It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone ID this passenger jet from USAF? (2 Pics)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 07:18 AM
link   
This passenger jet from USAF was photographed landing in EFHK (Helsinki, Finland) on 19.08.05. Does anyone know what it's purpose may have been? I'm curious because of the recent uproar about the secret prisoner transfers landing in Norway and such.
On the other hand, maybe it was just a bored diplomat going for a joyride, any info is appreciated.

Note: Images are not mine, are copyrighted and used with permission. Do not copy.

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Greetings,

There was some thing about this aircraft a month or two back in a few avation mags, from what I can recall, its either for Counter Terror units, to move around or for SPECOP unit support, it isn't in the USAF order of battle either, I will try to run down the article.

- Phil

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Hmm, I can't say, I'am more of a fighter type, I'll look into it...

And hey, Finland rulez...!!!!!

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by gooseuk
Greetings,

There was some thing about this aircraft a month or two back in a few avation mags, from what I can recall, its either for Counter Terror units, to move around or for SPECOP unit support, it isn't in the USAF order of battle either, I will try to run down the article.

- Phil

That sounds kind of weird. A local rumor said that the people it was carrying visited the local nuclear power plants. I'm getting paranoid

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 10:13 AM
link   
It is a Boeing 737. I am guessing it is just a transport plane for a diplomat.

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Anyone ID this passenger jet from USAF

Tracking civilian plane activity is much easier than tracking military aircraft activity.

The possibility of it being a prisoner tansport is pretty slim in my opinion. With a little research, I think that you will find most secret prisoner transport is either contracted to private third parties, or done by the Department of Justice, not the USAF.

The information that I could find for USAF Registration 20202 follows:

Search shows mfg & model #
UNITED STATES AIR FORCE
Aircraft: Boeing 737BBJ
Reg: 20202

shows another photo June '05 in Georgia U.S., confirms model #

Aircraft: United States - US Air Force (USAF) Boeing 737-700(BBJ)
Location:Atlanta Hartsfield Int'l Airport - KATL USA - Georgia
Registration/Serial No./Date: 20202 / June 30, 2005

The most detail about the aircraft, (not the mission), is found here

Role: Special purpose passenger and VIP transport. Air Force operates two leased 737 BBJ aircraft. The 737 BBJ(Boeing Business Jet) special purpose aircraft joined the Air Force VIP fleet in July 2002.

The BBJs are capable of being converted to a standard configuration of 36 passengers, or a VIP configuration of 30 passengers.

Air Force’s No.34 Squadron, based at Royal Australian Air Force Fairbairn in Canberra, will continue to operate and crew the SP fleet, with the service and maintenance now contracted to Qantas.

My best guess is also that it is a VIP transport, not a prisoner transport.

You may be able to find more by researching Qantas maintenance records, or by searching the local news for any US VIP Rep visit.

Best of Luck
makeitso

[edit on 27-8-2005 by makeitso]

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 01:43 PM
link   
It was in our TV news some month or two ago. Slovak and Czech media said, that this plane was transporting prisoners from Iraq. I cannot confirm, if the prisoners were really in. I can only said, that the whole fact is , that it landed four times in Ruzyne airport in Prague. In (official) flight protocol it was referred as diplomatic flight.

One another thing - it is not USAF aircraft. USAF identifies its B737s as C-40A.

[edit on 27-8-2005 by matej]

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 03:12 PM
link   
From what I have found so far.

AF code 20202 is a Boeing C-40C - actual code 02-0202 (02 denoting the year of first service).
This particular aircraft is operated by the DC Air National Guard and is listed as having four previous identities before it's USAF purchase: N754BC, N1787B, N329K and VP-BFE.
So, I'd say it is not a true BBJ but has been "upgraded", probably with new engines and the wingtip extensions.

Don't ya just love the internet

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Prisoners were transported mostly in G5's (much lower profile)

That plane probably transports some V.I.P, my guess a high ranking government official, from a undersecretary of the state department to a high NSA, CIA member...

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 06:11 AM
link   
It's a VIP bird. They use it when they go into countries that are less than friendly to Americans. They used to have a C-135 painted the same way. The only markings are the registration number, and the small flag on the tail. Everyone travelling onboard flies in civilian clothes so that they don't know they're military.

top topics

join