It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Target New Orleans, But Entire Gulf Coast Beware

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 08:16 PM
link   
The scenario is being set for a massive disaster if Hurricane Katrina continues on it's currently projected path into New Orleans as Category 4 or higher storm. Residents in low lying areas in several parishes of Louisiana are under mandatory evacuations and many parishes are under voluntary evacuations. While many are taking heed to the warning, by fleeing the city, many others are seemingly unaware of the monster storm heading their way. At least two interstates in Louisiana and Mississippi were changed into Northbound only traffic to alleviate the traffic jam for evacuees. While New Orleans is in the center of the "cone of error", all residents along the Gulf Coast need to watch this storm closely and prepare now.

news.yaho o.com
"Ladies and gentlemen, this is not a test. This is the real deal," New Orleans Mayor C. Ray Nagin said at a news conference. "Board up your homes, make sure you have enough medicine, make sure the car has enough gas. Do all things you normally do for a hurricane but treat this one differently because it is pointed towards New Orleans."

Katrina was a Category 3 storm with 115 mph sustained wind Saturday, but the National Hurricane Center said it was likely to gain force over the Gulf of Mexico, where the surface water temperature was as high as 90 degrees — high-octane fuel for hurricanes. It could become a Category 4 monster with wind of at least 131 mph before reaching land early Monday.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

A mandatory evacuation for the city of New Orleans has not been issued as of yet, but the Mayor of the city, does plan on making that decision tomorrow morning and using the Superdome as an evacuation center. It is frightening to hear the head of the National Hurricane Center, Max Mayfield say that this hurricane and inevitable landfall is "scary". Do not underestimate the power of hurricanes, regardless of where the center of this storm hits, the entire Gulf region will be feeling effects of Katrina. Power outages are likely and will be widespread. Be prepared for the worst and hope for the best. Good Luck New Orleans.
Louisiana Hurricane Effects Study

Related News Links:
www.kansascity.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Hurricane Katrina

[edit on 29-8-2005 by John bull 1]

[edit on 30-8-2005 by John bull 1]

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 08:44 PM
link   
external image

Most models are in agreement of the general direction of where Katrina is heading, if you live anywhere along that area, please leave, a Category 4 or higher is not a storm to ride out.

[edit on 29-8-2005 by John bull 1]

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 09:59 PM
link   
WARNING: To Everyone living well inland, in states such as Oklahoma, Arkansas, Georgia, The Carolinas, Tenessee and Kentucky, please keep your eye on Katrina. You will be affected. Be prepared to stay indoors, have your disaster kit ready. Torrential downpours will likely cause trees to uproot and widespread power outages. You don't have to be anywhere near the eye to feel the effects of a hurricane. You also have time to prepare and stock up on essentials or start that disaster kit you have always meant to start.

Inland Flooding From Hurricanes
Some of the most damaging floods after a hurricane occur hundreds of miles from the coast.
The Inland Risk; FACTS

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 10:05 PM
link   
they say if New Orleans recieved a direct hit from a major storm the french quarter could be under 20 feet of water. I went to New Orleans in 78 for Mati Gras...I seem to recall I had a good time...I remember arriving and I remember leaving but that is about it but I wasn't robbed, shot or caught any funny diseases...of course a pocket full of pot and acid helped alot LOL...be that as it may, after San Fransisco, Los Angles and New York, it is the only throughly decandant place America has (Washington D.C. doesn't count, it aint decandant, just corrupt) and it would be a pity to lose it.

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
WARNING: To Everyone living well inland, in states such as Oklahoma, Arkansas, Georgia, The Carolinas, Tenessee and Kentucky, please keep your eye on Katrina. You will be affected. Be prepared to stay indoors, have your disaster kit ready. Torrential downpours will likely cause trees to uproot and widespread power outages. You don't have to be anywhere near the eye to feel the effects of a hurricane. You also have time to prepare and stock up on essentials or start that disaster kit you have always meant to start.

Yes please, do heed this warning Katrina caused a lot of damage as a storm in south Florida, I can't imagine what it will do as a category 3 or 4 hurricane.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 12:57 AM
link   
i leave for houston tomorrow, and i hope my house isnt underwater when i return. god be with us all.

and grover, i resent those comments about new orleans and its spelled mardi gras

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Its official, its a cat 4 now, with winds of 145 mph. And still over 300 miles til it reaches land fall, and the warmest waters are still ahead. I think this will be the biggest hurricane in my life time, as far as the destruction She will cause.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 02:09 AM
link   
definitely worst i will ever have seen.

the rains have just begun, pray for us. this ones gonna be a record breaker.

[edit on 28/8/2005 by Kitsunegari]

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Last info I heard is sustained winds now at 150 MPH, I can't see how this couldn't be a Cat 5 by the time it hits. I just hope people in New Orleans and adjacent areas are taking it seriously...according to what I've seen on TV, they aren't yet, preparing more for hurricane parties than an actual killer hurricane

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kitsunegari

and grover, i resent those comments about new orleans and its spelled mardi gras

I wish you luck and Godspeed...and as for my comments about New Orleans, they were meant affectionatly, America needs places like New Orleans, we take ourselves way too seriously as it is.

Again all my prayers go out to the people of New Orleans and Louisana...and if a blessing does come out of all this, maybe the storm will drown all those Asian termites.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Hurricane Katrina is now a category 5 storm with sustained winds of 160 MPH...

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Is there a link? I am still reading cat 4.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Never mind I found one:

www.weather.com...

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Inland Flooding From Hurricanes
Some of the most damaging floods after a hurricane occur hundreds of miles from the coast.
The Inland Risk; FACTS

EFFECTS of CATEGORY 5 MONSTER WILL BE FELT WELL INLAND FOR DAYS TO COME!!!!! COASTAL RESIDENTS EVACUATE NOW!!!

[edit on 8-28-2005 by worldwatcher]

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 08:53 AM
link   
All of New Orleans will Be Under water, the whole city is taking a swim maybe the state.

The perfect storm is comimg hot and heavy. Please leave.

[edit on 28-8-2005 by SpittinCobra]

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 10:02 AM
link   

NEW ORLEANS - Mayor Ray Nagin ordered an immediate mandatory evacuation Sunday for all of New Orleans, a city of 485,000 people, as Hurricane Katrina bore down with 160 mph wind. Ten emergency shelters were set up, including the Superdome.

Yahoo! news

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Kit: Good luck and I hope everything turns out okay. I hope no one you know gets hurt. Are you in Houston yet?

This storm seems terrible. Category 5. Wow! Weather has sure been wacky lately.

[edit on 023131p://28082 by cpr12r]

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 04:58 PM
link   

www.spc.noaa.gov...

sorry bout that
This is the current warning and watches that have been issued, wide spread effects.

[edit on 8-28-2005 by worldwatcher]

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Good luck everyone. I really hope it veers off path.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 06:16 PM
link   
some people, heard on cnn call it category 51/2 wee are screwd

well new orleans, plz god dont let it flood or destroy my house

top topics

<<   2 >>

join