It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Were Romans and Greeks here?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 05:08 PM
link   
"At any rate, there have been similarities traced between maccu piccu, easter island, stonehenge, and even a small area in arizona. If you want to read a cool fiction on the subject, i suggest Clive Cussler's "Serpent" It's a great read."

Loki, what area in Arizona would that be?
(As if there wasn't enough around here to explore already.)

I'll give the Cussler book a shot, haven't read him in a while.

Thanks.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 06:21 PM
link   
It's quite possible.
Here in Italy, many know Vatican was acquainted with American continent before C. Colombo. In addition very few people know Romans builded very large and long range ships; an example is the roman ships founded in '20 of last century near the Nemi Lake, not far from Rome, and bearing the "fistulae acquariae" of Caligola, killed in a plot in 41AD . The building technique of these ships (74metres long x 24metres wide) is really amazing. One of the iron anchors weights 417kg. The "fistulae acquariae" were lead's pipes of running water, there were mosaic pavements, pumps, taps, rotating platforms and many other thing at state of art not projected unitil 18° or 19° century.

You will find other informations principaly at Nemi Museum, Rome and if you know italian here www.comunedinemi.it...

Ciao,

Andala

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 07:14 PM
link   
ancient greek words in american tribes

During the last two decades many foreign historians and researches clearly found Greek words at the languages of Inca, Aztecs in the Southern and Central American, as well as the Pacific Ocean, Indonesia, New Guinea, Polynesia, Melanesia and Australia. Moreover from India and China to Japan not only greek words do exist, but also very ancient Greek naming of locations such as in Chine, whose southern region is called Yunan = Ionia etc.

Furthermore even to the most, if not all, languages of the African continent they discover clearly Hellenic words equally ancient and modern. The resemblance between words of the Hawaii language and corresponding ones from ancient Greek is remarkable. In the Hawaii language «aeto» means aetos = eagle, «nou-nou» = nous(thought), «manao» = matheno (ancient Greek: «manthano» = learn), «mele» = song (ancient Greek.: «melos» ), «laoui» = laos(people), «iki» = arrive (ancient Greek.: «ikano» ), noko = live, inhabit (ancient Greek.: «naeo» ). At the Canarian islands, there are the words «alio» for Helios=Sun and «sel» for Selene=Moon. The Aztecs use the word «Teo» in their compound words for «God» (ancient Greek.: «melos») which is met in many locations. The most curious coincidence is at the word «teokali» that means «the house of God» and is very similar to the ancient Greek «Theou kalias» which means «the altar of God». Pecular also is the Mayan phrase «Konex Omon Panex», that sounds the same way with the phrase «Konx Om Panx», spoken by the ancient Greeks during the Eleusian Rites whose ceremonial details come from Crete. The same greek phrase is also used by the Brahmans in their religious ceremonies, under the form «Kansa Om Pansa».

Let it also be noted that the French researcher Pierre Honore, has discovered inscriptions with the Cretan Linear List of Syllables at the shores of Amazon, pictures of which have been also been published by researcher Mertz. A jar of Crete origin, identical of which was discovered in Knossos, was found in Bimini. Cretan copper made Doubleaxes were discovered in Wisconsin and Ohaio of U.S.A. Similar objects have been found in England as well.

ow can we tell if a civlilzation is related to another? They have the same root language. Their early artifacts are identical to each other. Their early writing (alphabet) is the same. Their symbosl are similar or the same. Their gods are the same.

The last words are taken from a professor, who trully speaking, opened me new horizons of understanding on how civilizations can be related...

Dragon

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 07:18 PM
link   
ooops what did i forget? Their gods should be the same...

here is a link:
relations between Greek and Inca deities

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dragonlike
More proofs:
Ancient Greeks in America
Since the link of: ''double sided axes from Crete were found in Washighton and Ohio of the U.S.A'' is missing, i provide it Here (Its the same but in greek)

There are doublesided axes found in other cultures, but you're not making a connection to those. If you were to be complete about this, then double axes are also found in Rome and in China and in Africa and in Persia and in a lot of other places. However, to say that they all got them from the Greeks is not correct.

And the "medusa's head" isn't convincing at all. You can't look around to find just one picture that proves your point -- you have to look at all the pictures and the time period to see what is going on. So there are no Medusa stories or images (other than the one you say "looks like" it.)

Nor is there anything unusual about the designs on the Anasazi bowl, because I've seen those same scrolls and squares on a lot of other things -- things that couldn't have any connection with Greece.

If there had been Greeks in America, they would have done more than just leave two drawings and some scratches on stone. They would have taught the natives how to make swords and spears and armor and things that Greek civilization had that the Americas didn't.

Like wine.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
How do you figure its the same? If anything, native american architecture is so radically different from old world architecture as to show that there was no contact.

Ok here we are,
Some photos:
Here
Here
Here
Here

The Fortress of Sacsayhuaman
In correlation with:
Cyclopean Walls

But in reality,

Cyclopean masonry

is a type of stonework found only in Greece: Mycenae, Tiryns, Argos, Krisa (in Phocis), and the Athenian Acropolis. Somewhat smaller boulders occur in the walls of Midea

Dragon

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indellkoffer

If there had been Greeks in America, they would have done more than just leave two drawings and some scratches on stone. They would have taught the natives how to make swords and spears and armor and things that Greek civilization had that the Americas didn't.

You missed my point!!!
Stay focused on language and deities similarities!!!
Don't change the meaning of my words...

Originally posted by Byrd
How can we tell if a civlilzation is related to another? They have the same root language. Their early artifacts are identical to each other. Their early writing (alphabet) is the same. Their symbosl are similar or the same. Their gods are the same

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 01:45 AM
link   

You missed my point!!!
Stay focused on language and deities similarities!!!
Don't change the meaning of my words...

