It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is a freedom?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 10:30 PM
link   
One major point of contention here on ATS is whether or not we have lost freedoms. I just want to know what exactly a freedom is? What exactly are these freedoms that we have available to us as Americans? Is there a definitive list? If there isnt and these freedoms are more a matter of opinion rather then substance then how can we say with any degree of certainty that we have'nt lost freedoms?

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 04:09 AM
link   
i dont understand, do you believe u have or have not lost your freedome, i canadian its 2am im stoned and i cant read too good.

in anycase dosn't matter as an american you have the right to sell your soul to marketing or get trampled and spat on by those who have. jj...whell kinda...not really...agh i goin to bed

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 11:52 AM
link   
There is no such thing as Freedom in our world. If there REALLY is freedom, we don't even have the most basic thing that goven us in our daily lives. Which is LAW.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Freedom is choice, option. The ability to make a decision without having parameters for that decision dictated to you by someone or something else. That to me is freedom is the shortest possible explanation. Every time you drop that ballot in (personal bias against voting aside) your exercising freedom through choice, when you decide what house you want to buy for your family to live in, thats a decision connected with freedom. The ability to think what you want and make decisons based on that is what I consider true freedom to be, not something you can embody with a symbol of a country or even a document, but something you feel in your bones and in your heart.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Freedom is the mustard on the hot dog.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 06:32 PM
link   
No such thing as freedom, we are bound by the laws of the universe and ways of this world. Freedom is like tommorow, it seems its there in front of us yet we can never touch it.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Freedom, as our founding fathers so eloquently argued, is endowed by the creator, and as such can never truly be infringed upon. Sure there might be those who wish to limit your freedoms, however one is free to oppose said measures any step of the way.

Why are you asking what freedom is, what has been taken away, and what can be taken away? No man can take away what the creator has endowed you with!

Sure you might give them up, due to fear or whatever, but that is your fault and your fault alone!

Quit thinking our government is what gives us freedoms...If you are from the US then you should know that the government does not grant us these, the creator does!

Did our founding fathers care if it was within their rights to create a new nation? No! Did they fear the reprecussions of their actions? No! Live free or die means something wether or not you want to realize it. We all have that choice at every moment of our lives.

Freedom is living as God intended you to, despite what others try to say, or do to stop you!

Your freedom can only be taken away as long as you allow it .

Sure there might be those who are more than willing to take your life for exercising your freedoms, but it is only the faint of heart that allow this to impede their actions. Even if one dies for their beliefs, they still had the option to do so...always have, and always will.

Freedom does not mean that you can do whatever you want without any consequences, on the contrary-Freedom means that you do whatever you want, DESPITE the consequences.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by boogyman
One major point of contention here on ATS is whether or not we have lost freedoms. I just want to know what exactly a freedom is? What exactly are these freedoms that we have available to us as Americans? Is there a definitive list? If there isnt and these freedoms are more a matter of opinion rather then substance then how can we say with any degree of certainty that we have'nt lost freedoms?

First of all, I'm not sure how much freedom you Americans have. (There are a lot of Europeans among us here)

The freedom i have, is being able to write things here on ATS. Try doing that in Iraq. You would have no chance, even now.

Our freedom is open to debate, depending on what you call "freedom".
Are we tied by our countries rules of freedom of speech? Maybe sometimes depending on how you perceive things.

At the end of day, we have far more liberties than most middle eastern countries. Lets not forget that one......

new topics

top topics

join