It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraq's 'Pop Idol' show 'Iraqi Star' an instant hit on Iraqi Televison (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Over 2000 young Iraqi musicians signed up for auditions for the show, an effort to lift the spirits of a people mired in a struggle for their existence. The show is proving very popular, and there have been some particularly wrenching performances given by children torn by the recent events in their beloved country.

www.alertnet.org
Iraq "Pop Idol" offers escape from daily grind
21 Aug 2005 13:01:00 GMT

REUTERS/Atef Hassan By Andrew Hammond

BAGHDAD, Aug 21 (Reuters) - When their electricity isn't zapped by daily power cuts, Iraqis can pretend they live in a normal country with a normal cultural life by tuning into the Iraqi version of "Pop Idol".

Despite collapsing public services and the constant threat of death, more than 2,000 young Iraqis signed up for the talent show when al-Sumeria TV announced the venture earlier this year.

Many Iraqis already obsessively watch "American Idol", a version of the original British "Pop Idol" franchise, and a glitzy Lebanese copy called "Arab Superstar" on free-to-air Arabic satellite channels.

But "Iraq Star" is a brave indigenous effort to perk up the spirits of a depressed nation. The studio set is spartan and drab, and there is no studio audience, though viewers are being promised tinseltown touches when the finale is held in Beirut.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Our diplomacy isn't winning them over, but our culture may. This is a good example of offering the benefit of our true expertise to the Iraqi people. The more they feel empowered and uplifted, the less they will be inclined to homicide bomb our troops.

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I think this could almost fall under "propaganda". It seems odd to me that a country in that much turmoil would have this. It has to much of that "feel good" quality to it. I mean, what does the winner get? a hundred bucks and an IED?

Im on the rail with this. I dont know if its a good idea or not. Do these people need anymore fantasy in their life? They need a reality show or two there. Not Iraqi Idol.....(just MHO)

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 11:18 AM
link   
How is this not a War Crime?

THAT IS ALL I ASK!

We must exterminate reality tv before it consumes every last one of us.

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I mean a reality show of what the soldiers do and endure everyday there. Not some show of false hope for these peoples. Theyve had enough of that.

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I admit I'm a little tongue in cheek with this article, and it is meant to lighten the somber mood surrounding the glum atmosphere that permeates the 'war on terror', and introduce what may be a hopeful note for future peace.

We all need a break from the daily grind of IEDs and terror attacks and bombings and airstrikes and armored sweeps of 'hotbeds of insurgent activity', don't you think? We need to re-group, re-evaluate, and regain our focus on solutions to this ongoing crisis.

new topics

top topics

join