It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Hurricane Katrina Data & Resources Thread

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 01:09 AM
link   
As Hurricane Katrina heads towards New Orleans I have pooled a series of websites, feeds, webcams and local news affiliates.

www.nola.com
Project Storm Scenario

1) FIRST TO GO
Unprotected areas in Plaquemines Parish could flood first Monday.

2) THE BETSY SCENARIO
Hurricane force winds are projected to top levees in eastern New Orleans, pushing water into the 9th Ward, the Michoud area and even into Mid-City.

3) SLIDELL SOAKED
Large parts of Slidell could be inundated by 10-11 foot storm surges.

4) PUMPED-UP LAKE
Easterly winds in advance of the storm could pump water from Lake Borgne and from Breton and Chandeleur sounds into Lake Pontchartrain, raising the lake’s surface by 12 feet.

5) OVER THE TOP
Waves equal to half the surge height or more would top the surge water and could overtop levees on the south shore of Lake Pontchartrain and around Chalmette.

6) GOING ASHORE
As Katrina moves inland and the winds come from the north, the high Lake Pontchartrain waters could stream across St. Charles Parish and turn east along Airline Highway into Kenner.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The National Hurricane Centre

NHC Public Advisory #20
REPORTS FROM AN AIR FORCE RECONNAISSANCE AIRCRAFT INDICATE THAT
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS HAVE INCREASED AND ARE NOW NEAR 145
MPH...WITH HIGHER GUSTS. KATRINA IS A CATEGORY FOUR HURRICANE ON
THE SAFFIR-SIMPSON SCALE. SOME ADDITIONAL STRENGTHENING IS POSSIBLE
TODAY.

HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 70 MILES...110 KM...
FROM THE CENTER...AND TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP
TO 160 MILES...260 KM.

THE MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE RECENTLY REPORTED BY THE RECONNAISSANCE
AIRCRAFT WAS 935 MB...27.61 INCHES.

COASTAL STORM SURGE FLOODING OF 15 TO 20 FEET ABOVE NORMAL TIDE
LEVELS...LOCALLY AS HIGH AS 25 FEET ALONG WITH LARGE AND DANGEROUS
BATTERING WAVES...CAN BE EXPECTED NEAR AND TO THE EAST OF WHERE THE
CENTER MAKES LANDFALL.

HEAVY RAINS FROM KATRINA SHOULD BEGIN TO AFFECT THE CENTRAL GULF
COAST SUNDAY EVENING. RAINFALL TOTALS OF 5 TO 10 INCHES...WITH
ISOLATED MAXIMUM AMOUNTS OF 15 INCHES...ARE POSSIBLE ALONG THE PATH
OF KATRINA. THE HURRICANE IS STILL EXPECTED TO PRODUCE ADDITIONAL
RAINFALL AMOUNTS OF 2 TO 4 INCHES OVER EXTREME WESTERN CUBA...AND 1
TO 3 INCHES OF RAINFALL IS EXPECTED OVER THE YUCATAN PENINSULA.

Track Map
Storm Surge Projection Analysis

Weather Data
Satellite Feed
New Orleans Radar
Mobile Radar
Satellite
Wind Probability Chart

www.nhc.noaa.gov...
Katrina XML Feed

Live Webcams
Bourbon Street, New Orleans Live Webcam
Karaoke Webcam (Scary)
Quarter Cam - Good Live Aerial Shot
Bridge Camera
OysterCam

Local Authorities
City of New Orleans Emergency Preparedness
Local Airports
[url=http://www.flymsy.com]Louis Armstrong International Airport

Local Television
FOX Affiliate
ABC Affiliate
CBS Affiliate
NBC Affiliate
Related News Links:
www.alertnet.org
www.nzherald.co.nz
www.bocaratonnews.com
www.marketwatch.com

[edit on 28-8-2005 by Nerdling]

[edit on 30-8-2005 by John bull 1]

[edit on 4-9-2005 by John bull 1]

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 01:27 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 01:33 AM
link   
I have a really bad feeling about this storm...New Orleans, like Amsterdam, is below sea level and is especially vulnerable to storms like this. If it hits in the right direction it could almost obliterate the city.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 01:41 AM
link   
The Worst Case Scenario for a Hurricane strike on New Orleans is 10-15 miles West of the City.

Looks like its going to be like that.

