It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

From Russia With Love (Area51)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 01:06 PM
link   
While travelling abroad, in Russia, I found myself in an interesting situation.

I was travelling by way of plane. As I glanced at the person sitting next to me, something in his newspaper caught my attention. I saw some strikingly familiar pictures. It occured to me that they were the same pictures of "Area 51" that circulate on the web and in the states. Most of us have seen them more than we can count. Although I cannot read Russian, I could see the number "51" several times on the page, and also in the title.

It struck me that there was such an article on the front page of some Russian newspaper.

I personally believe that "Area 51" is a misinformation campaign led by the US Gov. But it just shows that for whatever reason, the conspiracy even made it's way to a very remote region in Russia.

What do you people think about this little event?

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Intersting, but the US government has maintained Area 51 a bad secret for that very reason. Sure back in the 60's it was a secret but the advent of satelite imagery changed all of that.

That just goes to show that there is one human traint that is universal: Curiosity.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Well Area 51 isn't new to the Russian Government. The KGB has known about Area 51 since 1950's or 1960's (Not sure which). So, the Secret work both ways. The KGB just like the CIA is an Intelligence agency. Intelligence is about spying and stealing secrets my friend. It works both ways!

Tim

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 12:37 AM
link   
I am surprised no one remembers who made the satelite photos public! Russia! I remember the first time I saw a picture of Area 51 was on a cover of 2600 mag or black listed 411 years ago and stated how Russia picked it up on satelite etc etc. Sure took them long enough to find it or long enough to leak it..good thought however why would they leak it!? We don't have bad blood with them maybe we told them to leak it so while all of you are looking we are building something bigger,better and oh so much more dangerous in a different local....just a thought

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 11:04 AM
link   
The speculation in this thread is drowning me. Since you couldn't read Russian at the time, we'll not know what that particular story was about. It could have been about anything. End of story. A Russian newspaper need not "ask permission" of anyone to publish an interest or exposé article about Area 51. Nor must bad relations exist between the US and Russia for an independant Russian newspaper to publish a story about an American curiosity.

Zip

[edit on 9/16/2005 by Zipdot]

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by omega1

I personally believe that "Area 51" is a misinformation campaign led by the US Gov. But it just shows that for whatever reason, the conspiracy even made it's way to a very remote region in Russia.

What do you people think about this little event?

If your talking about Area 51 in regards to U.F.Os and Aliens then you could have a very good case that its a misinformation campaign in that aspect.

Area 51 as a testing area for advanced aircraft is quite real though. They dont have the longest runway in the world for nothing. Though many people in the public know about Area 51 people dont know jack as to whats going on there. Security and secrecy for projects there is top notch.

They know when every satelite Russian or private is over head and how long it going to be over head. You will never see anything in a satelite picture of area 51 that they didnt want you to see.

People have speculated for along time that Area 51 was moved or abandoned (thanks in large part to a PM article) and because the base is known to the public. But theres really no reason to move it as you are never going to be able to hide a runway that large in this day in age. But it dont really matter if people can get pictures of the runway and buildings. The important factor is the projects and those are still very secret.

Since the Popular Mechanics article Area 51 has infact expanded

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Exactly, Area 51 has got a 6 mile long runway, which is very long, as even a 747 does not need that much, something like 1 or 2, (maybe 3) miles is necessary. It has to be there for fast jets, no doubt about it. If you see a picture it has massive skidmarks from the rubber tyres of the jets so:
Long runway = fast jet, delta wing Super/Hypersonic aircraft eg Aurora, Tr-3 A or B, anything you want.

Its a fair point.
Anyway anyone can write about Area 51, the problem is those who fool everyone that it has aliens there, ie the U.S. government.

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by apex
Exactly, Area 51 has got a 6 mile long runway, which is very long, as even a 747 does not need that much, something like 1 or 2, (maybe 3) miles is necessary.

Yeah its a massive runway the space shuttle could easily land there even without the use of its braking parachute. Way over the room needed for any known aircraft.

I guess it could easily be used as a emergency runway for the shuttle if the astronauts could get high enough clearance

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 02:55 AM
link   
I belive the runway is for loaded up Transport planes. The Landing distance differs depending on how much gear you have got, also if brakes fail or tire blows you have to buckle down and pray you stop before the end of the runway.

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 06:45 PM
link   
You know, they could have been talking about a Russian Area 51. There's a good chance that Russia has something of the like. If any of you have read the Area 51 series by Robert Doherty he mentions a Russian Area 51 called Section IV very offten. It was seppaerate from the KGB and GRU and stationed near some island used for testing nuclear warheads. Maybe somebody found evidence of it?

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Theres suppose to be a base on in the Yamantau area of Russia, that has been called Russia's Area 51. Not much is known about it though.

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 05:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
Theres suppose to be a base on in the Yamantau area of Russia, that has been called Russia's Area 51. Not much is known about it though.

You're talking about the Saratov base. It seems to be a nuclear weapons base. Take a look: Saratov Air Base

Tim

top topics

join