The languages aren't similar at all, and the gods are very very different. What your selected pictures don't show is that there's more than one picture of these mythic figures... and a lot of the mythic pictures have symbols next to them that tell the name of the figure and tell the story of what's in the picture.

A Mycenean picture of Medusa next to a small section of a Mayan stone with the name "Ixbalanque " and the identification that he was a warrior does NOT convince me that Medusa is actually Ixbalanque and Ixbalanque is really Medusa.

The South American languages are related to the Athabaskan languages of the Inuit (Alaska in North America, and Siberia in Russia) and not in any way to the Greek.

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Also, there are reports that Hebrew/Semetic linguistic elements have been found in America: Maxwell Institude
Perhaps, through trade with the phoenicians

Languages are known to borrow elements to other languages especially if the latter are economically subdued to the former.

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 10:16 PM
link   
errr thats a link to the Brigham Young university

dum dum dum dum dum
images.southparkstudios.com...

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Want confirmation of a link between Hebrew and American Indians? Ask a Mormon.

Want confirmation of ancient astronauts? Ask a Scientologist.

Want confirmation that we are in the "End Times?" Ask Pat Robertson.

Want the truth? Don't read too much into what posters say here at ATS.

Harte

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Seeing as how all of the Western civilizations mentioned were metal workers and the American Indians were a stone age culture I doubt if they met at all. When the first westerners landed here the most prized trade goods to the natives were metal objects as they had no knowlage of them previously.

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 12:39 PM
link   

the American Indians were a stone age culture

errr
www.iwaynet.net...
Native Americans Melted, Cast Copper at 1,000 BC Site

and what about South America
the conquistadores didn't go on a crazy killing spree because the natives had high quality limestone jewellery

The expertise of westerners metal technology was superior but only as a result of constant large scale warfare
You don't need a musket to hunt buffalo
but it helps if you want to make them extinct
I for one will always mourn that loss as I like Elvis before me would happily kill people sometimes for a burger

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Marduk
The expertise of westerners metal technology was superior but only as a result of constant large scale warfare
I for one will always mourn that loss as I like Elvis before me would happily kill people sometimes for a burger

You are so true there about constant large scale warfare? Why? because English men are robbers, and now they use hands of Americans to rob for them.
They do have Robin Hood, don't they?

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Sorry to get off topic, and sorry if I misunderstand what you are saying but they aren't extinct. They actually have quite a lot in Wyoming (around 350,000 or so). And yes, you can have a buffalo burger, at least here in the Colorado Wyoming area. Really good actually. Very well worth the extra $1-3 most places charge for the honor.

[edit on 7-2-2007 by Cedhed]

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I didn't say they were extinct
but the advanced metal technology of westerners certainly almost made that happen

oh boy oh boy oh boy
I can't wait until I get to Wyoming

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Ahh, gotcha. Misunderstood what you were saying.

But yes Buffalo is definately worth it.

To keep things on topic: I would think it somewhat unlikely the romans and or Greeks made it over here. It's a very long voyage from the med to the Americas. Quite a ways out of their normal shipping routes.

[edit on 7-2-2007 by Cedhed]

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Ohboy. Linguistics!

During the last two decades many foreign historians and researches clearly found Greek words at the languages of Inca, Aztecs in the Southern and Central American, as well as the Pacific Ocean, Indonesia, New Guinea, Polynesia, Melanesia and Australia. Moreover from India and China to Japan not only greek words do exist, but also very ancient Greek naming of locations such as in Chine, whose southern region is called Yunan = Ionia etc.

I'm afraid that's an outright lie that you've been fed.

These "linguists" are not linguists. They are people who read language dictionaries and look for words that they think SOUND like the langauge they want to prove as the "great historical language."

A real linguist looks at the way words are built and where the word roots come from. If a language has many word roots in common with another, they are related. They must also have the same function... a verb in one language can't be a noun in another if the two are related.

Example:
In the original Greek, "onoma, onyma" mean "name". This went to the Latin with "nomi" and also meant "name." English, related to both, has name and nominal and nominate (all having to do with name and naming) and pseudonym (name again) -- used as the same parts of speech and in the same fashion.

And it's not just one word. It's a thousand and more words that follow that same thing... Latin and Greek roots that form a word in English, used in the same or a similar sense.

English IS related to Greek.

BUT... that is not what these "linguists" are doing. Their methods are to hunt through a dictionary to see what words are "sort of alike" and then say the two languages are related.

If I use THEIR methods, I can prove that Greeks learned their language from the Star Trek aliens, the Klingons -- just like this:

"Ghobe' " is Klingon for "no." A Greek word for "no" is "ochi" which sounds like the Klingon word. Therefore the Greeks learned the word from the Klingons.
The Klingon word "tangqa" means a tank-like animal and the Greeks have a word "tank" that means... tank. So therefore the Greeks learned their language from the Klingons.

I could make a dozen other examples, too, just by matching Klingon words and Greek words and then say the Greek language came from ancient Klingon space travelers.

Do you see how wrong that reasoning is?

That is why their statement that "these languages are related" is not to be trusted. And no linguist (person who really studies languages and can speak many languages easily) says that all those languages are related.

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Is this supposed to be humor? Can we have a second opinion as to whether this is actually humor or just a child attempting to gain the adults attention?

[edit on 7-2-2007 by LoneGunMan]

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 07:56 PM
link   

I didn't say they were extinct
but the advanced metal technology of westerners certainly almost made that happen

oh boy oh boy oh boy
I can't wait until I get to Wyoming

No try again. The tool had nothing to do with it.

Its called greed.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join