The projected storm surge is 18-20 feet. I doubt the levee's will handle it.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
I have a really bad feeling about this storm...New Orleans, like Amsterdam, is below sea level and is especially vulnerable to storms like this. If it hits in the right direction it could almost obliterate the city.

I have to agree. As Ive said in another post. I think this will be the biggest hurricane in my life time as far as the destruction is concerned. With 300 miles left for it to stregthen, and the warmest water still ahead of it. A cat 5 is very likely.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 05:58 AM
link   
The latest images show an amazingly defined eye...I haven't seen so well an organized tropical system in a long time...I think this one will be a big one, let's just hope people are prepared for it.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 06:25 AM
link   
According to FOX News hurricane Katrina is now a Category Five hurricane with sustained winds over 160 MPH.

This thing is a monster.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 09:51 AM
link   
CNN just reported 175 mph....

God help us.....

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Weather channel is putting maximum sustained winds at 175 and the storm is accelerating in speed so it might hit sooner than expected tomorrow. Has anyone heard the tide at the time of it hitting - praying for a low tide it might help some. And if the sustained winds are at 175 mph what the heck are the gusts up to??

Seriously any members in the area they are forcasting this storm hitting -- take a road trip -- get out of town. This is not going to be good.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 10:12 AM
link   
it's gusting up to 215mph
the last I heard

and yeah i'm think landfall will be earlier than expected.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I think the very interesting cams to watch are going to be the QuarterCam, BridgeCam and RiverCam.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Not only is this a timely thread for all those within the 'cone of danger', it is also a textbook example of how a thread should be built for ATS (as per RANTs latest thread). We can all learn from this...me included (lol).

Thanks for providing such an excellent group of links for us all to maintain preparedness as we watch Mother Nature give an uppercut to this continent.

If I had any votes left to applaud you with, you would certainly deserve it.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Great post Nerdling. Are you in the New Orleans area? Anyone post in the New Orleans area. I am and I'm not too happy about it.

Lily

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 11:24 AM
link   
LadyLily you have my prayers. If you are seriously planning on riding out Katrina, please visit these threads for valuable information and tips.
Hurricane Katrina
Hurricane Supplies and Tips

I am getting sadder by the minute

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Lady Lily where exactly are you located in NO -- we know where Mizar is and how concerned we are about him -- we would like to be able to watch your area also -- If there is any way at all you can leave -- do it -- as I stated in the other thread -- Even the Red Cross is leaving and they head towards disasters to help so that tells you how bad they think it will be.

BTW nerdling

You have voted Nerdling for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have one more vote left for this month.

looks like all my Way Aboves will be Katrina related this month. Excellent thread - thank you

[edit on 28-8-2005 by justme1640]

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Thanks for the prayers. We need them. I'm not in NO, I'm north of the lake (above I-12) in Covington. We aren't under any evacuation. I have 4 dogs (one large) so, it would be very difficult for me to leave. I'm scared to death. Nothing this bad has ever hit NO.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 12:04 PM
link   
The Mayor of NO has said they are estimating that the water could be 35 feet deep in parts of the city and that it could take days to weeks to get rid of it. And The Weather Channel is saying that the water levels will be 20-25 feet coming into the city and going over the levees.

Storm surges of up to 28 feet topped by waves up to 30 feet were possible in some areas, hurricane center meteorologist Chris Sisko said. Camille has the record for storm surges at 24 feet.

They are saying that the entire city will be under water now on the news . That the levee system was set up for a catagory 3 hurricane -- and it won't help much with this storm.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 12:46 PM
link   
i don't like saying this but.....

expect a death toll beyond that of 9/11 if people attempt to "ride it out".

you cannot approach an extreme category five storm with the "i'll stay inside" mentality; once a 200 m.p.h gust hits most structures THERE IS NO MORE INSIDE

the insurance industry does not need this...

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Man.. I've never in my life seen a hurricane so solid and profound..

Satelitte image of the Eye.. you can see straight down to the water... scary

Latest High Resolution NOAA picture

[edit on 8/28/2005 by QuietSoul]

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I like Indy's idea, sometimes pictures speak louder than words
Category 5 Andrew destruction in Miami
external image
GET OUT, SEEK EMERGENCY SHELTER, especially if you are in New Orleans or Biloxi. Don't ride out a Category 5.

[edit on 8-28-2005 by worldwatcher]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join