It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Venezuela Suspends Missionaries after Roberston's Comment

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 04:33 AM
link   
The Venezuelan government has temporarily suspended permits for foreign missionaries so regulations on preachers in the country can be tightened. The announcement comes just four days after Pat Roberston's politically incorrect comments. The televangalist has suggested that Hugo Chavez, president of Venezuela, should be assassinated.

In addition, the Reverand Ted Haggard, president of the National Association of Evangelicals, is seeking to meet with Chavez to discuss the safety of the US missionaries in Venezuela and to distance US Christians from Roberston's remarks.

www.nytimes .com
CARACAS, Venezuela, Aug. 26 (Reuters) - Venezuela's government temporarily suspended permits for foreign missionaries on Friday, four days after the American evangelist Pat Robertson called for the assassination of President Hugo Chávez.

The chief of the Justice Ministry's religious affairs unit, Carlos González, said Friday that authorization of permits for missionaries would be curbed while the government tightened regulations on preachers inside Venezuela.

The permits "are suspended for a short time, it could be three or four weeks, while we organize a system to see what additional data we need for people coming into the country to preach," Mr. González said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is political pay-back for Robertson's ill made remarks. Regardless how I feel about foreign missionaries (I've had bad experiences) some truly care about providing care for the poorer people of the world. However, as official envoys of a country they should be regulated so they don't have the automatic power of diplomats.

In addition, I'm speaking from a conspirator here, what is to stop a foreign missionary from wanting to see Robertson's wish made true? Not all Christians are created equal and no one can deny it has its zealots.

It is unfortunate that Venezuela will possibly suffer as a consequence, losing some spiritually enlightened individuals who devote their lives to the cause of the betterment of man.

On the other hand - many foreign missionaries will stop at nothing to impose their will on so called 'savage' countries and forcibly convert them to their religion.

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk
www.smh.com.au
www.chron.com

[edit on 27-8-2005 by nikelbee]

[edit on 10-9-2005 by DJDOHBOY]

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 04:58 AM
link   
"On the other hand - many foreign missionaries will stop at nothing to impose their will on so called 'savage' countries and forcibly convert them to their religion"

oh please, no missionary forces them to do anything. they provide with food, medical care, and shelter. Who do you always see on tv asking for donations to feed starving children in these countries? I'll give you a hint! its not the bleeding hearts who always whine and cry about the poor starving people but do nothing. It's organizations like united christian fund.

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Have you ever worked with missionaries or are you basing your opinions on television?

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Oh and btw - your comment regarding televised christianity is ironic considering who did we see on the tube last week? The 'great' evangalist Pat Roberston condoning the death of another human being.

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 05:25 AM
link   
are you talking to me?

If you are than yes i have worked with churches that send missionaries to honduras, and other regions. I did not say what pat robertson said was ok, and IMO he put his foot in his mouth.

Im saying you cant say all christians are bad, or we convert by forcing "heathens", that kind of stuff hasnt happened in centuries.
christians convert people by humbling themselves to care and help other people. Others see this and wish to learn more.

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Yes I am speaking to you. I have worked in South America with missionaries and it DOES happen still. Today. Not a century ago. Now. Many foreign missionaries get disillusioned with slow progress and feel that catholics should be baptists, baptists should be mormons, mormons should be jehovas. Yes, they are all down there as we speak - preaching the word of God how THEY see fit and damn everyone else.

Btw - you are taking my words out of context. Note how I put my information regarding missionaries into TWO paragraphs. On a different point, have you ever considered working for Fox news? You ignore the bit where I say some missionaries are good and just quote the 'some are bad' comments I made. Here it is again for your benefit.

It is unfortunate that Venezuela will possibly suffer as a consequence, losing some spiritually enlightened individuals who devote their lives to the cause of the betterment of man.

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 06:00 AM
link   
After Robertsons unfortunate blurt about assasination, I would be hesitant about allowing missionaries into the country as well. I don't blame him for cancelling the permits.

I have had a lengthy contact with the mindset of missionaries, since my grand daddy and great grand daddy were active for most of their lives in Indonesia and South Africa, respectively. Both were active in the military in both places as things deteriorated into a shooting war.

The pleasant personalities disappear rapidly when the shooting starts and the active destruction of the native culture becomes the #1 priority. My father too, was very active in the Indonesian conflict as he followed his fathers footsteps there. Unfortunately for him, it was not sugar coated words and actions of what we feel should be a missionaries demeanor, but more the active killing of the icons of that culture and the destruction of such things as altars deemed pagan.

Pat Robertsons' diatribe will be taken up as a banner by certain members of the Evangelical armies bound for South America, just as they did, in my personal family history, in both places mentioned above.

[edit on 27-8-2005 by masqua]

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Masqua

Your comments seem to be along the lines of the things I have experienced from being in close proximity to missionaries. My family too were involved in church work in other countries and often I found that even the best intentions eroded quickly when confronted with opposition, prejudice and sometimes just a lack of understand of other cultures.

While I myself am not a christian, some of the missionaries I knew remained enlightened and positive despite the years of homesickness, language barriers and cultural misunderstandings not to mentioned absolute drivel as compensation for dedicating your life for others.

However, my conclusion is that when you go to work in another country and try to instill your own values and ideals over the beliefs of the populace, it will have its negative consequences. Therefore, I think the most successful missionaries are those that try to preach by good will and example, providing care, educating and helping in term of hygienic awareness and illiteracy. The forced inculcation of any specific denomination is a mistake despite the best intentions.

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Stop all oil shipments out of the country. Stop all food shipments in or out. Send "Jimmy" down to live with the communist b@$&*#d. The next Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, Saddam is in Venezuela. Pat Robertson was right.

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Hmmm yes, an embargo on the OIL, that's a wise, intelligent idea. Any clue about how reliant the US is on Venezuela's oil at the moment? How is that not going to hurt the US?

[edit on 27-8-2005 by nikelbee]

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Not only is it logical for Venezuela to do this, but the missionaries currently in-country going about their assigned ministries could now be at risk. That is the immediate issue to me, and I'm glad Ted Haggard is making efforts to address this.

Robertson didn't just make a fool of himself, he put his supposedly beloved fellow Christians at risk. He should step down from the pulpit and retire, imo.

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Chalk another one up for Chavez. He is mirroring the lauded treatment of muslim scholars in Pakistan by Musharraf. If he wanted to push the issue he could expell all foreign Christians coming to Venezuela, just like Musharaff.

If Chavez deems Christians to be a threat to him ala Robertson's assassination comment then he is more than in his rights to secure himself as World's Most Favoured Dictator Musharaff is doing.

new topics

top topics

join