It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britain Disagrees with USA's UN Proposal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Britain will join other countries to confront president Bush about proposals to the UN. John Bolton, US ambassador to the UN, proposed over 750 changes to the 36 page draft, that among other things, calls for an overhaul of the current plan including the rewriting of the document 'from scratch'.

Among other things, the changes (if made) would significantly undermine the UN summit; one of the most important gathering of leaders world wide. Britain has verbally clashed with the US over proposed changes and along with the EU, continues to stand by the original plan. Mr. Bolton's comments have provoked negative reactions of those that support the current plan including aid groups, organisations and UN counties.

www.guardian.co.uk
Britain will join an international alliance to confront George Bush and salvage as much as possible of an ambitious plan to reshape the United Nations and tackle world poverty next week .
The head-to-head in New York on Monday comes after the revelation that the US administration is proposing wholesale changes to crucial parts of the biggest overhaul of the UN since it was founded more than 50 years ago.

A draft of that plan had included a review of progress on the UN's millennium development goals - poverty eradication targets set in 2000 for completion by 2015 - and the introduction of reforms aimed at repairing the damage done to the UN's reputation by Iraq, Rwanda and the Balkans.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The world is screaming loudly again about the lack of equal participation from the US in the UN summit. Rewriting the plan to include all of Bolton's changes is madness. This imperialist attitude to world poverty and other joint causes gives other countries a bad impression of the US and undermines all the good work people do there to fight global causes.

Mr. Bush as usual throwing his weight around. The UK usually 'best mate' allies with the US have chosen not to stand behind Bush on this one. That the UK is firmly rooted in its position and not running behind the US to curry favour, is a sign that either things are changing or that this is really a high profile error in judgement on the part of Bush.

[edit on 27-8-2005 by nikelbee]

[edit on 10-9-2005 by DJDOHBOY]

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 05:44 AM
link   
I think the US should just withdrawl from the UN. Remove all funding and leave the UN in the hands of whom ever wants to run it.

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 07:17 AM
link   
I pretty much agree with Rikimaru, the best solution would be for the UN to go the way of the league of nations...it may have been useful during the cold war but no longer serves any real purpose.

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I think you'd find the United States needs the UN just as much as the United Nations needs it. How else could the United States manufacture consent? Or atleast make it look like it has any scrap of respect for international law? Without the UN the United States would look like exactly what it is - a rogue nation.

If the United States pulled out and the UN moved to London or Brussels it wouldnt collapse as the League of Nations did. It is far more advanced than that archaic body was. If I were a head of state of a UNSC member I'd of drafted a resolution to expel the United States from the UN over the Iraq war. Then slap it with sanctions and see how well she fairs without the rest of the World.

No man is an island, and the same applies to the United States.

Bolton can huff and puff until his moustache turns blue for all the UN will care. It wont succumb to the demands of the United States as they hope with their strong man in place. They might get some changes through but they are kidding themselves if they think they will re-write the UN charter "from scratch".

[edit on 27/8/05 by subz]

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I totally agree with subz post. I really do not see why everything has to fit around the US agenda.

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Agree with Subs as well. The US should be leaved with sanctions, but like the bully in the school yard they would probably try to start(another?) war. Maybe the US does need to be an isolationist country. I mean it isn't like they honour their agreements when they are foinf to be in the wrong.

Ahh isn't puberty wonderfiul?

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I to am with Subz point of view on this as well, though I think the US is a rouge nation now. With a mentally deranged criminally insane unelected POTUS at the helm. Not to mention this John Bolton character he is only a temp since when do temps try to make change, are they not there to hold the course.

[edit on 27/8/2005 by Sauron]

top topics

join