It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anunnaki

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I'm not even sure if this is the right board, but I'll put it here.

I've been reading up on the Anunnaki lately, and I really only have one question, and it's probably a very obvious one...

Did Tolkien base the gods in the Silmarillion on the gods of the Sumerians? A few of the names bear a vague resemblance, and the whole "father of all" thing with Tolkien's lead god, and Anu being the father of all the Anunnaki council...

I'm probably not being clear enough, but I don't really know how to be any clearer about it...

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Richard_corey

Did Tolkien base the gods in the Silmarillion on the gods of the Sumerians? A few of the names bear a vague resemblance, and the whole "father of all" thing with Tolkien's lead god, and Anu being the father of all the Anunnaki council...

Probably not. If memory serves, Tolkein was a professor of Medeival Literature and Mythology, or something like that. I have always heard that much the basis for his fantasy lies in Norse mythology, and other European mythological influences.

Harte

[edit on 8/28/2005 by Harte]

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 12:37 PM
link   
From my studies, it seems that all ancient mythology has the same basis, numerology, and hierarchy (with some variations). This is probably due to the fact of the Atlantis survivors trying to pass on information to the rest of the world (who was not yet connected). The numbers being dates and cosmological timing (such as years, precession, etc) and maps. Of course, I base my information on Hapgood, Buaval, Hancock, and th elike, so.....many people don't take it to heart.

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by FallenOne
This is probably due to the fact of the Atlantis survivors trying to pass on information to the rest of the world (who was not yet connected).... Of course, I base my information on Hapgood, Buaval, Hancock, and th elike, so.....many people don't take it to heart.

There never was any Atlantis. Therefore no Atlantis survivors. So you sure got that last part right.

You should try the search function to see what hundreds of people here have to say about Atlantis. It could change your mind.

Harte

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Richard_corey
Did Tolkien base the gods in the Silmarillion on the gods of the Sumerians?

No, he based it on the old Viking (Norse) mythology, of which he was a great fan.

"Tolkien was very well acquainted with the northern mythos, as can be seen by the use of it in his books. The name of one of his main characters, Gandalf, is found in The Poetic Edda. Gandalf is, in some ways, reminiscent of Odin, the leader of the Norse pantheon. Even the name Middle-earth, the setting for Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings, comes from Norse mythology. "

Quote from www.ugcs.caltech.edu...

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Norse mythos drew from Greece and the Greeks borrowed from the Sumarians/Egyptians and this is probably the reason for overlapping themes, names and similiarities. Myths draw on myths et al.

Tolkien was strongly influenced by Anglo-Saxon literature, Germanic and Norse mythologies, Finnish folklore, the Bible, and Greek mythology. Other inspirations included Babylon and Egypt. The works most often cited as sources for Tolkien's stories include Beowulf, Kalevala, the Poetic Edda, Plato's Atlantis, Volsunga saga and the Hervarar saga (www.tolkiensociety.org...).

Tolkien himself acknowledged Homer and Oedipus as influences or sources for some of his stories and ideas. His borrowings also came from numerous Middle English works and poems.

In antiquity, authors like Herodotus speculated that the Greeks had borrowed their gods wholesale from the Egyptians. Later, Christian writers would attempt to explain Hellenic paganism as a degeneration of Biblical religion. In the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, however, the sciences of archaeology and linguistics were brought to bear on the origins of Greek mythology.

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Wow, thanks...

You've all been very helpful!

And neither of you should be so sure about the existance of Atlantis. It may have, it may not have. There're any number of ways it could have disappeared entirely, or been just a story.

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Regenmacher
Norse mythos drew from Greece and the Greeks borrowed from the Sumarians/Egyptians and this is probably the reason for overlapping themes, names and similiarities. Myths draw on myths et al.

Tolkien was strongly influenced by Anglo-Saxon literature, Germanic and Norse mythologies, Finnish folklore, the Bible, and Greek mythology. Other inspirations included Babylon and Egypt. The works most often cited as sources for Tolkien's stories include Beowulf, Kalevala, the Poetic Edda, Plato's Atlantis, Volsunga saga and the Hervarar saga (www.tolkiensociety.org...).

Tolkien himself acknowledged Homer and Oedipus as influences or sources for some of his stories and ideas. His borrowings also came from numerous Middle English works and poems.

In antiquity, authors like Herodotus speculated that the Greeks had borrowed their gods wholesale from the Egyptians. Later, Christian writers would attempt to explain Hellenic paganism as a degeneration of Biblical religion. In the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, however, the sciences of archaeology and linguistics were brought to bear on the origins of Greek mythology.

Has anyone considered the Greek myths of the Olympians and Titans might have been later stories retold about the Annunaki Elohim?

They do have alot in common!

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Tolkien as previously stated was into anglo-saxon/old english literature. He wanted to create a mythology for England. I think Regenmacher stated it best where Tolkien got hist stuff from. In my opinion, Tolkien was a genious (im a tolkien-geek lol)

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by PennKen2009
Tolkien as previously stated was into anglo-saxon/old english literature. He wanted to create a mythology for England. I think Regenmacher stated it best where Tolkien got hist stuff from. In my opinion, Tolkien was a genious (im a tolkien-geek lol)

I really dont understand what your saying?..What does Tolkien have in common with the Anunnaki? or the Greek gods?

