It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Hurricane Katrina Data & Resources Thread

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by valkeryie
Just a question, why are they not using the other lanes, what a waste of road space.

They do its called the CONTRAFLOW SYSTEM its this big plan that NO invented back when we had so many problems geting people out for Ivan. Its proablly on all of thoes local sites liek WWLTV . THey closed it down a wile back I cant remeber the exact reason

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Thanks for the kind words all...

However, I believe the superdome could be the worst place to be in this. That structure is rated for 200mph gusts not 180-200mph sustained winds. Hurricane Andrew swept aside many structures rated for 200+ gusts.

With a severe structural failure thousands may die. After all the stadium will be surrounded by storm surged water.

oy.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 03:12 PM
link   
It is like this storm came straight from hell. I have never seen a storm so deadly as this one. It could get even worse if the oil refineries and oil rigs are damaged badly, it could lead us into a recession. Hopefully Bush will tap into the US stockpile of oil to help with this.

I hope the people in the path of this storm will be safe.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Satellite Loop (Great)

Check that beast out, you can even see the swells in the gulf.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 03:35 PM
link   
these two buoys aren't reporting...could be very bad news
Shell Platform

Another Shell Platform

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Right now on the news they are talking about the fact that NO will be under water for weeks if this continues on the same course -- bringing up the concern that there will be coffins floating around also - so in addition to mold, mosquitos, chemicals you have a concern of diseases from bodies floating around.

That isn't something I had thought about.

They are saying they may need to set up a refugee camp north of the city for millions of people for months while they are trying to clean up -- the CDC is involved in this study.

SERIOUSLY SCARY!!

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nerdling
Thanks for the kind words all...

However, I believe the superdome could be the worst place to be in this. That structure is rated for 200mph gusts not 180-200mph sustained winds. Hurricane Andrew swept aside many structures rated for 200+ gusts.

With a severe structural failure thousands may die. After all the stadium will be surrounded by storm surged water.

oy.

From what I've seen/heard the Superdome is one of the recomended Emergency Centers used during these types of crisis as a safe haven.

Obviously, during a storm of this magnitude, as per my prior post regarding the National Weather Service release, there are few if any "safe havens".

again Nerdling . . . and all others who have posted SOOO much useful information.

I see Gazrok has posted a thread for Hurricane Supplies.

Hurricane Supplies and Tips

Here's a link to Port of New Orleans webcams:

LINK

They're not real-time, but do refresh regularly..... at least for now?!

[edit on 28-8-2005 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Winds now up to 175 mph, closing in. It looks as though Katrina is pushing North West [NW]

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 03:41 PM
link   
This is the BIG ONE! I can't believe, this morning i saw the storm on satellite and was blown away, it is now even stronger the latest pressure I've read is 902mb!

Get out of the way is all you can do for a storm like this. I hate to type it but I dont see how New Orleans won't be completly under water and then some after this one hits. The pressure is signficantly lower than Andrew and this may be an even stonger storm than Camille. Needless to say with the population explosion this one will be much more catastrophic.

My thoughts and prayers are with anyone who is in the path of this beast.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 03:51 PM
link   
A refugee camp for millions of American's displaced by Katrina? That couldnt come at a worse time. Avian Flu is on the prowl as we speak and it would get a toehold in those conditions rapidly. Very unsettling.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Just in, 165 mph. lowered. A lvl 5, should drop to a four when it hits land.

150miles accros (HURRICANE)

fourth srtongest hurricane, by pressure status.

I have advise, but you allready know.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 03:54 PM
link   
The pathogen count in the Superdome alone is going to be off the scale.

Americans in refugee camps? Can the population really handle images of that?

link   
I just images saw on the news with throngs of people waiting to board busses to get out of New Orleans. It may be too late, but do you think it is possible and reasonable to get some C-5s and C-130's in that area to evavaute anyone in need?

link   
So, what is our government (Federal, State, Local) doing to help people get out of NO?

I'm all for personal responsibility... but... people are sometimes forced by circumstances ... or just plain, dumb human nature... to live in inappropriate places with insufficient resources to deal with contingincies. (For example, a MUCH more trivial example - much hand wringing in the local paper here in San Diego about some bus routes being discontinued in back-country San Diego - retired people who have no cars, now stranded).

Why aren't there caravans of busses and ambulances LEAVING the SuperDome, transporting those who can be transported (e.g. nearly 100%) OUT of NO, rather than just bringing people there from around the city? Why do we not have an all-out mobilization of the National Guard and, yes, military, PRIOR to the disaster, doing something USEFUL for a change?

Shouldn't this have been a part of a well thought-out disaster plan for an area with a known potential for this sort of disaster?

I hope that the reason we are not hearing of this is simply because they do not want to publicize this, so as to minimize the use ofr resources by those who have other alternatives.

Sure, they will crank up the printing presses to produce greenbacks afterwards, to alleviate the financial disaster. I hope that we are also doing everything in our power NOW to avoid the loss of human life.

(jrod, great minds think alike.
We seem to have posted at the same time. Exactly my thought, though you managed to express it more succinctly,)

[edit on 28-8-2005 by Bay_Watcher]

[edit on 28-8-2005 by Bay_Watcher]

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by jrod
I just images saw on the news with throngs of people waiting to board busses to get out of New Orleans. It may be too late, but do you think it is possible and reasonable to get some C-5s and C-130's in that area to evavaute anyone in need?

They don't hold enough people, and panic will set in.

Originally posted by The Surrealist

150miles accros (HURRICANE)

fourth srtongest hurricane, by pressure status.

I have advise, but you allready know.

It's going through an eyewall replacement cycle. Fifth of the day actually, as it passes the warmer coastal water it will surge in strength again.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 03:57 PM
link   

The rain has just begun to fall around New Orleans.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 04:01 PM
link   
tornado warnings issued:
iwin.nws.noaa.gov...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MOBILE HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...

GEORGE COUNTY IN SOUTHEAST MISSISSIPPI
MOBILE COUNTY IN SOUTHWEST ALABAMA

* UNTIL 430 PM CDT

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 04:02 PM
link   
.I like the web cams Subz

[edit on 28/8/05 by The Surrealist]

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Surrealist

NO WAY!

The pressure fall indicates a storm that is strengthening. 902mb is the latest, even if it were to rise to about 920mb it would still be a borderline cat 5.

There are some extremly warm water temps, close to 90*F, ahead of it just before landfall, they should fuel one final big burst. I think sustained winds of 200mph with higher gusts are a real and scary possiblity.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 04:05 PM
link   

As you can see, the New Orlean's skyline was rapidly covered with torrential rainfall.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join