It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time to play hardball with Tonga

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 03:01 AM
link   
It's understood they agreed on most of the conditions, but wouldn't buckle on one point. They say they want a 60 - 80% pay rise and that's non-negotiable.
"We have to mobilise the business sectors and the public to show our discontent to the monarchy and the government," says Finau Tutone, chairman of the union for striking workers.
"There is a political dimension to this dispute, that underlying the industrial strike there is a call for reform, " Foreign Affairs Minister Phil Goff says.

"There is a call for a constitutional monarchy and democracy that is not a topic this particular delegation can assist with."

After three days of discussions the government and union of workers have failed to even agree on a process for mediation.
link

The people rely heavily on aid from New Zealand - about $4 million annually - to maintain public services, with annual aid being substantially greater than GDP
link

The NZ government needs to apply more diplomatic pressure to the current government of Tonga. Here we have chance to influence a peacefull change to democracy it would be ashame if the opportunity was lost due to the NZ government sitting on its hands. To be fair the NZ government send a team in order to effect mediation.

NZ aid money should be cut off untill the Tongan government becomes a functoning democracy. When the time comes and Tonga becomes a democracy aid money should be distrbuted thou a thrid party in order to prevent the evils of corrupation.

[edit on 27-8-2005 by xpert11]

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 01:42 AM
link   
I'm sorry mate, but are you a zealander yerself?
Because this is quite ..ummm.. shall I say ...regional..
What did you guys do when there was acoup in Fiji?

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 03:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Daedalus3
I'm sorry mate, but are you a zealander yerself?
Because this is quite ..ummm.. shall I say ...regional..
What did you guys do when there was acoup in Fiji?

I live in New Zealand. The current events in Iraq could also be called regional.
As for the 2000 coup NZ probaly couldnt have taken military action even if that option had been put on table. In 2000 its probaly the same story although questions could hang over the justice system in Fiji.

Bin Ladin isnt stupid him or one of his croines must know that the likes of Tonga provide ideal populations for breeding a new generation of extremists. The only thing that appers to be stopping them is the lack of a Islamic community.

join