I just think that both myths come from the same place..and can even be found in the bible.

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 09:24 PM
link   
tolkiens stuff didnt come from the bible or greek mythology, he made it up all himself. He said himself in one of his many letters that he did. Anyways, i dont know what he has to do with the annunaki or whatever it is, the guy who started this thread brought tolkien up.

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I am just bringing this thread back, but in a new light. Since 2012 is nearing, and Y2K has passed, and 2003 has passed, do you think there is something about that calendar that the Myans made, and the interpretations of Stichin? I am facinated with the Anunnaki belief. It's interesting how that belief system is found in many sacred texts. It's not that hard to comprehend, if you're open minded. Isn't it intersting how Angels are closely related to a Description of the Anunnaki Nords. Anyhow, when is 1Anunnaki coming out?

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Intersting

It is interesting that we do not learn more about the roots of organized civilization and not too much research is performed accordingly. I do not understand why. This link I agree with entirely!

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 04:27 PM
link   
somebody
please shoot me now

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Marduk
somebody
please shoot me now

I believe the Anunnaki are the same as the Watchers, Igigi, Egregore, etc.

Egregore

"From The Aquarian Message:

"Eliphas Levi commits the mistake of commenting about an apocryphal document of Enoch, and falsely judging the twenty Egregores who descended upon Ardis, which is the top of the Mount Armon and dogmatically condemning them by qualifying them as demons... Azasel is an Egregore who gave great assistance to humanity. Azasel was the king Solomon. Actually, the Bodhisattva of Azasel is fallen, but it is logical that, in the close future, this Bodhisattva will rise from the clay of the earth again. All the angels of families, angels of countries, angels of tribes, etc. are Egregores.

We find written in the Theosophical Glossary of H.P.B the following:

"Egregores" from the Greek Egregori, "watcher." Eliphas Levi calls them "the chiefs of the souls who are the spirits of energy and action"; whatever that may or may not mean. The Oriental Occultists describe the Egregores as "Beings whose bodies and essence is a tissue of the so-called Astral Light. They are the shadows (Bodhisattvas) of the higher Planetary Spirits whose bodies are of the essence of the higher divine light." The Book of Enoch gives the name Egregores to the angels who married the daughters of Seth and who begot with them giants as children."

[edit on 7-2-2007 by Tamahu]

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 04:55 PM
link   
the watchers are the angels according to Enoch
the Grigori is simply another name for them
the IGIGI are the sumerian upper classes who the watchers and the Grigori are based on
the anunnaki were not aliens and in fact do not exist
don't believe me ??
heres a link to a searchable database of Sumerian texts
www-etcsl.orient.ox.ac.uk...
type annunaki into the search box and press Go
see how far it gets you
after a while you might want to try "Anuna" and you will start to make progress
the term Annunaki was entirely fabricated by Zechariah Sitchin in the mid 1970s to sell his books to gullible people who couldn't be bothered to check the facts for themselves
his translations have not only shown to be wrong on countless occaisons but he has also been caught publically lying about pretty much everything
i.e. he often publically claims to be a linguist yet does not hold any linguistic qualifications
he also claims to be a historian but actually holds a qualification in Economics history which is a completely different field
Economics history is great in one area
it tells you what people will happily pay money for

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Marduk
the term Annunaki was entirely fabricated by Zechariah Sitchin

I wasn't aware of this.

Whatever they are called, my point is that they are the "Watchers".

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tamahu
Whatever they are called, my point is that they are the "Watchers".

Actually, they're the gods of the Sumerian religion. They aren't "Watchers", aren't giants (they were human sized), were not subordinate to any god, had a variety of different powers, they manipulated events and changed the landscape, and were worshipped by cities and nations.

The "Watchers" are Biblical (Book of Enoch) and angelic. They are subordinate to Jehovah, have no omnipotent powers, do not manipulate events and landscape, have no names, and were not worshipped.

The web page you cited isn't up to date on Sumerian things, I'm afraid. No, these people didn't think their knowledge was handed to them by aliens or star beings. And they loved astronomy and tracked the movement of the planets they could see. They had reasonably sophisticated calculations (using basic math) and could do things like calculate the volume of water (or grain) in vases of different sizes.

They were good engineers, too, and may have been the first to lay out and dig an efficient system of canals.

I'd like to suggest that you start with the Wikipedia articles. They'll give you a better insight:
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
The web page you cited isn't up to date on Sumerian things, I'm afraid.

And I didn't say that it is.

It just happens that I was under the impression that the Igigi are the same as the Egregore as explained by Occultists(Eliphas Levi, H.P. Blavatsky, Samael Aun Weor, etc.).

Gods and Angels are basically the same thing.

The Arch-Angels are Elohim.

The Neteru("Gods") of Khemet are agents of the One All-Encompassing Neter.

For example, the "Angel" Orifiel is none other, Kabbalistically, than the "God" Seker.

The "Angel" Samael and the "God" Heru-Khuti are basically the same.

Of course there are some differences.

But essentially they are the same.

Regards

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Marduk

en.wikipedia.org...

It looks like Zechariah Sitchin simply transliterated it differently.

Not to say that I agree with his conclusions of course.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join