every thread in full, even twice and more when lenghty. If the fact that your sarcasm or implications can, now in fact, not be taken as such, it's not to a discredit of a reader when what is normally a vocal communication is lost in a written form. It's why books are as big as books, to make up for that loss.

"A reply I meant for someone else but that you jumped on, even when I explained that my purpose wasn't to make this a right versus left."

My post follwing yours is directed at "you folks", I did not "jump on" your reply, I posted in a thread. I even subsequently, in that post, directed it blatantly to "you people that are bent on political outlooks".

"Seeing as what I said was both impossible AND ridiculous - (brain washing an entire family by lefties?) it should be attributed as a tongue in cheek reply, just like a lot of what we are used to seeing in ridiculous situations such as these."

However blatantly ridiculous, it is not impossible. Social Engeneering can be heightened to levels of hypnotism - think Jim Jones and countless other groups.

"I don't think that needs a smiley or a 'warning this is a sarcastic remark'. It is unfortunate you chose to interpret my reply into something I never said."

Not a choosing of interpretation, it's simply the way it was read and understood. I'm not inept, my posts thoughout this board attest to that.

"The point is that this post is about how ridiculous Phelps is and how erroneous and untimely his hate filled messages. Especially when he is using the photo/news ops to do so during the funerals of unfortunate soldiers."

I'm not following your erroneous nor untimely. His timing is irrelevant, as he siezes any oportunity to make his case for as long as he has done what he does, which stems back several decades.

Misfit

top topics

<<   2 >>

join